Resining

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few questions. First of all, why do you need to resin? Is it really that necessary? What happens if I accidentally resined my helmet with waterproofing resin with latex added, will I be able to bondo it? I appreciate your help. Thanks a million guys.

Resin is just a readily available substance that is good at stiffening the pepakura framework. It soaks well into the paper and bonds just as well and is easy to apply for the most part. I wouldn't go as far as saying it is necessary but it really does help reinforce the structure. Once you start putting bondo on there and sanding, the last thing you want is a weak substructure from which to build from.

As for the bondo - it'll stick to just about anything. I doubt it being waterproof and/or have latex in it will effect its bonding capabilities. I do believe that some molding compounds have adverse reactions to latex though which is why casters/molders around here always suggest wearing vinyl gloves during the molding process.

Just give the resin layer a light sanding to help the bondo stick and you should be good to go. If you are really worried about the type of resin used, you can add a layer of standard fiberglass resin atop of the waterproof/latex resin.

If you think that the resin you used reinforced your framework hardly, then you don't have to worry when you apply bondo. But if you feel it can't hold the framework, then you will have to reinforce your piece hardly enough and use diferent type of resin.

You need resin so that bondo will be able to adhere and stay supported on the structure. Also, fiberglass resin is necessary to turn the actual fiberglass from a flexible material to hard-as-a-rock material. So yes, aqua-resin or fiberglass resin are necessary unless you want it to bend like rubber, look blocky and undetailed, and not hold paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back