Small question…

Status
Not open for further replies.

shedg

Hi everyone here is my question: i resined my scout helmet inside and outside but is better to cut the visor out before or after apply the glass cloth? and when it's better to use primary paint on my helmet?before or after using the body filler?

I haven't cut my visor out yet, and I've fibreglassed. I'm sure someone more experienced can answer for sure, but I would say after fibreglass would be best as it's much stronger.

As for primary paint, if you used it before using body filler, wouldn't you be covering all the paint over with filler? I'd say paint comes after filler and some smoothing.

Leave the visor in. One of the major reasons for putting resin on alone beforehand is to help support the weight of the wet fibreglass. It helps to keep the model from deforming ("warping") before the fibreglass hardens. The visor adds further structural strength.

Primer is used to help regular paint adhere to the body filler, thus it needs to go on after the filler is applied.

*Edit - Coroidan answered at the same time I did, so I agree with them :) *

Usually i glass the helmet first and then cut out the visor. Some people even glass the inside of the visor so you get a cleaner cut, but i think that'd require a dremel or some sort of precise power tool (which i dont have).
As for the paint, i'd imagine you'd want the outer surface entirely how you want (Bondo and all) it before you paint it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back