Super Noob - Needs Input And Help For Upcoming Project!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berserker44

Hi I am new to this forum and the whole armor building process. I've spent alot of time researching what to do but I have still have some specific questions.

First I want to make sure everything is alright with my steps.

Please feel free to add input or correct me!!!

Get appropriate PEP files

Adjust pep files

Print pep armor (using card stock)

fold and glue (super glue) pieces together

Waterproof the Cardstock using aqua resin

Fiberglass the inside

-not sure what to do to the outside, do I leave it alone and paint it or do I do something else?

Paint

strapping and padding

extra details

this is my plan for the moment. my main question is that I am not sure what to do between adding the resin-painting it.

ALso I have some minor questions like

-which method looks the best?, smooth mold casting or fiberglass it (or some other method I don't know about)? - I don't care about the difficulty/time/cost, I can handle it (I think)

-How do I size myself for the armor (not scaling)? is there a good guide out there for me?

ALso please don't say Google It or its in the forum. I've spent hours on end just trying to find some of the basic information, but the fact is, there is some many ways to make armor, and so many finished products (some really good, some are really really bad) that I might possible end up with messed up product. Thank you for your time

Berserker said:
Hi I am new to this forum and the whole armor building process. I've spent alot of time researching what to do but I have still have some specific questions.

First I want to make sure everything is alright with my steps.

Please feel free to add input or correct me!!!

Get appropriate PEP files

Adjust pep files

Print pep armor (using card stock)

fold and glue (super glue) pieces together

Waterproof the Cardstock using aqua resin

Fiberglass the inside

-not sure what to do to the outside, do I leave it alone and paint it or do I do something else?

Paint

strapping and padding

extra details

this is my plan for the moment. my main question is that I am not sure what to do between adding the resin-painting it.

ALso I have some minor questions like

-which method looks the best?, smooth mold casting or fiberglass it (or some other method I don't know about)? - I don't care about the difficulty/time/cost, I can handle it (I think)

-How do I size myself for the armor (not scaling)? is there a good guide out there for me?

ALso please don't say Google It or its in the forum. I've spent hours on end just trying to find some of the basic information, but the fact is, there is some many ways to make armor, and so many finished products (some really good, some are really really bad) that I might possible end up with messed up product. Thank you for your time

after u resin the inside and out and tehn fiber glass u use bondo body filler to give your armor strenght and detail

Last edited by a moderator:
Aqua resin isn't necessary, Plain fibreglass resin works fine too. Though Aqua is more pricey, I believe it generally is alot better.

Glueing: I Use Hot Glue, Works better for me because if you make a mistake or glue it wonky, you place the heated nozzle on the "flap", It melts the glue and comes undone.

Also it dries within seconds.

Stage after Resin:

When your piece is fibreglassed (on the INSIDE ONLY) and resined on the outside, You CAN just sand the resin to make it a tad smoother, and paint, though its not reccomended.

You want to get Body Filler used for filling in dents in cars, It's what most of us use, It's also known as just "Bondo". But Body Filler is the correct name you want to ask for in a shop.

It works the same as resin, You mix the gloopy grey stuff with hardener, place it on your piece, with a 5mm thick layer (averagely).

After this you sand and sand and sand, ALOT of sanding is required, and sometimes more bondo is needed, Then more sanding ontop of that.

Any small holes left from the body filler can be filled with "Spot Putty", Which dries without hardener, Then sand over it.

At this point your piece should be incredibly smooth.

THEN you paint.

EDIT:

Deathcoreknight said:
after u resin the inside and out and tehn fiber glass u use bondo body filler to give your armor strenght and detail

Ignore this guy. Bondo is NOT used for strength, and rarely detail. Just for smoothing out the piece.

Though you CAN use a dremel to sand details into the bondo, But details already on the pep piece, should be kept away from Bondo as chances are it will ruin the details.

Also: Bondo is as weak as card. Don't use for strength.

-Stig

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow you guys are amazing! thanks for the fast response!

If anyone could help me with the sizing/scaling method, that'll be great too!

Thanks again guys for the help, really appreciate it!

I may be able to help with the scaling. For a start, what piece are you making.

Second how tall are you. I can give you an average size, but only for helmets really.

Otherwise look Here.

PM me if you need any more help, Or just post here if you'd prefer.

-Stig

PS: DeathCore, Don't get the wrong idea, I had no intentions of being rude, I just didn't want the new guy going off and doing the wrong thing, I'm sorry if I was rude though.

for sizing and scaling all you have to do is fallow this link here

EDIT:

If you have any other questions, almost all of your questions could be answered in abrand3's tutorials.

I may be wrong but I think the aqua resin is water-based so you'll want to put a coat of water proof paint on before you resin or you may end up with a puddle of pep.

Other than that it looks like a great plan of action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back