What pads do you use in your helmet, and do you find them comfortable?

RamenN00dl3

I've looked at a few options for my helmet and so far I've been unimpressed. I have tried three different types from Amazon and they always seem to end up too thick, too stiff, or both. The first option I tried had a nice cushion, but the pads themselves were really too thick and made the helmet sit a bit too high on my head as the pads come in two parts. The others really just weren't very comfortable. Better than nothing, but barely. Just curious what you all have tried and ended up using, and what results you've had? If you can drop a link that's even better. Thanks all!

I've used a variety of different padding in different helmets, the first few being eva foam(stiffer) and upholstery foam(less stiff). both of these worked great and you just have to find a balance you like. also, i know that a ton of people use bicycle helmet padding sets, that can be found on Amazon. hope this helps !

Bike helmet pads are a great place to look! You can check them out and see what works for you. You might need to add more padding as you see fit.

you guys put pads in your helmet?
1692616605259.png

I've always just used eva foam lol
If you get the configuration right I wan wear a helmet for 6 hours no problems. It is quite a light helmet though

you guys put pads in your helmet?
View attachment 334743

I've always just used eva foam lol
If you get the configuration right I wan wear a helmet for 6 hours no problems. It is quite a light helmet though
On heavier helmets (3D print / resin cast) it’s super useful to have solid padding. Trust me, you can feel it after an hour or so if the padding isn’t right

i use a helmet suspension system for airflow. like a hard hat
Me too, it is perfect. Just cut the suspension system right out of my old hard hat. I have a little circle of EVA at the top to help avoid bumpies.

I have also used military helmet pads. You can buy them new or used pretty cheap and configure them however works best since they are velcro based.

i use a helmet suspension system for airflow. like a hard hat

Me too, it is perfect. Just cut the suspension system right out of my old hard hat. I have a little circle of EVA at the top to help avoid bumpies.

I have also used military helmet pads. You can buy them new or used pretty cheap and configure them however works best since they are velcro based.

I'm curious how you have the room for that sort of system? I have looked at the suspension system but I feel like I have maybe 1/2-inch at most before it starts to look like the helmet is sitting too high on my head, and I feel like the suspension system would take a fair bit more than that to work. I'm not sure how I would even mount it in the helmet, I feel like I barely have room for a couple fans and a battery, let alone the gear mechanism for a hardhat. I don't feel like my helmet is sized too small, it looks proportional to me so I'm just curious how you fit that all together?

Great question! Not only how you size it, but also which type of helmet, will heavily influence the options you have. So this may not be an option for you. I've included a photo holding my helmet to show I don't think mine is oversized. I also like that it sits high because it makes me look taller. :)

The construction helmet method is less about the suspension and more about the cinching headband. Padding is for more than just comfort. It needs to be tight on your head so when you look left/right or up/down your helmet moves at the same time.

To do this with padding, traps a lot of heat inside. The construction band allows for more airflow.

The only way I could figure out how to do this was cutting the top off my (blue) hardhat and mounting the whole thing inside to secure the suspension rig (grey).

16926616389505777877131216712153.jpg20220617_161357.jpgDuke Front 2.jpg

Great question! Not only how you size it, but also which type of helmet, will heavily influence the options you have. So this may not be an option for you. I've included a photo holding my helmet to show I don't think mine is oversized. I also like that it sits high because it makes me look taller. :)

The construction helmet method is less about the suspension and more about the cinching headband. Padding is for more than just comfort. It needs to be tight on your head so when you look left/right or up/down your helmet moves at the same time.

To do this with padding, traps a lot of heat inside. The construction band allows for more airflow.

The only way I could figure out how to do this was cutting the top off my (blue) hardhat and mounting the whole thing inside to secure the suspension rig (grey).

View attachment 334790View attachment 334789View attachment 334791

That's a good point about the head turning and pads needing to be relatively tight to do that. I had considered that but because I hadn't quite figured out a solution yet I wasn't sure beyond "add more pads" how to get to that point. Good note about the straps, I'll have to grab my hard hat and see if it could work. My helmet is just a standard Mark VI helmet, fairly hollow, so seeing your photo gives me some hope that this may be the solution. My only real concerns are a) will it fit and b) will I be able to adjust it without too much hassle. I have a head cover (similar to a balaclava) that I'll be wearing that I could see the straps kinda messing with, but definitely gives me more to consider. Going off your photo, it looks like the helmet still essentially rests on top of your head, the straps are purely for turning and keeping the helmet centered?

I second that the construction helmet attachment method is going to be more comfortable in the long run mainly due to allow your head to breath more and not get as hot.

I'm looking at this option and I'm thinking I can trim the front nubs off to better fit in the helmet. Part of the problem I'm looking at is the interior of the helmet doesn't have a whole lot of real estate to actually glue the attachment points of the harness to, especially in the front where the visor will go. The harness needs to be fairly low profile so it's all hidden and based on the picture this looks decent, just thinking I'll just need to try it and see. The Mark VI helmet definitely doesn't have much of a brow on the inside, and I still need to think about fan and battery placement...
20230821_193830.jpg

20230821_193908.jpg

20230821_193919.jpg

Last edited:
the suspension i have doesn't have the gear to tighten it. i found a basic one with pins instead. you can see it here
It's interesting seeing other people's helmet interiors, I don't know if it's just the angle or lighting or what, but they all seem so much more spacious than mine. I searched quite a bit last night looking for a solution and I found one suspension set that was fairly cheap that I'm going to try, though I'll keep this idea in the back pocket for now. I didn't see many, if any, options that didn't have the ratchet gear in the back so I'm not sure where I'll procure one but good to know they exist.

Based on some advice from 501st friends I use ACH (US Army combat helmet) pads in mine. The pads cover the whole helmet and velcro in for easy of removal. I have a photo of my ODST helmet setup attached.

Attachments

• PXL_20230827_194317085.jpg
    PXL_20230827_194317085.jpg
    512.1 KB · Views: 95
I've had good luck with a combo of generic helmet pads I found on Amazon and making custom pads with upholstery foam (covered in black fabric)

IMG_20200803_084140.JPG

I've done this in the two helmets I've completed and will do it for the next one I am working on too.

Man, I feel like I have no room inside my helmet compared to some of these. I got a suspension strap that seems to fit, but I'm having a hard time also fitting in the two fans I have with a tiny USB battery pack. One will fit alright up and behind my head on top, but the other other feasible spot is literally next to my ear which I feel may be a problem sound-wise, let alone catching my hair.

I'm in the process of reprinting my helmet so I might scale it up just slightly, but I doubt 2% will do much for me on this end, I think it's more just a function of the helmet shape itself. Definitely not designed with a lot of this stuff in mind.

This thread is more than 7 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back