My Hayabusa Armor Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

howaado

Heres some progress on my Recon helmet. (sorry for the poor pictures, used my cell to take those photos. I should have a better camera soon.)

4838e763000e82da0000602uy4.jpg

4838e789000229de0000621ci2.jpg

After first coat of aqua-resin on the outside, I should have more progress on monday if the weather is permiting.

It works really well, just put a second coat on the outside and a shreaded/resin mix on the inside. I am going to take some of the fiberglass cloth and put that on the inside tomorrow and add a third coat.

Sorry for the double post but I had a question that has been bugging me all day. The color I have chosen to use on my helmet is the Krylon "True Blue", and I wasn't completely sure which color visor would go best with it. I was leaning more towards a custom look but I wasn't sure.
483b51070000021a00003b1fn5.jpg

I know the image is junk but it was a quick one I took to use as a reference to the color I was using.

Quadraxis said:
Sorry for the double post but I had a question that has been bugging me all day. The color I have chosen to use on my helmet is the Krylon "True Blue", and I wasn't completely sure which color visor would go best with it. I was leaning more towards a custom look but I wasn't sure.
483b51070000021a00003b1fn5.jpg

I know the image is junk but it was a quick one I took to use as a reference to the color I was using.

I think a regular visor would look fine. More in-game realism, IMO.

Blue Team FTW.

Last edited by a moderator:
Slight update:
Started putting fiberglass cloth on the inside, sadly couldn't finish the whole inside because I ran out of the "L" compound. Big gust of wind knocked most of it on the ground, and lost about 3oz. Ordered more and I have some update pics.
dscn0904ca1.jpg

dscn0906ch0.jpg

dscn0909nz1.jpg

dscn0913ln1.jpg

I realize my fiberglassing job isn't the best, but I think it is good for my first time using fiberglass cloth.

ImaGonnaGetYou said:

Blue Team FTW.

True, can't go wrong with standard visor. I did a color test in photoshop and I am pleased with it.
myrecontestyc2.jpg

Recon is my favorite perm of all (probably cuz nobody can have it :D )

How is the aqua resin holding out for you? it looks pretty good at this point.

CPU64 said:
Empty Wii stand? I wonder if the Dreamcast got rid of it :D
lol, no it was only moved to be used on a larger TV.

rvb4life said:
Recon is my favorite perm of all (probably cuz nobody can have it :D )
How is the aqua resin holding out for you? it looks pretty good at this point.
What I have on it now it has alot of strength, and before I put the fiberglass in it yesterday it got knocked on cement by the wind, and I didn't see any structure damage (that was with 2 outer coats and the shreaded/resin mix on the inside).

*UPDATE 5/28* Got another trial set in the mail yesterday, and just finished putting fiberglass in the rest of the helmet, going to add another coat to the outside later today or tomorrow, then I will put some of the fiberglass vail overtop of the fiberglass cloth for a smoother, strenghtened inside.

*UPDATE 6/1* Since friday I have been working on smoothing the helmet, it is not easy but I am making progress. I currently have the top and part of each sides smooth. I will try to add some pictures on monday/tuesday.

*UPDATE 6/2* Did more smoothing not completely done yet but I have made some progress. Heres some update pics, I am currently working on the top of the helmet.
dscn0914pl3.jpg

dscn0915at4.jpg

dscn0916qe9.jpg

dscn0918oi8.jpg

dscn0919ce9.jpg

dscn0920nf2.jpg

dscn0921mh2.jpg

Looking good Quad! I hope you're still enjoying the A.R. :)

Dunno if you've used the veil yet, watch out for splinters on the edges XD I'm still picking some of the shards out of my hands because I accidentally picked up my torso without my gloves on XD

Thats gonna need a heck of a bondo makeover, its way too rough right now.

At least you get something done, unlike me, who has to deal with nothing to show right now :cautious:

@SCG Yea I like working with the A.R., didn't have much trouble with the veil, I wore gloves so I haven't gotten any in my hands, and I covered the inside over all the fiberglass with more resin to keep it from stabbing me in the head and ripping any padding I put in it.

@RVB Started using Bondo body filler, and I must say that it is definitely hard to work with, but being smooth its getting there.

ImaGonnaGetYou said:

Blue Team FTW.

If you have ever looked at the in game recon visor, It's actually ORANGE (like the legendary helmet visor).
The recon helmet visor is the only visor wich isnt gold...

-Fin(n)ish

Finnish_Spartan said:
If you have ever looked at the in game recon visor, It's actually ORANGE (like the legendary helmet visor).
The recon helmet visor is the only visor wich isnt gold...

-Fin(n)ish
Actually it's not, the Recon visor is the same color as all the others. The reason it looks slightly different is because it's smaller than the others and doesn't reflect the light in the same way (the Hayabusa is similar)... this only works for those with the armor in-game, but if you go to the appearance setting and switch though all the different helmets you'll see that it's exactly the same as the rest ;)

The helmet is looking good Quadraxis :)

@ Belakor : That's kinda the same thing with the EOD, or is it really orange?

---

Your smoothing is gonna need a lot of work like rvb said, and i'd be careful not to go overboard on the spot putty. It can crack if you put it on too thick.

looking at it though, the recon looks like it would be REALLY easy to smooth. Not very many undercuts at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back