Uk Product Variants

Status
Not open for further replies.
sierra092 said:
IS the polyester filler the UK equivalent to the US's bondo?

Yup, this one says Polyester on it but most of them are polyester.

You mix in the hardner and slop it on, smooth it out. Let it dry and sand.

I like to cut it whilst it's still soft but not sticky, saves a lot of sanding time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jonny said:
Yup, this one says Polyester on it but most of them are polyester.

You mix in the hardner and slop it on, smooth it out. Let it dry and sand.

I like to cut it whilst it's still soft but not sticky, saves a lot of sanding time.

Alright thanks, I'll remember that for when I eventually do my armour

sierra092 said:
I found this kit while on the Halfords website: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId_194319_langId_-1_categoryId_165625#dtab

Do you think its good value and has all the needs products in it (excluding the body filler and spot putty).

Also, whats the difference between fibreglass mat and tissue?

Aye, I've used that kit before, it's not bad for the price. You get quite a bit of fibreglass matting in the pack too.

I've not really used tissue before but I'd guess that it would be finer and more 'bitty' than the matting.

RedTogusa said:
Aye, I've used that kit before, it's not bad for the price. You get quite a bit of fibreglass matting in the pack too.

I've not really used tissue before but I'd guess that it would be finer and more 'bitty' than the matting.

So i'll probably get that for the first batch of resining armour :p

I found a dremel at home today! that saves me £30 :D

heh - mate; seems like you are encountering the problem I had when I 1st started down this route :D

yeah the kit from halfords is pretty good for small projects should be enough to do a helmet and some armour

it does add up if you are planning bigger projects eg full set of armour etc

2 types of FG material

1. cloth - its a sheet

2. chopped strand matting - sheets, my personal fav.

3. tissue - indeed its mroe bitty; think cotton candy like, not bad for fine corners, but to use this for swathes of surface; its just a pain

examples here - http://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/store/-c-42.html?osCsid=307b565297fd75e6f4a2592ea191b49c

once you get in teh swing of things - you may want more of the stuff (it gets cheaper too!)

this is the shop I use, failing ok shippin, but mroe importantly its local to me.

but look in teh yellowpages - boat repair or fibgreglass merchants.

bondo is any body filler you get at a auto shop

in UK - easiest source is Halfords

also known as Isopon 38 (small pots), btu as usual, larger pots are cheaper

I use this stuff - http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_203155_langId_-1_categoryId_165625

good luck mate

Heatshock said:
heh - mate; seems like you are encountering the problem I had when I 1st started down this route :D

yeah the kit from halfords is pretty good for small projects should be enough to do a helmet and some armour

it does add up if you are planning bigger projects eg full set of armour etc

2 types of FG material

1. cloth - its a sheet

2. chopped strand matting - sheets, my personal fav.

3. tissue - indeed its mroe bitty; think cotton candy like, not bad for fine corners, but to use this for swathes of surface; its just a pain

examples here - http://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/store/-c-42.html?osCsid=307b565297fd75e6f4a2592ea191b49c

once you get in teh swing of things - you may want more of the stuff (it gets cheaper too!)

this is the shop I use, failing ok shippin, but mroe importantly its local to me.

but look in teh yellowpages - boat repair or fibgreglass merchants.

bondo is any body filler you get at a auto shop

in UK - easiest source is Halfords

also known as Isopon 38 (small pots), btu as usual, larger pots are cheaper

I use this stuff - http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_203155_langId_-1_categoryId_165625

good luck mate

I figured the repair kit would only be good for 1 or 2 pieces but i still think i ought to use it first because it'll save me having a large shopping list when i start the resining stage. I wont be on that stage for weeks yet aswel :p

this has been really helpful thank you so much, there is a halfords 2 miles down from where i live, all i need to figure out now is something cheaper for an undersuit

i know this may sound a abit r-tarded but could someone make a list of the cheapest/best things to use to build the helemts/armor with please? from uk shops/sites?

Boyes: Repair kit (resin, hardener and fibreglass. cloth i think) for £6.99

Body filler: £2.99 or 3.5kg tub for £16

Go have a look around you nearest halfords and boyes to compare prices dude :)

boyes also sell pretty much all thigns needed for armour like straps and buckles etc.

So me and wired renamed it the "405th shop"

what about straps that hold the armour up and together?

can i buy those in halfords coz i dont have a boyes anywhere within 300 miles of me lol

Well, I hve been using the Isopon P38 for a while, and its amazing. However, I ran out, and so decided to try U-Pol easy sand. I have to say, the Isopon P38 is WAY WAY better. The Isopon P38 is much easier to spread and detail, and it mixes easier too. The U-Pol seems to be thicker, and you get air in it easier when mixing it. Also, because its thicker, it seems to cure to the point of not being able to work with it a bit faster.

I also cannot honestly see any difference in the sanding however. Both seem to sand just as well.

Over all, go for the Isopon P38. Well worth it.

Got some fiberglass resin and matt fiberglass today and was quite suprised at how cheaply I got it. Wilco has 1ltr David's Fastglas Resin for £12.99. I thought that was pretty good for a litre. The mat sheet only set me back around £2.50 for 0.55m squared and the hardener wasn't much more. Spent about £18 though I'll be going back for more mat fiberglass sheets.

In contrast I spent £9.99 on David's Fastglas Starter Kit in Thorn's which contains 250ml of resin, some hardener, some mat fiberglass (doesn't specify size), a mixing stick, brush, measuring cup, and gloves. It'd be nice if there were more resin provided, I'd have preferred 500ml, but I guess I shouldn't complain.

EDIT: Anyone know a good UK alternative for Smooth-Cast 300? Need something to pour into my assault rifle to harden it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back