Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadet

Executive Officer
Division Staff
Community Staff
Member DIN
S111
Hello anyone who is actually reading this!

I doubt anyone remembers me, but in September of last year I did my best to assemble a Mark V in time for Halo-ween using Moz's awesome pdo files. This is what it ended up looking like:
DSCN1387.jpg

Needless to say, I was never really happy with it. So I’ve decided to go back.

I’ve started by starting to make a new helmet. On my old bucket, when I resined the outside and fiber glassed the inside, I had removed the internal visor support built into the model, which holds the chin section up. As such the face of the helmet was elongated, and made it look odd in most of my pictures. So, I am not going to repeat that mistake, and as you can see, the internal support is still in place and will remain there until I have finished fiber glassing the helmet.
DSCN1684.jpg

DSCN1685.jpg

DSCN1686.jpg

DSCN1687.jpg

As for the rest of the costume, parts I think I can salvage:

The shoulders/upper arms. Cut them back a bit more to fit more like TK (Stormtrooper) shoulder bells, pad them out a bit and clean up the fiberglass more. Most of my sanding and attaching of parts were rush jobs in time for halo-ween. I think to help fix some of the problems I had with arm movement (see the clipping of the shoulders into the chest in any video or machinima from Halo: CE) I might detach the shoulders from the chest armor, and maybe attach them directly to the flight suit, like a lot of Biker Scouts do.

The back pack was pretty good two. Just need to clean it up and add detail, maybe cut out the shoulder boxes and put in speakers. Also I will put the lights down the sides.

Thighs might be salvageable as well. Just need some definite clean up on the fiberglass since I was in a rush and didn’t have access to my power sander. I also want to do the overlapped plates look in the gaps on the thighs that they have on the Mark VI suits, just to look cool. I know it’s not canon on the Mark V to have the plates there, but I will be shooting for something more like this digital painting my brother did for me:
DSCN1403.jpg

Updating the Mark V a bit more, tweaking some parts a little.

Parts I know I will have to redo:

Butt and cod. I figure I might be able to make them attached to a belt, like some guys do for Boba Fett cods (I just realized I was relating a lot of my fixes to Star Wars costumes, that’s what I mostly know) and also have the thighs attach to that belt as well.

AB. I figure, this might actually be able to also attach right onto the flight suit, once again sort of like a Boba Fett ab plate. I will also build it up out of two layers of plastic, to get that nice two tier effect you sort of see in a lot of the renders of the Mark V ab.

Shins will also need to be remade, as well as the forearms. I want to do the forearms in sturdier and thicker material, like styrene or maybe even bondo’d cardboard.

Chest needs to be redone. I want to use some styrene to build up that layered plate look you can se above the chest on the Mark V, like around the neck, just above the main part of the armor.

yo if u find a visor that fits good tell me iv been on hold for a year now thx. oh and shoot the left foot near the big toe lol.

I remember you making HBO when you finished the green suit. Great to have you back man! I'll be watching this project closely. Gotta love the old Mk V. :D

Hey Sigma! Yeah, making the front page of HBO was pretty awesome :)
I actually had a question for you, that I was going to PM you, but since you posted here, I'll throw it out here.
I was reading the thread on your Halo 3 Mark V helmet (Since I read anything with Mark V in the topic title :p ) I notice you simply resined the outside of the bucket before you did the sanding and detailing. Did you not fiberglass the inside? And if not, does the resin on the outside provide enough support to take the bondo with any sagging/make it wearable? Thanks :)

Oh, and rvb18, it was the pinky toe, remember?

"Rest in peace pinky toe...you shall be avenged!"

Yeah, I did fiberglass it on the inside before I began detailing. It doesn't have the structural strength otherwise and since it bends, your bondo will tend to flake off if you don't fiberglass it.

Cadet said:
Hey Sigma! Yeah, making the front page of HBO was pretty awesome :)
I actually had a question for you, that I was going to PM you, but since you posted here, I'll throw it out here.
I was reading the thread on your Halo 3 Mark V helmet (Since I read anything with Mark V in the topic title :p ) I notice you simply resined the outside of the bucket before you did the sanding and detailing. Did you not fiberglass the inside? And if not, does the resin on the outside provide enough support to take the bondo with any sagging/make it wearable? Thanks :)

Oh, and rvb18, it was the pinky toe, remember?

"Rest in peace pinky toe...you shall be avenged!"

yeah, it was the pinky toe...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Cadet! good to see you again!

im glad someone is making a RVB themed suit, and a MKV aint too bad.

Thanks, Sigma. That's what I figured, and I was going to fiberglass mine, just like last time, I just didn't see it in your video. :)

Got the rough fiberglassing done on the bucket over the weekend.

For new people, this is why you leave the support in until you have fiberglassed the bucket:
DSCN1690.jpg

DSCN1691.jpg

You can see the extra misshaping the first helmet, the one on the right, took just sitting around with out the support structure for like a week before I fiberglassed.

Test fitting:
DSCN1695.jpg

Fits okay for the most part, a bit tight,

I had to take out a bit of the back to make it fit:
DSCN1696.jpg

Which I can make work, as if you look in the in game model there's a different material there, and...I sort of need the back to be missing off the bucket so I can put it on.
mjolnirback.jpg

But I want to run with that back of the helmet design a bit, I want to have a sheet of overlapping plastic plates, that will velcro or snap into place on the back, sort of like the overlapping plates on the Mark VI thighs.. That way I can put the helmet on, and then sort of seal myself into it. Here's my idea, ignore the notes on death scene investigation there:
DSCN1697.jpg

I want to have a sheet of overlapping plastic plates, that will velcro or snap into place on the back. That way I can put the helmet on, and then sort of seal myself into it.

Cadet said:
I want to have a sheet of overlapping plastic plates, that will velcro or snap into place on the back. That way I can put the helmet on, and then sort of seal myself into it.
That's what I'm trying with my MkVI. I'm building the "neck plate" out of cardstock and illustration board just like the rest of it, but I think I'm going to try and cast it in something softer. Like, rubber, or if I get too cheap, hot glue. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
More trimming done on the bucket, working on getting the visor to fit better. I've already given it one pass with a heat gone and done some slight reshaping on the visor.

DSCN1706.jpg

DSCN1707.jpg

DSCN1709.jpg

Because it's tradition for me for each stage of helmet progress:
Starry Night
DSCN1712.jpg

Looks to be shaping up pretty well, I'm impressed.
It does look like it would be a little snug, you plan on adding padding on the inside of it?
I also see you cut off a peice near the back, under your ear. o_O

Shaping up nicely though, hope to see more of it soon. =P

not bad, im still smoothing my mk V helmet. The only gripe I have about this is how far back you have the visor. Ill try and find a side view of the games helmet for ya. Other then that, I love it!

EDIT: Heres a pic I just took

[attachment=4809:lkhjlkhj.jpg]

I noticed that too, and I've been slowly sanding and cutting the visor edge outward, don't want to rush it and cut too far, here's the latest after some dremeling and sanding today:

DSCN1716.jpg

Well, I decided to try my had at using the MUD technique tonight. I was very impressed. Little more time and I will have the mixture process and ratios down better. This first batch was kind of runny, and I didn't tape off my area to mudded well enough, so there was some leaking, but, eh, it will get sanded down anyway. Mostly I was unsure of what to mix the bondo and resin together in. Eventually I just put down a a glob of bondo, made a little indent, and poured in the resin, mixed it up some, added the resin hardener, and mixed some more until it seemed fairly consistent, and then spread it on.

DSCN1724.jpg

DSCN1725.jpg

Obviously this is the raw MUD that is till drying, as of the picture it was still slightly tacky.

dude that is an awesome Mark V i tried that model once did turn out ass good as yours at all. any way great job caint wait for the finished product.

Small update, did some more bondoing, mudding, and sanding:

DSCN1726.jpg

DSCN1727.jpg

DSCN1728.jpg

DSCN1729.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back