Se7enheads' Scout Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdstainer

Jr Member
What's up folks?! just got registered a couple days ago and am quite excited to have stumbled across this place! i've started my scout pep and am ready to start resining! woohoo! it's truly great to have this wealth of knowledge at our fingertips and such inspiring work to gaze upon. Here's what i have thus far...
[attachment=4982:007.JPG]
[attachment=4983:008.JPG]
[attachment=4981:009.JPG]
not much to look at as yet, but i'm stoked about it nonetheless

Very nice job on the Scout helmet. It has practically no warping, which will make the resining stage SO much easier. Make sure to resin evenly, though, or it'll become lopsided from different weights.

Welcome to the 405th, and I hope to see more Scout-y goodness!

Last edited by a moderator:
se7enheads said:
What's up folks?! just got registered a couple days ago and am quite excited to have stumbled across this place! i've started my scout pep and am ready to start resining! woohoo! it's truly great to have this wealth of knowledge at our fingertips and such inspiring work to gaze upon. Here's what i have thus far...
[attachment=4982:007.JPG]
[attachment=4983:008.JPG]
[attachment=4981:009.JPG]
not much to look at as yet, but i'm stoked about it nonetheless

wow very nice..looks better than mine did..great job..cant wait to see it glased n resied and painted...

ImaGonnaGetYou said:
Very nice job on the Scout helmet. It has practically no warping, which will make the resining stage SO much easier. Make sure to resin evenly, though, or it'll become lopsided from different weights.

Welcome to the 405th, and I hope to see more Scout-y goodness!

That is surely what i've feared. I have never worked with resin, so this is definitely going to be a trial and error learning experience. Thanks!

Don't worry, you seem to be quit a quick learner, You will run into some roadblocks and mess up sometimes, but everyone messes up sometimes. I believe you have the skill to pop out quite a doozy of a helmet.

Being that i've not a clue what I'm doing, and am relying primarily upon tuts found here, i expect some disappointments. In light of this, does anyone have any suggestions on how to fiberglass this bad boy? there are so many edges and hard to reach areas inside of it that it seems a very daunting task to undertake...

Use some 3M spray adhesive (you can get it at an auto store or in the auto section at walmart, anywhere that sells fiberglass almost) to attach the fiberglass cloth before you resin the cloth. In the hard to reach corners, just pour some resin in it and slosh it around. Also, before all of that when you resin the outside, try stuffing the helmet with some old T-shirts or newspaper to help maintain it's shape and prevent warpage. :D

Looking good and best of luck!

Sigma-LS said:
Use some 3M spray adhesive (you can get it at an auto store or in the auto section at walmart, anywhere that sells fiberglass almost) to attach the fiberglass cloth before you resin the cloth. In the hard to reach corners, just pour some resin in it and slosh it around. Also, before all of that when you resin the outside, try stuffing the helmet with some old T-shirts or newspaper to help maintain it's shape and prevent warpage. :D
Looking good and best of luck!
Thanks for the info, Sigma. I'll be working diligently on it all this weekend and should have updates soon.

That's a pretty good looking helmet, for a first run. I've been doing this for forever, and mine didn't look that nice when I was done.
Also, I hate your face too.

Also, before all of that when you resin the outside, try stuffing the helmet with some old T-shirts or newspaper to help maintain it's shape and prevent warpage.
Srsly. Do it. It'll save you some headache later. Warping in fiberglass is a bitch to get out. Usually requires an industrial heat gun and alot of popsicle sticks.

Thanks, H and everyone for their suggestions! I am finally out of work and ready to tackle this, so hopefully i will have something positive to show for it soon!

Okay, folks...I have fiberglassed my helmet. That was such a pain in the ass...between resin making my gloves sticky as hell, thus proving difficult to place the strips and racing against time to use what resin i had before hardening, that was easily a rather daunting task.
Questions:
is more than one pass needed to fiberglass the interior?
am i to sand inside, as there are fiberglass "strings" everywhere
if anyone has glassed a scout helm yet, please offer suggestions!
pictures coming soon, but can anyone explain how to create thumbnails? i feel kinda bad that the pics are overly huge....

thanks all

Gnr8tnXXX said:
wow very nice..looks better than mine did..great job..cant wait to see it glased n resied and painted...
pretty good, how long does it take to glue all the pep together?

spartan404 said:
pretty good, how long does it take to glue all the pep together?
I worked on mine for several hours, over a two day span. started around 7pm or 8pm each night and ended around midnight. say somehwere in the vicinity of 4 to 5 hours total time.

Cool helmet! Im looking forward to seeing it finished, make sure you keep us posted, ive never seen a complete scout helmet!!
Welcome to 405th!
~Ian

se7enheads said:
I worked on mine for several hours, over a two day span. started around 7pm or 8pm each night and ended around midnight. say somehwere in the vicinity of 4 to 5 hours total time.

That actually depends on your skill and speed, and the level of difficulty the pep model is. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back