Dragon*con '09 Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

23Magnum

We need to start planning now if we want to make next year's D*C go a little smoother than this past one. In order to do so, this needs to be a team effort.

Here's a list of things I've made so far that I believe we need to address with more to be added as we figure everything out.<ul>[*]Convention Access
-Ticket Purchase
-Pricing Timeline
[*]Hotel Reservations
-Number of Interested People
-Hotel Scheduling
[*]Travel
-Plane, Train, or Automobile
-Arrival Times
-Transportation Arrangement Information
[*]Costume Coordination
-Shifts
-Wanderers
-Table
[*]Marketing Material
-Flyers
-Swag
-Cards
-Display Pieces
-Backdrops/Banners
-Flags
[*]Table Management
-Acquisition
-Scheduled Shifts
-Information
[*]Parade Management
-Gathering Spot and Time
-Staging Area
-Ribbons
-Post Parade Staging Area
[*]Time Scheduling
-Table Time
-Wander Time
-Dinner/Meeting Times
-After Hours (For those of age only)[/list]Post your constructive ideas on these topics and any additional ones here for next year's D*Con.

As always, keep it friendly please.

Add:

Marketing Material
-Flyers
-Swag
-Cards
-Display Pieces
-Backdrops/Banners
-Flags

Adam said:
Add:

Marketing Material
-Flyers
-Swag
-Cards
-Display Pieces
-Backdrops/Banners
-Flags
Added.

Also, notice this is listed in some order of time priority. Speaking of which I forgot something...

Edit: Fixed :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I like tlither's idea on the walkies, thought the commerial radios are the only way to go there. How else would we address communication at the con? :eek:

I like the walkies. I found that Cell Phones (mine for one) did not work well in the larger hotels.

We could also have a bulletin board at the 405th table with post its for our use.

Rob

Rob said:
I like the walkies. I found that Cell Phones (mine for one) did not work well in the larger hotels.

We could also have a bulletin board at the 405th table with post its for our use.

Rob

That Bulletin Board idea is fantastic! Just incase cell phones are useless or if yout "walkie-talkie" dies or something just goes wrong, you can always check the board to see if anyione specifically needs you or whatever.

A centralized staging area at the Con(Table, Hotel Rooms, etc.) would help alleviate communication issues. I think the radios might be a problem though. I'm sure Dreads knows more about this than we do, but several of the convention people had mics and radios I noticed. I'm sure that security had them as well. I would guess that we might not be allowed to use the radios. That's something we can find out though.

Communication is a big thing so we'll need to find several ways with keeping in touch. I know my phone had service practically everywhere except the Mall, though for a day there it didn't have a charge.

I think we'll still have to rely partially on the cell phones, but we'll have to work out alternatives as well in case the radio idea falls through.

Adam said:
Add:

Marketing Material
-Flyers
-Swag
-Cards
-Display Pieces
-Backdrops/Banners
-Flags

I'll be there no matter what next year theres no way I'm missing out on the fun, anything you need I'll be glad to help with

I like the cards idea if its what I'm thinking, (if not ignore) which is personal trading cards for every member maybe someone could design a basic template/border that the mods could approve, I could put whatever picture the member wants in the middle and they could send me the stats/info of there spartan for the back. could get them printed professionally and we could trade them with each other or give them to fans or kids

timecon said:
I like the cards idea if its what I'm thinking, (if not ignore) which is personal trading cards for every member maybe someone could design a basic template/border that the mods could approve, I could put whatever picture the member wants in the middle and they could send me the stats/info of there spartan for the back. could get them printed professionally and we could trade them with each other or give them to fans or kids
I'm sure the cards he's referring to are business type cards. We handed out some to more interested folk. It was a little easier to hand them a card and say "Find out more info here" than standing there explaining everything about the armor for a lengthy period of time.

23Magnum said:
I'm sure the cards he's referring to are business type cards. We handed out some to more interested folk. It was a little easier to hand them a card and say "Find out more info here" than standing there explaining everything about the armor for a lengthy period of time.

I understand what you mean but kids might like them here is just an example I threw together real quick. it could also have the 405th logo and info on it, depends on what could be approved.

Front
card.jpg

Back
card2.jpg

Sorry the images are so small I just went to a trading card site and threw it together

That would be cool, to have trading cards for your different costumes.

Bussiness cards would be great hand out. :)

Somone should confirm that we're allowed to use walkie talkies and I love the board Idea Rob.

Perhaps a thread to keep track of those of us who have pre-registered are tickets?

Kaya Tetsu said:
Perhaps a thread to keep track of those of us who have pre-registered are tickets?
You mean like the Dragon*Con Registry thread that's a sticky above this thread?

It was just reopened today. I think Jax made an edit to it, but it looks like all that's available in the D*Con store is the "Eternal Membership". We'll try and get more info on when regular Pre-register tickets go up.

23Magnum said:
You mean like the Dragon*Con Registry thread that's a sticky above this thread?

It was just reopened today. I think Jax made an edit to it, but it looks like all that's available in the D*Con store is the "Eternal Membership". We'll try and get more info on when regular Pre-register tickets go up.
Didn't notice it was reopened. *head on desk*

With all this organization... wowzers.

As we continue on, since its early we can all get together get a set designated row of rooms together all around each other (next to each other), the "party" room suites. Have a general meeting area there most people can know and come to, enough room to have people be around and socialize together, party, store armor, swag, booth materials and general patch work together.

Next year is looking very prosperous.

dealing with radios at a con is kinda easy.

I have 12- 14 commercial grade radios with head sets that can be wired into helmets or worn as ear buds that i have repeater for i can set up next year. for any of you who saw me in my security gear i always had my security radio on and it worked in all 4 hotels.

Or if we ant to use FRS or GMRS radios i can set the repeater up to make them work really well to in all 4 hotels. so i can set that up if needed for se. and with the FRS type head sets are more available and most people have them and they run on AA or AAA batteries my commercial radios are rechargeable and that means turning them in and checking them out everyday for the con.

If everyone was like me- and I'm pretty sure they are on this topic--

People like free stuff.

Stickers buttons lanyards--etc. Obviously the best thing would be something that could be worn so others can see.

And obviously the best method for communication is having scheduled meets at the table.

I don't wish to over step my bounds being a new member to the group. I am a 7 year going member to Dragon Con and I worked on Staff for 5 of those years under Tom Genaro (sp) Director of the Walk of Fame area. I saw that someone had mentioned security, I am not sure if you ment you were on staff as well. If so this messege more then likely is not really needed.

I could get with Tom to see what channels they usually use for the Con security so you guys would be able to use one of the alternate channels as to not over lap them. They get a tad cranky when other people use radios and end up on their channels. I also know a few people that usually work in the Con Suite and I know they use radios as well.

As for walkies, those get alot better reception then cell phones. I use Nextel and got horrible reception in most of the hotels.

Shouldn't have to tell you guys to reg. early for both the Con and Rooms. All the hotels for 2008 were all booked up by March from what I heard.

I hope this information was helpful.

I was doing personal security for JCB people. which i will never do again. and walkies always work better then cells at Dragon due to the number of people using cell phones

AngusTheMadCow said:
I could get with Tom to see what channels they usually use for the Con security so you guys would be able to use one of the alternate channels as to not over lap them. They get a tad cranky when other people use radios and end up on their channels. I also know a few people that usually work in the Con Suite and I know they use radios as well.

As for walkies, those get alot better reception then cell phones. I use Nextel and got horrible reception in most of the hotels.
That would be great if you could find that information out for us. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back