Gow Lancer (Prop Version) - Finished

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSloan76

Hey guys. A while back I posted a thread to show my Lancer paintball gun project:

Lancer+Paintball Gun

You may recall, I mentioned that a prop version was in the works. Well, I'm finally finished.
To be clear, this is not the toy sold on Amazon.com. I made this 100% myself (silicone molds, urethane plastic).
I plan on doing a run of these but only in kit form (parts straight out of the mold). Right now Montreal is covered in snow, and I have to do all my sanding, dremeling, and painting on our balcony.
I also have plans to get a light/sound chip in there.
As you can see from the pics, the magazine comes out and the chainsaw handle folds out.

Anyway, here ya go:
Lancer_All.jpg

I added some more "functionality" to the Lancer too:
1 Lights
2 Not only does the magazine come out, but the front section of the mag-well rotates forward just like in the game.
3 The chainsaw handle not only folds out, but it slides down the channel too.
4. Sound Chip: Firing sound loop ending with empty mag 'clicking' Chainsaw loop when you slide the handle forward.

And here's the original paintball gun version:
SH_Lancer-Final_01.jpg

Lancer_All.jpg

SH_Lancer-Final_01.jpg

Great looking. The paint job is awesome, thats what I need to do to my amazon one. What is the lenght of the assembled gun? How many pieces does it come in? Is it hollow cast? Can we see some pics of the pieces the kit contains? Questions, questions, sorry to be a pain, just very interested in it.

When you're back in texas, you need to do a painting class for me.

Adam said:
When you're back in texas, you need to do a painting class for me.
Oh yeah? Ok, sure thing. But to quote that famous eighties anti-drug commercial, "I learned it by watching you dad!"

I used your video tutorial to learn how to paint like that.

If you really wanna a class on exactly how I did it, find a meat locker or some place that can hold about 15* F, then we'll paint in there. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
yay I was wondering when you were going to finish this, you said a while ago in a message you were working on one and this one looks much better than the amazon version. Theres alot of snow here too so I can see how it would be hard to finish anything

gears-of-war-20060725103816433.jpg

lancerprop02mr2.jpg

2653710398_c9aae70bac_o.jpg

lancer-gears-of-wars-23.jpg

Various Versions. Thought I heard there was a difference between Gears 1 version and Gears 2 version.

You thought the bullets were big in Sloans version? THe clip marcus is holding is bigger than his head!

yep Gow2 has a straight rather then curve
Thanks Spartan 051, for backing me up. Trust me guys, I've become a Lancer expert. I've studied every available screenshot, and while I agree, the round grip area looks nicer, I tried to make this prop like the GOW 2 Lancer.

There are actually many subtle differences btw GOW and GOW2. Take a look:

GOW 1

GOW 2

Since the prop was based on master models from my paintball gun project (GOW 1), there were only so many things I could actually convert to GOW 2 style. Every other detail I tried to make like the GOW 2 Lancer. The paint job was a personal preference; I like the GOW 1 color scheme better. = More gritty and realistic.

I would imagine that since the Lancer has become sort of a video game weapon icon, they cleaned it up and really defined the shape for GOW2. But what do I know? I've only been working in the video game industry for about 5 years :D

As far as the the bullets go, in reality the Lancer mag is totally unrealistic. It is most similar to real-world sniper rifle mags. Since I already had a removable mag designed from the first Lancer, I knew I was going to have it for the prop. I wanted to add extra detail by adding bullets, but since the mag is so unrealistically (for an assault rifle), large, I had to fill the space somehow. I opted to use large bullets. Incidentally, I used tampon applicator tubes to make the bullets. I also used them to make the front ring sight, and the gas return just above the barrel. Those things are quite handy for any application where you need some small tube shapes ;)

Why do I have tampons you might ask? For bloody noses of course!

About the NECA version. They claim that they used actual 3d assets given to them by Epic. I find that strange. The entire barrel and foregrip area is GOW 1 and most of the rest of the details are GOW 2. Not to mention the most grievous flaw which is the entire gun is squished vertically. -Why'd they do that I wonder?

As far as the Triforce/Nightmare Lancer goes. Well, that thing is grossly inaccurate and atrocious. To be fair though, It's possible that when Nightmare Armor Studios makes props/armor without the license, they do not try to be 100% accurate for legal reasons. -I don't know if that's true or not.

Anyway, thanks for the compliments. I need a break for a while, but in due time I'll do a run of these.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, no rest for the wicked. :D Let me know when your gearing up to make them. I sent you a pm already. Awesome work. I totally wanted to make one of these now I dont need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back