Cool Factor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so how cool do you all think I would be (as well as this idea) if I were to figure a way to put a night vision function in the helmet. I mean I will probably do it for myself, but is it something you all would be intrigued and interested in? Just curious.

I've looked into this for my armour, you'd need to arrange something like this in the helmet with a slimline screen inside the visor

there are other methods, that include using lighting gels as special coatings on lenses and using IR LED's, but i cant see how that would work :$

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not just make a thin strip of the infrared lights put it around the hole where the lights go on the Mark VI helmet put the black and white lens inside the strip and on the other side have your normal lights that way you could use both. Now for the vision... just use the same kinda viewfinder and put that inside your helmet on a swivel joint that way you could point it up to keep it out of the way and when you wanted it you could pull it down.....just saying i know you could make the view finder alot thinner than what it showed in the video

Since there's so damn many questions on how to put nightvision into the MKVI helm, why don't we just make a new armor permutation like Night Ops or something. It'd have some kind of crazy system set up where you can incorporate night vision into it.

Better yet, give me the approximate dimensions of your nightvision device and I'll see if I can reverse engineer a housing or a helmet mod off of it.

BFDesigns said:
Better yet, since there's so damn many questions on how to put nightvision into the MKVI helm, why don't we just make a new armor permutation like Night Ops or something. It'd have some kind of crazy system set up where you can incorporate night vision into it.

ill sketch it up

The technology for the night vision isn't hard, it's REALLY simple actually. The part that i'm having trouble with is figuring out how it can be focusable when it's SO stinking close to the eye. I mean we all know there is NOT alot of room for play inside those helmets. There has to be SOME way to get the eye to be able to focus on something that close. :S

what if you got an old vr hmd like the vfx-1, and infrared nightvision cameras. You'd have to build something around that setup to fit and it would be really scary and dizzying to use (because of perspective/parallax problems)

http://www.mindflux.com.au/products/iis/vfx1.html where you will find one is the problem, they are kinda rare and I wouldn't risk hacking one up. But you could find something similar that could work as well.

The display would be the easy part...

The easiest way to do it so that you still had stereoscopic vision (binocular, able to perceive depth) would be to make something that you could swing in place over both eyes where each eye had its own camera unit. In this way you would still be getting enough different stimulus to both eyes that you'd still be able to move easily and aim a weapon whilst being in the night vision mode. Maybe something that would swing in from both sides of the helmet.

apihadss1.jpg

Like this except over both eyes. That way you'd be able to get depth perception in total darkness.

ive thout about doing 2 cameras. i think for prototype i would just use one before i would get it all together. like i said tho the hard part is being able to make it focusable since eyes seem to have only a couple inch focal length. ive thought about dif optis like have maybe a convex lens infront of the lcd so it appears smaller or farther or something i dunno. either that or using optics like that and make it kind of like a periscope (using mirrors and whatnot) or something. if the periscope option would be used, the LCDs would be put in the visor of the helm.

Oh Darn it, this was gonna be my secret project!! WHY! xD Im doing it for my odst. its gonna have a seperate gear, which can be attached on like the soldiers nightvision goggles how they are attached to the middle part of the helmet.

Im partly done making the nightvision working, i even got my Retired Military Uncle (My RMU) to help me out :3
Since im gonna be a hell Jumper (ODST) i might as well look bAMf for hell.
I would call you and i cool and other peeps cool.

SprayNoob

Plus i think its a possibility that you can have nightvision

Or another option for concealing is this, There is something called "Congo Blue #181" it is a VERY dark blue almost black) in the visible light spectrum BUT is completely invisible to IR. You could have those on the helm some wheres and it would be even easier to conceal if your helm was dark blue or black. Just an idea

what about hacking up one of those cheap $15 digi cams with a display and using that?...you could easily separate the pieces for placement i.e. the display as a HUD inside the helmet and put the lens in the light housing on the side of the helmet......but instead of 2 leds on one side you'd have the lens and a few of those i.r leds.....i guess its just a more complicated version of what was in the video but if you put a usb hub some where hidden it would be standalone and you wouldn't have to run an RCA cable out your helmet

SpartanG said:
I've looked into this for my armour, you'd need to arrange something like this in the helmet with a slimline screen inside the visor

there are other methods, that include using lighting gels as special coatings on lenses and using IR LED's, but i cant see how that would work :$

you know, something like this might work, you could modify the leds in the side of the helmet, instead of using normal you could use infrared ones, (probably wouldn't be as powerful as the one showed herewith only two on each side.) and rig some kind of eye piece inside the helmet.

it would be a lot of work i bet, but might be possible. i'll have to look into it.

The problem with that NVG headset is it's size. Instead of adding actual lights to the size of the helmet use the infared led lights. Also if you add them in an array of 4 on each side it'll work like it did in the vid. Once my helmet is done I'll post a vid and some reference pics to it. One really cool thing about the way the guy did it in the vid is you can make kinda the same setup for CONS to be able to record everything you see without using a camera. Again reference pics will be uploaded later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back