Shield Recharging Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a quick suggestion.
If you can rig up the lights to an IR receiver, and shove an IR emitter into an AR, or a plasma pistol, or what have you, so it flashes when you "fire" it would be... -sniffle- beautiful-

23Magnum said:
Do know all the detail lights on the in-game armor flash when your shields are down? This could be a much less labor intensive way to do the same effect. Maybe incoperate those laser tag toys of the Covenant weapons, and a bit of sound FX.
im with you on that one [much ezr and more cannon]

Last edited by a moderator:
I .. dont see this looking very well..

it would only seem like it would work well if it lit from the bottom up (not all at once) and still.. it doesnt seem like somethign that should be taken into a physical form.

Idk. no problem in trying it if you really do like the idea

This is a pretty neat idea. It's technically entirely possible, and could even be timed with impact sensors in your armor so that it only flashed on after someone whacked you one.

It is a little tricky to run a complete wiring harness to each piece of armor, but I would suspect that it could be done by sewing the wiring into the undersuit.

I do think though that before too much work goes into the concept and technical end of this that someone should do a little GIF animation showing the timing of the effect (so that the EL could be properly sequenced) and demonstrate some proof of concept that embedding the EL into the armor would give the appearance of the shields recharging.

Neat. That's what I like about this place, you guys are always trying to innovate on what's been done before.

[attachment=8559:post_104...33983071.jpg] for the most part el wire is opaque, [ex red and dark blue] , so it is ez to hide , live wires "animation pack" is small , the harness can be attached right to the inside of the armor , and tye'n them in can be done with 4pin connect ,also very ez to hide , ive hacked a ps5 glove to run all my effects [all verry simple electronics to work with and is cost effective ..but im stll going with just the armors point lights [no shields up ] more like what magnum stated .

Well, the best that I could do right now is throw a MS Paint of what I had in mind. (as previously stated, I don't have the resources to pull this off)

But, if someone else has a spare shoulder, or shinplate that has been bondo'ed and painted and is willing to experiment, I may be able to help fund the endeavor. I really want to see this incorporated into a suit, but I can't post physical results for many months if left to myself. :( So, if anyone would be willing to work with me (preferably nearby) I'd be glad to go in on this for the betterment of the halo community.

EDIT: Posted a drawing of what I have in my head of what this would look like, as seen from a cut-away point of view. If used with a finished piece of armor, take a Dremel tool and rout out a path for the EL Wire to go around, random but purposeful lines would be good. Any ideas/suggestions based on this?

@ Sean: I like your idea about wiring, at first I thought having each piece having it's own power/wiring self-contained... but, maybe having the suit more connected and have a centralized power inverter stored in the backpack and run wiring throughout the undersuit would work?

Color Code:
Green = Finished Armor (Bondo, Resin, Fiberglass)
Pink = Hot Glue or similar adhesive
Red = Aluminum Foil or similar reflective material (To enhance the glow effect, may not be needed)
Blue = Added Bondo to fill in small gaps that would be left around the EL Wire
Yellow = EL Wire

Would anyone happen to have bondo'ed armor pieces that are being scrapped for whatever reason, that they'd be willing to part with? A shoulder or shinplate would be best. I'd really like to try this out and post results... help would be greatly appreciated. :unsure:

whiterabbit1985 said:
you could achieve the effect with fibre optics cast into a clear resin layer possibly, the fibre optics would be thin enough to not subtract from the armors overall look too much and with some good leds could be really nice

Look at this cough yeah christmas tree to see what i mean
http://www.gardensite.org.uk/worldofchrist...mage003-big.jpg

Beauty of it is it could be done fairly cheaply this way im betting you could even buy a fibre optic chrimbo tree and hack it up.

While this would potentially have the smallest impact on the armor's authenticity and look it wouldn't work out well unless you buffed all the fiber optics so they were rough along their wire. I say this because I use to have a Fiber Optic tree and the lights were great but it only emitted from the very end of the wire. Then unless you made it modular throughout the armor you would need a light in each section of the fibers. And over all that's a lot of Fiber Optic Cable you're gonna need for it.

i love this pic from one of my games. thought i would share sense it goes with the topic

Yellow side glow fiber optic cable would work incredibly well too. In fact, I think it would work better, just use a christmas light flasher and some LEDs. You could probably fit the sources in the knee spaces in the shins.

Deathwasp said:
I have a quick suggestion.
If you can rig up the lights to an IR receiver, and shove an IR emitter into an AR, or a plasma pistol, or what have you, so it flashes when you "fire" it would be... -sniffle- beautiful-

That sounds amazing! You can get one of those plasma pistols or plasma rifles laser tag games from Jasmin toys (out of production). Then take apart the shootable receiver and wire it to control the EL lights with some transistors, and BINGO!!

The sections would light up one by one with each shot. The receiver pack also has sound effects for when you die ("game over") and the shield recharge sound.

mustang2500 said:
Seems a pretty neat idea, but there are a few problems:

1. How will you get the effect without making it look like a bunch of lights strapped to your armour?
2. What will be the power source?
3. Finnaly, although it might be rare, there is the chance of overheating.

I don't want to make it seem like I am critisizing your idea, but I bring up alot of problems :p
1. you kinda cant =\
but 2. that's not a problem, as there are many tutorials on powering up lights and all that, half the older members have lights in their halo helmets.
3.if you're using enough power I highly doubt that'll happen.

But I'm with you on this one. Although it sounds like a badass idea I've gotta say I jus don't think it'll work =\

just a thought...

I've done several cars where we'd blend the third brake light in along with the rest of the body, but paint over it so it was only visible when the brakes were applied. In your little pic posted above, you have bondo in around the EL wire. assuming there's no reactionary problems with resin and the plastic surrounding the wire (try it on a spare chunk of plastic if possible), just resin the wire in place. if you bury it deep enough, sanding the resin flush with the surrounding surface shouldn't be that big of a deal. Then, and this is where it gets fun, if you painted over it (don't go heavy, just enough to cover) the wire would be invisible until you hit a switch, IR beam, etc. I thought I had pics, but I must have either deleted or misplaced them. but a quick easy test, depending on the color of paint you're using, is to spray a piece of glass until you have coverage, then under normal lighting conditions, put EL behind the glass to see if you still get light coming through.

Friend of mine and I got bored a few years back, and made an EL lightsaber for my nephew. There's NO heat output from this stuff, we ran it off 2 nine volts in parallel, and we ended up breaking it several times 'testing' it before it finally got to my nephew. As far as I know, he still has it.

Yeah, i thought of this idea before, i posted it in a electronic post somewhere, maybe somebody will find it. Ah, here it is:

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopi...p;hl=Electronic

It impossible, and posible. I mean if you have a thin wire all around you, that can activate when being abused. Or, if you want to be a christmas tree and have LED's all over you ( which wouldn't work)

So it could work. BUt it is highly doubted. Unless you can make a glare on your armor while dieing. Lmao.

Wait..maybe you can electric waves go down you, or Led glares?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back