Proportionate Sizing/scaling

Status
Not open for further replies.

abrant3

Jr Member
It's problem numero uno when it comes to Pepakura assembly; My armor doesn't fit me! Many of us have realized this only after we just glued the last tab into place. So how to avoid it?

After trying the complicated "Scaling Equation" a few times, and getting inconsistent results, I eventually came up with a simple set of constant ratios that can be divided from your height in centimeters to create the best armor proportions in centimeters. I call it the "Proportionate Ratio Equation".

Height (in cm) / Armor Piece Ratio = Proportionate Armor Height (in cm)

It works by dividing your height in centimeters by a corresponding ratio for a specific armor piece. For example, I am 6'3", which is 191 centimeters. If I want to properly scale a Shoulder piece, I would take my height value (191 cm) divide it by the proportion ratio for the Shoulder Armor (5.9), and it will calculate the height the armor needs to be for my body (32 cm, only round up to nearest whole number).

Here are the "Proportionate Ratios":

Helmet- 6.8
Shoulders- 5.9
Gauntlets- 6.1
Chest/Back- 4.4
C.O.D.- 6.3
Thighs- 4.7
Shins- 4.7
Boots- 11.9
Handplates- 70.7*
*(Pepakura File Index, ROBOGENESIS HD model only; DO NOT ROUND THIS MEASUREMENT!)

This very simple, 3 step equation will save you from having to reassemble models due to under or over estimation of size. Keep in mind, however, that these ratios are proportioned after the Master Chief character. He is very athletic and lean. Just keep in mind that there may be some need to add a few extra centimeters to the outcome if you are a little larger in some areas, to say it politely.

This has helped me tremendously, and I hope I did an OK job explaining it. But let me know if there are any questions you have and I'll do my best to answer them!

Thanks, Adam, for a great site!

Last edited by a moderator:
This looks like it will work pretty well! Of course it wont work for an obese midget, but for the average person it looks pretty nice. This should be stickied in my humble opinion.

I say this is a great post!

The only problam would be that the ratio of a person's body parts differ by person. ex) one person could have a big head compared to others, and I soe you mentioned that, that it is scaled by Master Cheif's perspective.

but still, this would be great for a start out!

yeah this will help...i messed up 3 times on a knee piece and one time on a shoulder and once on a helmet....either i am a slow learner or im cursed. Just to let you know your tutorials are a huge help Abrant3! it what got me started in the first place! Thanks for the tips.

Dude great work on the scaling
just cross referenced this with my armour ive built and it seems to be spot on although u might want to recalculate the boots as they are coming up short
sticky worth

Well im 5-9 tall and what i do to scale my armor correctly is i use designer as everyone knows thats what you use to scale you armor and just press Ctrl+J twice and it will scale it correctly the only one that wont do that is the pelvis that one do it regular size but i do have a big behind and i had to do the regular size. but if i do grow 5 inches rapidly i will use you measurements to make bigger ones

(y)

adventSpartanMatrix said:
Dude great work on the scaling
just cross referenced this with my armour ive built and it seems to be spot on although u might want to recalculate the boots as they are coming up short
sticky worth

Thanks, dude! Yeah, like I said, the proportions are sized after the Master Chief character and my body; we're pretty much built the same way. The measurements I came up with work perfectly for me, but might not work for others.

Were your boot measurements too big or too small? I can see if there's a way to input shoe size to calculate proper boot armor height. Thanks for the replies, guys!

Awesome!!! Thanks abrant3! It's thanks to your tutorials and the discovering of this site that I have just started my first pepakura armor!!! Will be posting picks in a new thread latter :D

abrant3 said:
Thanks, dude! Yeah, like I said, the proportions are sized after the Master Chief character and my body; we're pretty much built the same way. The measurements I came up with work perfectly for me, but might not work for others.

Were your boot measurements too big or too small? I can see if there's a way to input shoe size to calculate proper boot armor height. Thanks for the replies, guys!

The boots are actually 2cm to short
my shoe size is 12 1/2 (just might be my freakishly large feet)
but the helm size is right

ok umm....every time i put in my scale it says "please specify 1 - 2000 for assembled size" i did the math for my EOD helm and it came out to like 24.178, so i rounded to 24. I dont know if i am even putting the scale in the right spot

here is a makeshift diagram

-----------------------------------
height-some number
width-some number
depth-some number
scale-do i put 24 here?
----------------------------------

(y)

something is definitely wrong. when i put my number (24) into the scale section it does this

height 11087mm
and other really big numbers. i am not 11 thousand mm tall!

ill keep trying

Great job figuring this out!

Remember, though, that Robogenesis' HD files are already set to a scale that equals Master Chief's height in inches, so with those you just simply need to put in your height in inches.

Also remember you need to factor in weight. Some people may be a bit bigger and need to adjust accordingly. In a sense there is no way to get an accurate ratio, but apparently you've gotten the closest so far!

EDIT: Azzarth, try not to double post, the 'Edit' button is there for a reason. ;)

Azzarth said:
something is definitely wrong. when i put my number (24) into the scale section it does this

height 11087mm
and other really big numbers. i am not 11 thousand mm tall!

ill keep trying

Once you do the equation for the armor piece you're sizing, input the outcome in the "Height" field for the assembled height of the model, not the "Scale" field. And, as always, remember to convert to MILLIMETERS if you're using version 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back