Guess What I Found

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harris007

Jr Member
Today I decided to clean my huge pond liner and i proceeded to remove the liner when i spotted a huge spider under. I was really amazed by the glossy black color of it. I got closer and attempted to catch it for a closer look. i managed to get it in an insect case when i noticed an odd reddish pattern on the bottom of its abdomen. I immediately realized I was holding a large 1 in. black widow. It was quite a thrilling experience. I set down the case to later look at it and continued removing the liner. Underneath the liner I came across a mangled body of a smaller spider presumably another one. Her latest "husband". I started looking around the bottom of the liner and discovered 4 more large black widows. I planned on relocating them elsewhere from where i was working but my dad insisted on killing them. he sprayed them with Raid and incapacitated most of them. After that, I could hold the spiders while they were half dead and get a closer look. They are currently preserved in isoprophyl in a container

Wow, you're way braver than me. There is no way I would have gotten near them. Your also really lucky, correct me if I'm wrong but 1 bite can kill a full grown human in under 30min.

Harris007 said:
Today I decided to clean my huge pond liner and i proceeded to remove the liner when i spotted a huge spider under. I was really amazed by the glossy black color of it. I got closer and attempted to catch it for a closer look. i managed to get it in an insect case when i noticed an odd reddish pattern on the bottom of its abdomen. I immediately realized I was holding a large 1 in. black widow. It was quite a thrilling experience. I set down the case to later look at it and continued removing the liner. Underneath the liner I came across a mangled body of a smaller spider presumably another one. Her latest "husband". I started looking around the bottom of the liner and discovered 4 more large black widows. I planned on relocating them elsewhere from where i was working but my dad insisted on killing them. he sprayed them with Raid and incapacitated most of them. After that, I could hold the spiders while they were half dead and get a closer look. They are currently preserved in isoprophyl in a container
Woh that's something the biggest spider if seen was about .5 in wide there seems to be slot of spider stories in these forums

Last edited by a moderator:
On the positve side, you didn't die!!! Ha ha ha. I would not hold a 1 in spider that was black. But i bet if you knew it was a black widow, you would have had dark spots on your pants when you caught it or looked at it. Wow, that widow is such a cheater. Lol, what's your plan after the observation

TheSpartanMjolnir said:
On the positve side, you didn't die!!! Ha ha ha. I would not hold a 1 in spider that was black. But i bet if you knew it was a black widow, you would have had dark spots on your pants when you caught it or looked at it. Wow, that widow is such a cheater. Lol, what's your plan after the observation
lol. well, like i said they died unfortunately and are preserved. they're not much for eye candy but they are good for educational uses. they're quite beautiful up close though, when your life is not on the line

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate spiders! I would never touch them, even if it was dead. My stepdad scared the crap out of me with some brown spider. We were cleaning up the backyard when he spotted it. It had an egg sack attatched to it. It was huge. He got a stick and flung the spider in the air. The spider hit me in the chest. I nearlly had a heart attack. We think it was a brown recluse.

Everytime i catch somethign that creeps the hell out of me (spiders, scorpions, ungodly sized wasps, etc) I always stick them in the freezer till they cant move anymore and then i put them in an ice tray and make decorative ice cubes :D

If you still have it you should do that, it's always cool to take it out to look at it everynow and then...and you can scare the bejeezus out of someone that doesnt suspect a icecube of death ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back