How Is The Hemet Supposed To Fit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micney

Jr Member
I have made 2 helmets for size reference, but nether fit for they were too small. I cut one and put it on, but it seemed too big. What is the helmet to head size ratio? Am I supposed to cut the bottom up or something? How much padding is there to be in the end product?!?

If any one is good with Photoshop, a cut away picture of your head in the helmet would be perfect. (Mainly side reference)

EDIT: like this

[attachment=8902:Helmet_Side.jpg]

I'm not done my own Mk VI helmet, mind you, but from personal experience I'd say you should have maybe about an inch and a half of breathable space inside your helmet.

That'll allow for putting padding in later, and installation of exhaust fans/LEDs.

Regarding the bottom of the helmet, what most people (myself included) do is cut off some of the opening around the neck, since to keep the opening as-is on the Pep model doesn't allow one to easily slide the helmet on and off.

As for sizing, from what I've seen and heard typically others measure their head from top to bottom, then add an inch or so in Pepakura Designer. That ensures a better, proper fit.

Something you'll want to keep in mind is that the jaw portion of the helmet shouldn't hang too low below your own, just a little below.

Hope some of that info helps, dude.

Azzarth said:
Here is me wearing my EOD helmet (side reference)

I am 15 years old, average build.

ok, that helps a little, but now for my questions:

it's PEP, so what scale did you make it so it fit right?
how far away from your face is it?
did you have to cut the bottom so you could put your head in it?

Last edited by a moderator:
You will have to trim out the bottom opening to make it fit. For a standard MK VI Helm, I used the default on FlyingSquirl's HD model.

It is basically alot of trial and error. My advice would be to use one of the size testers first before you build another helmet that doesn't fit.

Also, the helmet may look a little big when you don't have the chest/back on, so keep that in mind.

dungbeetle said:
It is basically alot of trial and error. My advice would be to use one of the size testers first before you build another helmet that doesn't fit.

Also, the helmet may look a little big when you don't have the chest/back on, so keep that in mind.
(y)

and don't forget that you can pad the inside for a better fit...

Micney said:
ok, that helps a little, but now for my questions:

it's PEP, so what scale did you make it so it fit right?
how far away from your face is it?
did you have to cut the bottom so you could put your head in it?

I bumped up the default scale a tiny bit. went from around 260mm to 270mm i think

inside the helmet I have around 1-1.5 inches of room between my mouth and the front of the piece.

Yes i trimmed the bottom.

Macattack64 said:
You will have to trim out the bottom opening to make it fit. For a standard MK VI Helm, I used the default on FlyingSquirl's HD model.

about how much do you have to trim? and from what part?

here's a bit of copy pasta that might help with scaling my models:

I could never get the scaling thing to work so I went by assembled height measurements hence the reference strips n what not.
The best way to scale the helmets is to get a ruler with cm on it, measure from the bottom of your chin to the top of your head making sure to keep the ruler perpendicular and being sure to make it in cm/mm (its what pep uses) take this measurement and add a few cm for padding and such and input it into the assembled height part in the scaling. most people get a measurement between 25 and 27.5 but its not unusual to get it some where around 24-32cm.

Keep note of the scale you get, it might be helpful if you have to print out something separately where the assembled height changes.

Same goes for the torso but I'd suggest printing out the reference strips and using them to get an accurate assembled height measurement relative to you.

there's no magical scaling theory that totally works every time, so if it comes to it, see where the pieces line up on the chief, then measure those points on yourself and put em into pep.
easy :)

flying_squirl said:
here's a bit of copy pasta that might help with scaling my models:

:D lots of help. thanks squirl of the flying variety

Micney said:
about how much do you have to trim? and from what part?

That would be the "neck opening" as I'd mentioned in my previous post here. Couldn't say just how much to trim off, though. I just trimmed off enough to round out the opening, and that worked fine for me.

To give you an idea, take a look at my helmet WiP thread (linked in my sig below) and check out the pic I posted on Page 03, post # 53, to see what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back