Wir--a Review Of An Unplanned Spartan Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
THAT IS THE MOST AMAZING THING I'VE SEEN YET!!

like every1 else said...the visor is extrodinary, PLZ give more detail on how you did that.

the fact that you did this out of cardboard also blows my mind! and the helmet being able to have that little pivot thingy so you can drink is genius!

....just...beautiful :not worthy:

Thanks everyone for the very positive responses. You just don't know how your project will be recieved until you lay it all out. Thanks Adam for the compliments an the upgrade out of NOOB status--means a lot, having followed your work.

It is actually, "Go Air Force" for me, but I have great respect for the Army, I look after them every single day.

Aug08039.jpg

Proof you can wear the Legendary Edition helmet (after atacking it with a Dremel tool and thick Super Glue)
Note, this was version 1.0 of the visor. The final version was glossier and fit around the mouth much tighter

While I don't have a picture of me drinking a long-neck beverage with the helmet on, I'll try to get a photo of the mechanism and some notes on its design in the next couple of days. Here's a hint: It involves thick superglue and zip tie technology that turned out slicker than the sum of it's parts. The mechanism also ventilates the helmet nicely and let's you chat it up with the other party-goers well.

I will also try to follow within the week with a tutorial of how I did the visor. I think this technique would translate very well to some of the alternate helmets such as the ODST as well. By the way, the source mask for that visor (as requested by Spawn Camp3r the source mask is an MCU-2AP). Like I said, I'll post a tutorial of how I did it, as well as what I'd do different, later this week.

Aug08001.jpg

Major Components during putty and sand phase (I had fine powder everywhere in my dorm room for weeks)

Other projects currently in development:

1/6 scale weapons for the 12 inch McFarlane Spartan: Gravity hammer is complete, Energy sword is under construction, Spartan Laser is under construction

Airsoft Spartan Laser: 2 or three mech boxes for 1400-2100 rounds per minute--literally the airsoft equivalent of a Spartan Laser

Redshirt

I think a lot of people will be a little reluctant to post their suits after seeing how sweet this one is and the fact that it was scratchbuild from cardboard! Great job, redshirt! I'm a vetran myself, so I always extend gratitude to those that are in the military, so thanks for your service.

I call Bulls**t! :p That looks too damned good for cardboard! I can't believe how easy some of the members of this forum make it look! You, sir, are a glorious bastard!

WELL DONE!!!! (y)

adventSpartanMatrix said:
dude can we see a pic of you taking a drink with your helm on plz i think it will look awsome.
damn nice suit man keep it up!

For AdventSpartanMatrix, BigBlackCorey, and others equiring about the trick mouthpiece that allows for easy 'hydration', here goes:

There were accusations of genius in the beverage flap, but I must refute these charges. They say experience is something you get just after you need it. I submit the below photo of my Black Knight costume from 2005 as an example of what failure to plan looks like. In this example, the ingredients for failure were a Corona, a missing arm, and no means of consuming my beverage "in costume." Notice the sad look. Still, a good use of a second-hand water jug though.

CIMG1140.jpg

'Tis but a scratch!

Because the Halo 3 Legendary Edition helmet comes with lots of tabs and slots to hold it all together (plus about 40 screws), it is hardly surprising that many of these small slots remain even after hacking it to bits with a dremel tool and putting it all back together with super-thick cyanoacrylate glue. I used two of these slots to support the hinging mechanism. This technique should work equally well for Pep or molded so long as the mouth piece can be cut away smoothly or built up seperately with a flange added for the mouth piece to seat against.

The "mechanism" is none other than a pair of zip ties repurposed. I like repurposed, it describes most of the materials used in my armor. The tapered tips of the ties are cut off to make equal-length pieces that retain the 'zip' end ot the tie. About a 1/4 inch (1cm) up from the 'zip', put a 90 degree kink in each tie. Try to make them identical or the mouthpiece will be crooked in the open position. Visually determine where the slots along the bottom of the mouth opening will line up with the mouth piece. Prepare this mating surface on the inside of the mouthpice so that you can make a strong glue joint between the flat end of the zip tie and the mouthpiece.

Now is an excellent time to verify that the mouth hole is large enough to admit the end of your beverage of choice. Rectify with Dremel tool as required. Keep in mind that the installed visor may also interfere with 'hydration'. Failure to resolve these problems now will result in a condition known as "drinking problem" when you spill your beverage down the inside of your helmet.

Hold final assembly until all painting, weathering, and visor installation are complete. From the inside of the helmet, pass the flat ends of the zip ties up through the slots from the chin area. The bent end with the 'zip' mechanism should angle away from your face when stowed with the mouth piece closed. The bend will provide the locking effect that rotates the mouthpiece neatly out of the way when open. Using the super thick cyanoacrylate glue, bond the flat ends of the zip ties to the prepared area of the mouthpiece. I recommend using just enough glue to hold well enough to verify the intallation works and looks tidy in both opened and closed positions. Once you are satisfied, add plenty of extra glue to strengthen the bond. Zap accelerator that instantly sets the super glue really helps.

Resist the temptation to put it on until the glue is fully cured. If your armor is this far along, you've probably killed too many brain cells already, even if you took sensible precautions with the chemicals.

23Apr09008L.jpg

Hydration Flap In Opened Position

23Apr09012L.jpg

It Works!

I will follow with an extensive tutorial on how to make your own see-though amber-gold visor this weekend--likely in its own thread since it has wider application than the Pep and Cardboard creation board. If I go that route, I'll post a note on this thread with the redirect.

In the mean time, here are some additional photos of the Legendary Edition helmet and the internal mods I did to install lighting and the visor. If you tackle the LE helmet, prepare to be amazed at how needlessly complex it is. Nevertheless, it makes an outstanding foundation for a helmet. Having seen them Craigslisting for $10, how can you go wrong?

23Apr09004L.jpg

Overview of Helmet Interior

23Apr09005L.jpg

Visor and Wiring Installation

23Apr09002L.jpg

Closeup of Battery, LED, and Switch Arrangement

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back