Tutorial: Make & Paint Your Own See-through Visor

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Subscribe
    Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by spn_phoenix_92 View Post
    Thanks Hey would it be possible to even buy a chrome visor and paint transparent red on it, or would the paint run off? I'm having bad luck finding mirror red visors.
    You should be able to paint over the chrome. Just test a small area that's going to be hidden. If the paint beads, use a little more soap in the mix. The chrome would need to be faultlessly clean of any oils before you paint on top of it.

Redshirt

Hell of a job! (starts slow clap)

How durable is this paint after it is applied? Resilient to scratching and such? It's a great tutorial and awesome idea, just wondering about life span of it (may be earlier on and may of accidentally over-read it). Thanks and thank you tons for sharing!

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Kibiri Foxx View Post
    How durable is this paint after it is applied? Resilient to scratching and such? It's a great tutorial and awesome idea, just wondering about life span of it (may be earlier on and may of accidentally over-read it). Thanks and thank you tons for sharing!
    Four and a half years on, it's still holding up. The costume makes an annual appearance for Halloween and Halo 4 launches. Hopefully it will appear again soon for the demo videos of the Spartan Laser when it's done. If the visor gets hard use or flexing, I expect it might chip more, After all, you are violating one of the rules of surface prep for a good paint job--rough up the surface to promote adhesion. If you did that, you wouldn't be able to see through it. I think if you were expecting more wear, you might want to put a clear coat over the tint layer, but it would have to be of the highest quality, preferably catalyzed. Expensive, but if wet sanded and buffed, would give you a much clearer visor than the base model (metalizer & clear tint) demo'd here with added toughness as a side effect.

Thanks for your interest. Although this isn't the clearest visor method, I think it is the only one that looks like the game visor--not transparent-appearing at all. If you masked a hexagon pattern into the metalizer layer, this system would make the best-looking H4 visor yet.

Redshirt

Total Downloaded
    would it work with spray paint ?

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by rgqric1 View Post
    would it work with spray paint ?
    Ummm, no.

Unless you want a visor that makes you completely blind :P

The point of this method is to make a visor that can be seen through one side and be opague through the other side. Using spray paint would make it opague through both sides.
    Last edited by RTWHOCKEY; Nov 10, 2013 at 4:14 AM.

Total Downloaded
    360.9 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by RTWHOCKEY View Post
    Ummm, no.

Unless you want a visor that makes you completely blind :P

The point of this method is to make a visor that can be seen through one side and be opague through the other side. Using spray paint would make it opague through both sides.
    Depends how thickly you put it on.

It's not a good idea either way, but. It is​ technically possible.

Total Downloaded
    It really needs an airbrush and the fine Metalizer paint. Rattle cans just won't atomize the metal paint fine enough or give you control enough to get a see-through layer. The metalizer paints have only a very small percentage of pigment as well as a carrier that evaporates to leave very little excess material. The thinness of your layer is the key to being able to see anything through it. A decent airbrush may seem like big money up front, but it is an investment if taken care of properly. If you lack access to an airbrush or experience, make contact with your local scale model club and see if you can get someone interested to help. Above all, practice the process from beginning to end on a waste visor. My visor is my second attempt and I've outlined a few things I'd do differently when I do it again.

Redshirt

Total Downloaded
    Excellent tutorial, sir. I don't know if I will ever make this monumental an effort (at least while I'm employed and raising a child), but it's good to know the info is here if I need it.

New Recruit
    Total Downloaded
    if i already vacuum formed a could i heat and stretch reflective window film on it for instance http://www.abodewindowfilms.co.uk/ac...ndow_Film.html does anyone know if that would work I'm remaking the halo 3 eva helmet

New Recruit
    Total Downloaded

Gold Reflective Window Film

Quote Originally Posted by Kibiri Foxx View Post
    It depends on the style of helmet mine looks like crap now because its the halo 3 eva and about 5-10% of the paint has come off. I'm in the process of rebuilding it and wasn't sure if i could heat and vacuum form gold reflective window film onto it would that work? or is it going to seriously mess up my visor? Gold Reflective Window Film

Total Downloaded
    Could you post the links to where I could by the Metalizer, Thinner, and paints?