Using Resin On Foam Sheets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithica

Sr Member
Here is a lil vid on what Resin does to Foamie....

Ithica

Last edited by a moderator:
so what is the final product looking like? everything good?

i was going to test this tomorrow to see if it will work on my cqb, but it looks like i wont have to now... thanks dave.

The final product is great. It straighteed back out and has a lil flexibility. I recommend the Resin.

Ithica

:eek: It straightened back out!!! That is too cool, thanks for acting on many people's curiosity and showing us this. As for the little bit of flexibility, how much is a little?

You can bend it in a stationiary spot like the top of the thigh or forearm but I would not use it on the knee or elbow.

Ithica

Looking sweet, my work in progress Alien head will now have an easier job skinning it. I was going to use lacquer and gel stain but you found an awesome way to do it better!

Darthcalibar said:
Nice video. Very entertaining and informative. I don't think I've ever had resin eat anything before....

Resin will eat away some types of foam. I've seen it eat ate away at the pink insulation foam, and any of your cheap styrfoam, especially the ones that seem to be comprised of the smaller little balls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice video :) those foam sheets can be vacuum formed as well, you're right about the buckling too, its being caused by the cross linking of the molecules in the polyester (a thermoset) is undergoing, whereas the foam is a thermoplastic with less links. Heating the foam up shouldn't shrink it, it should loosen its bonds and allow it to stretch.

Great video Ithica, and great timing for me because I'm about to resin and fiberglass some foam.

If the foam gets a good coat of paint first, do you think that will reduce warping substantially?

Perhaps multiple thin coats will reduce the warping. Rather than drowning the foamie in resin.

I've been thinking about using this method for some armor I'm making, now you said it straightened back out Ithica, do you think you could post some pictures if its not a problem for you? I'd like to see the final effects before wasting any fiberglass, money is tight.

Do you think if I firmly super-glued it to sheeting of cardboard or other strong board it would eliminate the warping in the middle?

at the end when he was saying what it reminded him of to me it reminds me of the venom suit before it attaches itself to anything

Whoa, that's pretty damn cool! I was curious about how resin would react to that stuff, especially since I use it so frequently for fantasy armor, mainly Zelda related.

I put a thin layer of fiberglass tissue, with resin, on some foamie "spats" that are part of boots I'm doing. Final product seems slightly flexible and very very strong. Currently debating whether or not to bondo it (I don't want it to crack), but next time round I might just go with resin and no fiberglass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back