Wiring LED TO helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought 2 LED bill clips (5 LED's in each) for $5 each at my local surplus store.

Then, I bought another pack of 12v LED's at the auto store for $10.

The auto store light come with tons of wiring, and the hat bill clip lights have a circuit board and a micro switch. The switch not only turns the lights on, but if you press it again, the lights strobe.

You can use one of the 5 count units and some of the extra wiring for in the helmet, and that is taken care of.

All you have to do (for the rest of the suit) is take the other 5 count unit, attach the new LED's, and run them throughout the suit to light the rest of it all.

What I am saying is.... you can buy all the parts for $20, and this way you don't have to worry about resistors or custom battery backs. It is simple, and plus that unit pays for itself when you've only shelled out 5 bucks and you got the batteries, housing, micro switch, and 5 LED's.

If you guys want pics and/or a tutorial, let me know and I'll reply on here or I'll set up a new thread.

P.S. anybody thought to just go to Sears and buy those Craftsman safety glasses with the 2 LED's on each side???

To anyone who it may concern, I have a qualification in electronics, and I can therefore help anyone with basic stuff like this. I'll be using LEDs in my project, so I can write up a tutorial when I come to it, but if anyone needs help until then, please feel free to PM me.

well.One of the things I can think of is aftermarket tupperware including integrated stereo and speaker mounts, and additional power outlets. Another is custom addon wiring harnesses for the addition of a front / rear (underseat) accessory switched/constant hot power fuse block. Another is a custom mount and antenna for aftermarket stereos.at Http://www.ledlightsworld.com/ there led lights can safely applied on without any roblem .

As much as I hate to necropost (Hmm, is it still necroposting if it's a sticky?), I'm chiming in to say that I'll have a tutorial with updated pictures and part numbers on a couple of weeks; As soon as I Fiberglass my ODST helmet. (I'll take lots of pictures)

Don't have that picture, but this should be similar enough.

http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-step-step/72148-l-e-d-eyes-bucky.html

LED%20eyes.jpg

where does the switch go in that diagram?

Also to add another set of led would you just add another set of wires on the same battery or would you just do the same circuit with a second battery to have 4 lights?

That diagram has no switch. You would unclip the battery to switch off.

You can add a switch to any single wire in the circuit, by cutting the single wire and adding the switch there. Adding the switch somewhere near the battery is preferred.

You can add a second set of lights. Connect to the same battery and match the wires. Red and red connect to the same wire. Black and black also connect together to the same wire.

Thanks a lot but i have a question. we do this after we finish rondoing and stuff right? this is waay at the end? oh and is there a thread for how to put in a fan?

You add the LEDs near the end. You can add them sooner, but you would have to protect them throughout all the painting and sanding.

I used hot glue to attach this fan. Blowing toward or away from you is your preference. I like mounting in the mouth region because you also get a little bit of radio voice when you talk through the fan blades :D .

4994809662_1ff948e914_m.jpg
Helmet Fan Mounted by thatdecade, on Flickr

can a mod PLEASE either delete this post or reinstate the links please? this is supposed to be a sticky but it's not easy getting the info out of this thread.... :(
and i know this post is from 2007...

ok heres my little LED tut
heres what you'll need
what_you_need.jpg

-soilder iron
-soilder
-flux paste (if you want it)
-red and black wire (i used 20 gau)
-resistors 100 ohm
-white LEDs
-switch
-9V
-9V connector

1st you'll need to know that LEDs has a short (-) and a long (+) leg
led2.jpg

plus if you look closely theres a small (+) and a fat (-) wire inside the
head
led.jpg

ok now you'll need to set up the LEDs bend a short leg out on one LED then on the other bend the long leg..this is called series
long_short.jpg

then add flux to one of the legs
add_flux.jpg

then soilded them into series like so
wired_in_series.jpg

now soilder a resistor to the longer leg which is the +
resistor.jpg

next soilder the red wire to the resistor then the switch
wireswitch.jpg

then soilder the connector to the red wire
switch_inline.jpg

now soilder the black wire to the short leg on the other LED
all_wired_up.jpg

now just add the 9V and thats it
done.jpg

then do the same to the other side and add the red wire to the wire before the 9V and add the black to the black wire, use the electric tape to the exposed wires

has anyone tried using an led dimmer with their led's? I was thinking about. That way you can change the colors and create flasing patterns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back