Help Mac Users Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

tazman2087

Although I just recently joined this site, I have been lurking here for a while, and I have come across a few posts about people with Macs and not being able to use Pepakura. I would like to officially suggest that a thread be started for Mac Users to request the aid of Windows users to help with acquiring unfolded armor. What I suggest is that Mac users post in a stickied post what they want, along with their height for scaling purposes, and if Windows users would be so kind as to get and scale the armor and then (if it is possible) convert it to pdf format, then either upload the files to rapidshare or some other file server for downloading. This may be asking a lot, but it would be a big help to those members in our community who would like to make armor, yet do not have access to a PC on a regular basis.

if your runing mac... stop complaining and get bootcamp. sorry but its true im blunt on this fact. if you boot camp windows you can do all the pep stuff without haveing to ask and wait.

also if you run boot camp you can export and change all the dimentions you need for your own armor easyer than oh im gonna say it again... without haveing to ask or wait.

nuff said.

tazman2087 said:
Although I just recently joined this site, I have been lurking here for a while, and I have come across a few posts about people with Macs and not being able to use Pepakura. I would like to officially suggest that a thread be started for Mac Users to request the aid of Windows users to help with acquiring unfolded armor. What I suggest is that Mac users post in a stickied post what they want, along with their height for scaling purposes, and if Windows users would be so kind as to get and scale the armor and then (if it is possible) convert it to pdf format, then either upload the files to rapidshare or some other file server for downloading. This may be asking a lot, but it would be a big help to those members in our community who would like to make armor, yet do not have access to a PC on a regular basis.

Another option would be to use virtual box. ( http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads ) they have a version for mac and a forum for using it on mac. Then you could use Pepakura on your machine. After you loaded windows in a virtual machine.

There are also plenty of older cheap computers out there. Get a older windows machine, clean it up and use it only for your projects.

If you have a copy of windows xp look up "bart pe" and make yourself a custom copy of a windows live cd or usb, make sure to include your needed drivers and the Pepakura program on it.

one last thing you could do and it would be the cheapest and easiest to find would be to get or download a linux live cd ( for example xubuntu ) and down load the latest version of wine. Wine is a emulator that will allow you to run window programs in linux. That way you could run everything off of the live cd and when you take your cd out and reboot your machine is back to "normal"

This was all i could come up with. Hope some of this helps you out.

Last edited by a moderator:
CommanderFluffy said:
if your runing mac... stop complaining and get bootcamp. sorry but its true im blunt on this fact. if you boot camp windows you can do all the pep stuff without haveing to ask and wait.

also if you run boot camp you can export and change all the dimentions you need for your own armor easyer than oh im gonna say it again... without haveing to ask or wait.

nuff said.

Wow, That was a little Rude and uncalled for. As a Mac user that does use bootcamp to dual boot Vista, I understand What you were Trying to say, but there really is NO reason for you to be a jerk about it. Maybe the OP can't afford to shell out $300.00 for a full new copy of vista with the needed addition of SP2. Making armor is an expensive hobby as it is. We are all here trying to help each other out. The OP was simply asking if anyone WOULD be willing to help. He even expressed that he knew it was a lot to ask.

SO please, refrain from being rude to people simply looking for help.

"nuff said".

And thanks for the actual help ADOR!

Techbot said:
Wow, That was a little Rude and uncalled for. As a Mac user that does use bootcamp to dual boot Vista, I understand What you were Trying to say, but there really is NO reason for you to be a jerk about it. Maybe the OP can't afford to shell out $300.00 for a full new copy of vista with the needed addition of SP2. Making armor is an expensive hobby as it is. We are all here trying to help each other out. The OP was simply asking if anyone WOULD be willing to help. He even expressed that he knew it was a lot to ask.

"nuff said".

crossover its free in US... or other boot programs

as i said before im sorry i was being blunt. but if your already dual booting vista just use that and use pep program with compatibility... SNIP! Cleaning up.. you cannot discuss piracy on these forums, and until XP is availible for free download from microsoft.com, it is illegal to get it without legitimately buying it. --Deadguy

I think CommanderFluffy is right, if you are going to attempt a project like this, running some kind of windows is one of the smallest hurdles and commitments. Just double boot or get some virtualisation software (always a good investment).

<snip!> Sorry.. cleaning up.. you were right, but the rest of your post made no sense after removing his illegal reference.. -Deadguy

Commander Fluffy.. Please be more tactful, your bluntness is not appreciated in a forum dedicated to noobs that are seeking assistance. Your opinion is welcome, but please act with some tact in future. Noobs are encouraged to ask questions like these. I won't officially warn you for it, because there's no harm done and it's apparent you meant well, so this is all I'll say on the matter this time. I recognize this is old news for you, but it's not old to the new folks.

Everyone: Pirated software discussions violate the "Terms of Agreement" on these boards, please avoid discussing that topic openly.

Now, perhaps the original poster would prefer to actually start this thread and ask the question, rather than starting a thread asking IF they could ask the question? Just ask for PDF's in the sizes you need and see where it leads. It's been done in the past, but not always successfully. I guess it depends on how you ask, and how well folks have gotten to know you/like you, etc.. and how nice they are. ;)

Techbot said:

"nuff said".

I dont think he was being rude on the contrary i like his idea and if enough people agreed with him than his idea would work just fine i have a mac. people are just lazy and dont want to help others

Deadguy said:
Commander Fluffy.. Please be more tactful, your bluntness is not appreciated in a forum dedicated to noobs that are seeking assistance. Your opinion is welcome, but please act with some tact in future. Noobs are encouraged to ask questions like these. I won't officially warn you for it, because there's no harm done and it's apparent you meant well, so this is all I'll say on the matter this time. I recognize this is old news for you, but it's not old to the new folks.

Everyone: Pirated software discussions violate the "Terms of Agreement" on these boards, please avoid discussing that topic openly.

Now, perhaps the original poster would prefer to actually start this thread and ask the question, rather than starting a thread asking IF they could ask the question? Just ask for PDF's in the sizes you need and see where it leads. It's been done in the past, but not always successfully. I guess it depends on how you ask, and how well folks have gotten to know you/like you, etc.. and how nice they are. ;)
thank you someone who agrees with tazman i like his idea and everyone tells him its a bad idea except for dead guy

c00ki3monster said:
I dont think he was being rude on the contrary i like his idea and if enough people agreed with him than his idea would work just fine i have a mac. people are just lazy and dont want to help others

Lazy? this community wouldnt be standing here if people didnt helped out eachother. Ive seen alot of helping around here... I'm a mac user also. Its not that hard to get the programs running... People do have neightbours and friends also yaknow... Or do like me, get yourself an old rubbish computer. You dont need high specs on your computer.

there are a million ways to solve this problem yourself actually. Wy ask someone when you can do it easyer yourself.

And you have no idea what it takes to make a pdf of a pepakura file. Youve gotta possition every page, same scale etc...
That takes time.

even if you get someone to make it for you he should get the tamasoft development exporter to export it with good quality. Cous if you export the standard files out pep its pixelized like crazy...

Wow, thanks for all the feedback, good and not so good. Rundown, I do realize how much work goes into setting Pep files up just right. I have worked with Pep before and it did take a while. As for getting a junker PC or dualbooting Vista or XP or anything like that, i wouldn't mind that so much if i didn't loathe Windows. Also, any cash I do spend will go towards materials, tools, etc. I do have access to a family PC with pep already on it, but we are currently having networking and printer issues, so i have the ability to create peps, but not all the time and its incredibly inconvenient.

tazman2087 said:
Wow, thanks for all the feedback, good and not so good. Rundown, I do realize how much work goes into setting Pep files up just right. I have worked with Pep before and it did take a while. As for getting a junker PC or dualbooting Vista or XP or anything like that, i wouldn't mind that so much if i didn't loathe Windows. Also, any cash I do spend will go towards materials, tools, etc. I do have access to a family PC with pep already on it, but we are currently having networking and printer issues, so i have the ability to create peps, but not all the time and its incredibly inconvenient.

Wy dont you export the files yourself then and go to a copy center?

sorry deadguy. forgot there.. but have you ever though that microsoft has never released any downlodable os? when they shut down win 2000 and win 98 they didnt release any downloadable os... just stopped all updates and suport. so the p2p community pulled up the slack. microsoft is closeing xp doors next year or so. so it'll be no biggie after a while. anywho i do know of a distributer that is alowing xp download with microsofts consent but the system is so intensely hacked it looks like vista and downt perform well... but thats all i have to say!

good luck on your pep stuff amd maybe try and fix your network issues so you can print again!

I still use Win 2KPro and love every little bit of code within it..
I rather have Pro than XP or Vista. The sucker never crashes. And Maya loves it! :D

rundown said:
Wy dont you export the files yourself then and go to a copy center?

That would be the easy thing to do, but I hate paying someone to do something I can do myself for free or almost free. I can and do cut my own hair. Well, no, not really. To me going to a copy center is like having a car that has just run out of gas, so instead of having a friend come get you to go get gas, you rent a car. And places around here are real stingy about what they can and can't print.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back