View Poll Results: Which covenant should I build next?

Voters
529. You may not vote on this poll
  • Prophet of Truth

52 9.83%
  • Honor Guard Elite

330 62.38%
  • Drone (the bug dudes)

37 6.99%
  • Tartarus the Brute Overlord/whatever he is

110 20.79%

Jackal Costume Complete

Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    By request, and by sheer logic when I think about it, I am posting my finished Jackal photos right here, on the first page.

Here's my gallery of them:

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?ap...mage&img=13376

And actually, the same shots are at my deviantart, but I think you can download them bigger. So here they are if you are interested:

http://randomflyingpigeons.deviantar...play-164291640

http://randomflyingpigeons.deviantar...-Yar-164292046

I know there aren't that many. I didn't have the best person with me to take many photos, unfortunately. Also, I was fortunate enough to get photos taken by a photographer, (which was necessary to enter the contest) and buy the three best ones. Sadly, my scanner is a POS so I had to retouch the colors in photoshop. For some reason it made them look like they were from the 80s or something.

However, in the future if I come across people who posted pics of me, or if/when I don the suit one last time to take some more photos, I will be sure to post them.

Here's also a youtube video with a summary of work in progress pics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqTdsowdzFE

Anyways, ACEN was a blast. I had so much fun there. I saw a lot of really great costumes. I didn't win any contests, sadly, but I did get enough ego-boosting comments to make my day, including one person who quoted the family guy scene: "JACKAL! IT'S A JACKAL! Is it a JACKAL? JACKAL!" It was a lot of fun. For most of the time I had my mask off, due to the low visibility. Also, by the end of the day, I had really torn up my feet from those stilts. They were easy to walk in (not so much for stairs) but the shoes I used for them were worn out and I was stupid enough not to wear socks...so yeah. Yay for blisters.

Other than that, it was a great experience. I'm trying to think of ideas for future costumes. I'm a little hesitant on the Elite, at least right away, due to the stilts. Well, actually, more due to the combination of stilts + low visibility. I will have to make sure that I have excellent visibility with the Elite. Otherwise, it's hell.

I met up with a couple chiefs. Sadly I didn't get a picture with either of them. But I made some new friends, acted crazy, and had a blast. Conventions are fun.

First JAckal costume i have ever seen and its SMEXXIEE,i luvs the snout/beaky part its soo awsome,i look foward to the seeing the first jackal costume made

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW! That thing rocks girl. I love the detail in that thing. Keep the updates coming.

Rogue

great work looking forword to the finished product

Im not one thats easy to impress, but thats really good!

Maybe its just me, or are you really building up mussel tissue on the skull of the Jackal !?! Because that shows true craftsmanship of sculpting!

[quote name='falcon NL' date='17 July 2009 - 10:40 PM' timestamp='1247888400' post='310809']

Im not one thats easy to impress, but thats really good!

Maybe its just me, or are you really building up mussel tissue on the skull of the Jackal !?! Because that shows true craftsmanship of sculpting!

[/quote]

;; Thanks! Yeah, I kinda obsess over detail. I want it to look really vicious. Or at least cool.

Thank you, everyone! I'll be sure to update you guys with progress.

Wow great detail. I wish I had a quarter of your talent lol. Good Luck though you probably dont need it. And I'd like to know what your going to do about a shield. Now this is just an idea from me but maybe you cut a lot of plexiglass and shape it into a circle then use this spraypaint that fogs windows or the plexiglass.Then attach leds all around so like the dull plexi glass will absorb the blue light and light up but that is just an idea but Im not sure really.

[quote name='Bondo' date='17 July 2009 - 11:01 PM' timestamp='1247889690' post='310823']

Wow great detail. I wish I had a quarter of your talent lol. Good Luck though you probably dont need it. And I'd like to know what your going to do about a shield. Now this is just an idea from me but maybe you cut a lot of plexiglass and shape it into a circle then use this spraypaint that fogs windows or the plexiglass.Then attach leds all around so like the dull plexi glass will absorb the blue light and light up but that is just an idea but Im not sure really.

[/quote]

Glass fog stuff. That's a great idea! I was planning on taking lexan and using LEDs (which I need help with from my brother, who knows his electronics) to light it up. I was thinking of airbrushing the tiny purple polygons on the shield for detail. That way, it will give it the right hue as well.

[attachment=10537:800px-Jackal_Shield_Cover.jpg]

If you look veeeery closely you can see them. It's hard to see, but they're there.

My only problem is...I am broke at the moment. And I don't have a job. ;_; My dad is going to help me shape the lexan, and help me build stilts (I am not a carpenter in any way shape or form). I still gotta give him the blueprints for the stilts, but yeah.

So now I just have to raise some money for the shield. The armor will be easy. Cardboard and paper tape. Piece of cake.

yea that sounds kool

ssssssssssswwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttttt

you do have anack for detail. it's turning out so well. can't wait to see a finished product

this is one of the most unique projects ive ever seen. will we be seeing this at dragoncon?

Very impressive! Can't wait to see more progress!

[quote name='Goosebot 5000' date='18 July 2009 - 03:54 PM' timestamp='1247950469' post='311002']

this is one of the most unique projects ive ever seen. will we be seeing this at dragoncon?

[/quote]

Gosh, I don't even know where Dragoncon is held or when. I've never been to a con, but always have wanted to. I was just planning on wearing this for halloween on State street in Madison, WI. I'd love to go though.

Damn that's looking good!

Your Grunt costume is what led me to the 405th in the first place

[quote name='Tango 89er' date='19 July 2009 - 05:39 AM' timestamp='1247999995' post='311173']

Damn that's looking good!

Your Grunt costume is what led me to the 405th in the first place

[/quote]

Oh my, thank you! That is such an honor for you to say that!

that is an honestly scary mask for the costume, the amount of work that I know will go into it is just astounding!

I can't wait to see it finished

My dad is going to help me shape the lexan,

Oh hey! A heads up before you buy the lexan. At lowes, you can buy lexan and plexiglass, but lexan is waaaaay more expensive. If I recall, a 36" by 48" piece of plexiglass was $45 and a 36" by 48" piece of lexan was over $150. You might want to research it on the net before making a purchase.

[quote name='HeavyGunner' date='19 July 2009 - 04:38 PM' timestamp='1248039518' post='311276']

Oh hey! A heads up before you buy the lexan. At lowes, you can buy lexan and plexiglass, but lexan is waaaaay more expensive. If I recall, a 36" by 48" piece of plexiglass was $45 and a 36" by 48" piece of lexan was over $150. You might want to research it on the net before making a purchase.

[/quote]

Thanks for the tip! Question though--Can you use heat to shape the plexiglass like I would for the lexan? And how strong is it relatively speaking? How lightweight and how see-through?

Sorry to barrage you with questions, but you seem to know more than I do in this field.

[quote name='RFPnoodle' date='19 July 2009 - 09:46 AM' timestamp='1248021975' post='311206']

Oh my, thank you! That is such an honor for you to say that!

[/quote]

i'm actually trying to start making my own grunt costume as well.

i'm a very short person an was talking to the person that introduced me to 405th and we joked about it at first, but i'm now seriously thinking about doing it. XD

also DragonCon is in GA, an as a suggestion if it hasn't already been said, you noted that you were using LED's for the shield? will you be using 1 layer of material or two? because if you use two to shape them together then combine then at the edges then use the LED's near the handle and the outlining it may give the shield that "moving glow" look. just a thought. love the jackal head btw... maybe your the one that my new friend was talking about when she introduced me to 405th ^^

good luck! can't wait to see more!

[quote name='Yuki-Kedamono' date='20 July 2009 - 11:05 AM' timestamp='1248105958' post='311499']

i'm actually trying to start making my own grunt costume as well.

i'm a very short person an was talking to the person that introduced me to 405th and we joked about it at first, but i'm now seriously thinking about doing it. XD

also DragonCon is in GA, an as a suggestion if it hasn't already been said, you noted that you were using LED's for the shield? will you be using 1 layer of material or two? because if you use two to shape them together then combine then at the edges then use the LED's near the handle and the outlining it may give the shield that "moving glow" look. just a thought. love the jackal head btw... maybe your the one that my new friend was talking about when she introduced me to 405th ^^

good luck! can't wait to see more!

[/quote]

What was your friend talking about?

Oy, Georgia? I don't think I could I am le broke.

I'm not quite sure I understand your LED idea, though if you explain it I may just have to do it, cause it sounds pretty cool. I was thinking of having the LEDs project from the center of the shield. (although I need to figure out what material to make the center out of...it has like a light and then some material around it.)

[attachment=10622:800px-Jackal_Shield_Cover.jpg]

[quote name='RFPnoodle' date='20 July 2009 - 09:51 AM' timestamp='1248108697' post='311521']

What was your friend talking about?

Oy, Georgia? I don't think I could I am le broke.

I'm not quite sure I understand your LED idea, though if you explain it I may just have to do it, cause it sounds pretty cool. I was thinking of having the LEDs project from the center of the shield. (although I need to figure out what material to make the center out of...it has like a light and then some material around it.)

[attachment=10622:800px-Jackal_Shield_Cover.jpg]

[/quote]

well i'm sure there are a few people trying to make jackal costumes, but yours was the first one i found and seemed the most popular so i guessed that it was your jackal costume that she was talking about, i'm not sure. i'm just assuming. but anyway as far as the LED thing is concerned, what you just explained is basically what i was talking about. but my biggest question was if you were using only one layer of the material for the shield or two an putting them together to trap the LED light within.

A quick bit of info, which you may not know (but looking at how good you're doing so far, I'm sure you probably do know) but the Jackal's shield generator is strapped to their wrist rather than being held in their hand. Can't wait t see this finished!

You know what, I'm terribly sorry, I actually misinformed you. I was actually talking about acryllic when I said plexiglass. That's what I bought, and it's the cheap stuff. Plexiglass is a bit more expensive than acryllic, and lexan is a bit more expensive than plexiglass.

The acryllic is just as clear as lexan or any other type of artificial glass. The thing is though, the .08" thickness piece of acryllic I have is 20x as strong as glass, whereas the piece of lexan I have is 250x as strong as glass. The lexan is also a lot heavier. The acryllic I have is fairly flimsy, and makes a "wobba wobba wobba" kind of noise when I shake it, and it bends. I think you might want to go with acryllic because of it's affordablilty, and flexibility. The .08" thickness is very easy to cut with a "glass cutter" utility knife, or just a regular sharp box cutter. I'm recommending it because you probably don't want your 3' diameter shield to weigh 10 pounds. I'm fairly certain that my piece of acryllic that's 18" by 24" weighs about 1 pound. So you figure a 3' diameter shield would be just about 7 square feet of area. Therefore, with a little math, we can know that there are 2.35 of my pieces to make the same area of a 3' diameter shield. Therefore 1 pound times 2.35 equals 2.35 pounds Lol. So if you were to use .08" thick acryllic, and were to make the shield around 3 feet in diameter, you shield would weigh roughly 2.35 pounds.

EDIT: Sorry I forgot to answer the first question! Lol. The acryllic is just as easy to melt as any other type of artificial glass. Might even take a lower temp to get it workable than plexiglass. I recall reading a thread where someone oven-formed their own security visor out of plexiglass by letting it melt over a clay form. I recall them saying the oven temp doesn't need to be over 150 F. I would assume that thin acryllic would be even easier to melt, so you would have to play around with the temp.

[quote name='HeavyGunner' date='20 July 2009 - 03:22 PM' timestamp='1248121333' post='311574']

You know what, I'm terribly sorry, I actually misinformed you. I was actually talking about acryllic when I said plexiglass. That's what I bought, and it's the cheap stuff. Plexiglass is a bit more expensive than acryllic, and lexan is a bit more expensive than plexiglass.

The acryllic is just as clear as lexan or any other type of artificial glass. The thing is though, the .08" thickness piece of acryllic I have is 20x as strong as glass, whereas the piece of lexan I have is 250x as strong as glass. The lexan is also a lot heavier. The acryllic I have is fairly flimsy, and makes a "wobba wobba wobba" kind of noise when I shake it, and it bends. I think you might want to go with acryllic because of it's affordablilty, and flexibility. The .08" thickness is very easy to cut with a "glass cutter" utility knife, or just a regular sharp box cutter. I'm recommending it because you probably don't want your 3' diameter shield to weigh 10 pounds. I'm fairly certain that my piece of acryllic that's 18" by 24" weighs about 1 pound. So you figure a 3' diameter shield would be just about 7 square feet of area. Therefore, with a little math, we can know that there are 2.35 of my pieces to make the same area of a 3' diameter shield. Therefore 1 pound times 2.35 equals 2.35 pounds Lol. So if you were to use .08" thick acryllic, and were to make the shield around 3 feet in diameter, you shield would weigh roughly 2.35 pounds.

EDIT: Sorry I forgot to answer the first question! Lol. The acryllic is just as easy to melt as any other type of artificial glass. Might even take a lower temp to get it workable than plexiglass. I recall reading a thread where someone oven-formed their own security visor out of plexiglass by letting it melt over a clay form. I recall them saying the oven temp doesn't need to be over 150 F. I would assume that thin acryllic would be even easier to melt, so you would have to play around with the temp.

[/quote]

Thanks for all the info! I'll talk it over with my dad and see what he thinks.

Based on what Yuki said about the layers, I'm wondering if it would work better to "trap" the light inside two layers, or would it look fine just behind one layer? I'm guessing two since then you wouldn't see the LEDs.