Iron Man Pepakura

Status
Not open for further replies.
COOL. We need more warmachine. Thats one cool suit. Some really nice work there.

It would be great to see the hinge setup you have for it.

As for motors, I don't know how thats going to work. I've been trying to figure that out myself. I came to the conclusion that I either make the helmet bigger to fit the motors in or I make my head smaller :p. Then there is the problem of getting it to work without taking your face off. If you can get it to work you would make many people very happy. Including me.

wow man, this is coming along really good! im glad to see some1 take this to the next step! if you want, you can check out this thread on another forum about a Mk 3 helmet, and he shows the hinges he used and everything! but idk how u can get the motors in, but then again im not tony starks! ha, have fun dude, and good luck!

Masterle247 said:
-sensors to shut off lights when face plate is lifted, and turn on again when clsed

You can use an on/off switch located on the jaw. When the faceplate is down the putton is pressed so the eyes light up. When the faceplate lifts up the button is no longer pressed, so breaks the connection, the lights turn off.

The button/switch can be put somewhere on this green line:

l86ac3101a51b47c8bff988.gif

I used your image so that it would be easier for you to see what I was talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, SWEET!! There a couple of things off from the reference pic, like the notches at the top of the helm. But this is a sweet job, I plan to work on this after my Mark VI and maybe after a Mark IV. Do you plan to add more detail to any of the pieces?

Masterle247 said:
upclosehelmet.gif

360 view of the helmet

Are you telling me you created this with the pepakura file? Okay that's enough to convince me I'm all about ordering this file now. Will you be sharing your secrets in the future on how exactly you got the hinge and lighted eyes to work?

I don't know how hard it would be but could you rig it up where if you turn the other "ear" it lifts up? No motor no batteries and still pretty cool.

Robby said:
I don't know how hard it would be but could you rig it up where if you turn the other "ear" it lifts up? No motor no batteries and still pretty cool.

Yeah, it does work, it is pretty easy and looks cool, but what we want is to be able to press a button or flick a switch and the faceplate automatically flips up like in the film. There is the problem of actually making it do that though. Every method I have though of, has had quite a high injury rate attached to it. The motors and such are too close to your head. Either against it or would be in it. So needless to say I need to think of a better way of doing it. But I get where you are comming from. We just want movie accuracy. No ear turning needed. There is someone on instructables that used the method you are talking about. It worked pretty well until he or someone else broke the helmet.

Hmm well, maybe an electro magnet with a spring assist? If you get the distance between the points of contact the spring acts against you can make it hair trigger(don't or it will flip whenever you twitch) but get it reasonable and put in a rare earth magnet and an electromagnet. After the initial lift by the magnet the spring will catch and carry it up. OH!!! And make it so at the top of the ride the spring is no longer in play and just moment carries it up, maybe a dip to hold it in place! Then if you flip your head it ought to drop and the moment might carry it past the spring, the powered off electromagnet will attract the rare earth magnet sealing it back down.

When the lights are on can u see out of them? Some guy on instructables suggested putting sunglass lenses on the inside with bright LEDs next to them when you figure it all out could u post how u did all the lighting etc.

If you're looking to automatically light up the eyes when the face plates down you could use a reed switch a magnet. That way you only need the magnet to get close to the reed switch for it to light up. You don't need actual contact.

dungbeetle said:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBar4h49lsw&NR=1[/media]

not only is that completely AWESOME, but I think it actually made me dumber

Nice shoulder bells I'll be in contact shortly regarding more files.

As for what to do next...I've yet to see a accurate neck seal for the suit.

And I'm sure most people would love to see your take on the chest and back section.

Its a pity you dont want to do the full suit I'm sure lots of people myself included would love to see it as well as get the files from you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back