Molding And Casting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac

I'm going to start casting my halo 3 Marine Helmet, and the SMG sometime, and I was wonder what materials I could use to make a mold of the gun/helmet, then what I could use to Cast them with.

Any pointers?

smooth on or you can just READ THE STICKIES!!! like everybody else it will make the world a less stressful place instead of haveing to read the question over and over

sorry to sound rude but anyways welcome to the 405th

Rebound 25 form Smooth-on

Dragonskin form Smooth-on

Brush-moldmax form smooth-on....really the list go's on and on

For casting weapons you can use a couple of things.

Smooth-cast 300

Smooth-cast 300Q

Smooth-cast 320 (easier to pigment)

Flex-Foam IT 25

Fiberglass resin

To be honest you did't did any research did you?I have written a complete threat for these type of questions.

The stickies really help. I did not no any thing about this stuff, but once i read the stickies the stuff all came to me

i am currently using stuff called gelflex, its a silicon like moulding material which you chop up and melt, once liquid you pour it over an object and wait to set, it sets and holds the imprint of the master so you can cast from it.

the best thing is that if you don't want it any more or its damaged you simply cut it up, re melt and mould again.

i am currently making an odst smg and i am using this stuff to make moulds. as long as the material will not melt, eg don't use polystyrene, it will work, i use foam board to make my gun and it works well with that.

i will be getting more of it today, on ebay it costs about £9 excluding postage which is £6 but each other item is only plus £1.50 postage. plus on you first purchase they send you a code that will knock off 10% on your next purchase. so next i will be buying 3 more kg of it which will cost me about £33 which in the long run saves me hundreds of pounds seeing as that weight in silicon could cost me over a hundred

check it out even if just to try it on something small.

GiR3892 said:
smooth on or you can just READ THE STICKIES!!! like everybody else it will make the world a less stressful place instead of haveing to read the question over and over

sorry to sound rude but anyways welcome to the 405th

most people don't want to waste money on expensive brands like smooth on or smoothcast, thats pretty much what you pay for. you can get the same quality produsts elsewhere for cheaper if you know where to look, each time someone says look at the stickies i go to them and they never have what i am looking for. i'm sure he has already had a look at them, silicon is expensive and used for 1 mould but gelflex is cheaper and can be reused

Last edited by a moderator:
When it comes to molding and casting materials, you really do get what you pay for. Smooth-On is hands down THE best in the biz. AlumiLite (sp?) is good, but can be a little wonky at times. JGreer mats are just gawd-awful. Stay away!

wow, you guys never complain when someone ask other noob questions relating to cutting pep files and how to apply fiberglass or what it is to start with!

this is the noob forum for a reason, ask away my friend. I think all you need is robound 25 which about 160 dollars i believe (im gonna have to look to see what all the difference are). Then liquid urethane, which is 20 dollars for a small amount and 80 for the bigger tub.

But this gelflex really looks like something i could try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back