Using Foamies & Bondo For Detailing

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyCoz

Hey everybody.

Just thought I'd share some pics of this process with you. I got the idea from Timecon's Ironman thread. Only difference is he used masking tape to create the details, I used strips of foamies attached with elmers glue because they were the right thickness.

I add the details after I have done most of the smoothing / Bondo

Use the reference pics to determine where you want the raised details. Then mark them out with a pen and a flexible ruler.

Cut some 1/2 wide strips off a foamie sheet with a straightedge and attach them to your armor along your lines with some elmers glue. The foam goes on the opposite side of the line that you are detailing.

EDIT: JediStumpy came up with the idea of using double sided tape to attach the foam, and it works way better than elmers glue!
forearmdetails001.jpg

Build up a couple layers of bondo behind your foamie "form". You can build it up a hair thicker than your foam.

forearmdetails002.jpg

Sand along the edge of the foam/bondo with some 60 grit until you can see the edge of the foam.

forearmdetails003.jpg

Then remove the foam strips

forearmdetails004.jpg

Use a hobby knife to chamfer the edge of the bondo. I use a 3/8 "chisel tip blade for this.

forearmdetails005.jpg

forearmdetails006.jpg

Use some 60 grit sandpaper to round the chamfered edge a little. This will make the details look like they weren't just "stuck on".

Continue with the 60 grit shaping and sanding the surface. Here's a pic after sanding with 60 grit, 100 grit, then 150.

forearmdetails007.jpg

Heres a pic of the details with a coat of primer on them. It still needs a little spot putty before final paint.

forearmdetails008.jpg

Hope this helps.

wow man this is great, i'v been wondering exactly how to do this for a while now but couldn't figure it out. this will be very useful, thanks!

Most deffinately a KILLER tip. Thanks for the step by step mini tut.I will be using that method once i get to that stage. Just keep coming up with these awsome tricks,lol,and i may actually be able to finish a set.

MikyVengeance said:
woah, awesome!

where can I get some of those amazing foamies :eek

Most craft stores, like Michael's, should carry them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saaweet tut, with great examples and pics! I'm gonna use this method for the back details of my ODST bucket. It's certainly more effective than cutting the details out of the foamies and trying to resin them. Bravo!

hey this is a good technique i can use for my gears of war armor project.

i was gonna pursue doing resining the foam and bondoing on top of the resined foam. i'll try this technique sometimes next week since i've started my first week of college.

how does everyones armor end up being grey in the middle of the detailing process? mines pink from the body filler, what are you guys putting on it that makes it so gray and smooth?

Tandhem said:
how does everyones armor end up being grey in the middle of the detailing process? mines pink from the body filler, what are you guys putting on it that makes it so gray and smooth?

Primer. It can be used to spot bumps and holes easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
like whats the brand name? and do you put it on once the armor is incredibly smooth already?

could i just spray it with spray paint? or is this 'primer' in spray paint form??

Just wanted to show just how much detail you can add with this technique. Here's some pics of the details I added to my codpiece.

BTW: This is crackhead's HD cod.

Smoothed & added foam:

cod001.jpg

Bondo'ed & foam removed:

cod002.jpg

Sanded, spot puttied, & primered:

cod007.jpg

Finished piece:

cod003.jpg

cod004.jpg

cod006.jpg

cod005.jpg

Let me know what you all think.

It's easy to add thickness to the foamies by glueing more on top of each other.

Im going to used this tutorial on my Fallout helmet and maybe the Pipboy 3000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back