Would The Chief Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caboos318

So, DarkstarLM and myself had a decision last night at work. It started as "would you rather have IRONMAN or MARK VI armor?" It ended as "Would Master Cheif live to tell the tell of touching the deep part of Earths oceans?" We had this decision for a couple hours and got no where, so we bring it to you here on the 405th. So, would Master Cheif live if he touched the bottom?

I say yes, DarkstarLM says no.

P.S - please give resons for your answer

I would say yes, but only for a limited amount of time. Since the chief has a "pressure suit" and can survive in space, why not the ocean? But honestly I'm no expert on the subject so I dunno :p

As for your other question, I would take an Iron man suit over Mark VI. I want to fly :)

(provided I can paint it black)

I'm sure 500 years in the future we'll be able to go FURTHER than the deepest part of the ocean.

He can't. The MJOLNIR armor is rated from 0 to maybe 2 or 3, at best, atmospheres. It's a space suit, not a hardsuit.

The pressure would crush everything not under hard armor, though I can't say about the armor, itself.

Now, let's ask ourselves: Can Iron Man fight wave after wave of Covenant troops for 26 years and live to end up in a cryopod?

i agree with Schizo, do the math. its like thinking that putting a space shuttle underwater is gonna work. Even iron mans pressurized deep sea armor isn't strong enough to that deep

I see where you are all coming from with the whole presser thing, but what about the sheilds? I think that could make a differnce.

On average, the Pacific ocean is 13,740 feet deep. Using a little bit of math (and Google), I found that, on average, the pressure of water per square inch, is approximately 15lbs per 33 feet. (sorry for those who like Metric, I'm just using what I know.) So, with that, I calculated that at 13,000 feet down, the pressure of the water is 5909 lbs per square inch. So for every inch of the Chief facing outwards, he'd be experiencing nearly 6 tons of pressure. I can't even begin to describe how much pressure that is. Imagine the entire weight of a Ford Explorer (truck, about 6000lbs) compressed into a 1 inch cube. Now imagine hundreds of those pressing down on the Chief. And that's not even the pressure exerted on his sides. Sorry, but I really doubt he could survive that if he still dies to bullets and plasma fire. Shields would cave, as it'd be like the weight of a scorpion tank (or 10) on all sides, his visor would crack, and he'd be dead long before he hit the bottom.

Did I work way too hard on that?

Edit: Ooh ooh, more compelling analogy. Imagine the Chief laying down, and there's a scorpion tank right over him facing downward so one of the tread guards is right in front of his face. And drop. Now imagine that happening to every part of his body at once. Repeatedly.

wasnt it in some book... ghosts of onix if i remember... that the mojlinuar armor was used in deep under sea battles near australia? with fred linda and will? .... lest see finding quote...

page 203 chapter 23

1350hours, november 3, 2552, planet earth/ carebean ocean near cuban coast.

second paragraph...

they had been redeployed off the coast of the yucatan peninsula fr a swim. covenant had been search ing the ocean floor for something.

no it didnt say the depth but stll an underwater suit. remember it is 2552 so maybe the fabrics have been made so well can can resist external forces of any kind.. kinda like d3o but wayyyy more advanced

No material, no matter the time or place, can withstand the pressure placed on it for longer than a few seconds.

Let's say that MC landed in an arbitrary point in the Pacific Ocean, where the average depth is around...say...14000 feet deep. It results in about 412 atmospheres pushing down on every square centimeter. It is doubtful that even the MJOLNIR suit can withstand 6069 psi of pressure on each point. The suit would fail and start to crack. A bit different from Flyerfye, but still generally similar.

@Commander Fluffy: If it is an average depth of let's say...80 feet: it results in only ~34 psi exerted on any given surface. That's survivable. And if the MJOLNIR can survive the vacuum of space, it can obviously survive being underwater.

And I think he'd die, even if his suit does withstand the pressure. There'd be no hope of rescue, and if it's that deep, he'd be too far from any coastline to make it in time. All that pressure is going to either: A) Give him "the Bends" because of an uneven distribution of gas in his body from the pressure, or B ) hinder his movement to the length that he cannot physically move his joints. Alternatively, it could give him both.

No matter how you look at it, it doesn't look like good ole Monsieur Chiéf will be making it back in time for Halo: Reach's release.

Flyerfye said:
On average, the Pacific ocean is 13,740 feet deep. Using a little bit of math (and Google), I found that, on average, the pressure of water per square inch, is approximately 15lbs per 33 feet. (sorry for those who like Metric, I'm just using what I know.) So, with that, I calculated that at 13,000 feet down, the pressure of the water is 5909 lbs per square inch. So for every inch of the Chief facing outwards, he'd be experiencing nearly 6 tons of pressure. I can't even begin to describe how much pressure that is. Imagine the entire weight of a Ford Explorer (truck, about 6000lbs) compressed into a 1 inch cube. Now imagine hundreds of those pressing down on the Chief. And that's not even the pressure exerted on his sides. Sorry, but I really doubt he could survive that if he still dies to bullets and plasma fire. Shields would cave, as it'd be like the weight of a scorpion tank (or 10) on all sides, his visor would crack, and he'd be dead long before he hit the bottom.

Did I work way too hard on that?

Edit: Ooh ooh, more compelling analogy. Imagine the Chief laying down, and there's a scorpion tank right over him facing downward so one of the tread guards is right in front of his face. And drop. Now imagine that happening to every part of his body at once. Repeatedly.

GundamX67 said:
No material, no matter the time or place, can withstand the pressure placed on it for longer than a few seconds.

Let's say that MC landed in an arbitrary point in the Pacific Ocean, where the average depth is around...say...14000 feet deep. It results in about 412 atmospheres pushing down on every square centimeter. It is doubtful that even the MJOLNIR suit can withstand 6069 psi of pressure on each point. The suit would fail and start to crack. A bit different from Flyerfye, but still generally similar.

@Commander Fluffy: If it is an average depth of let's say...80 feet: it results in only ~34 psi exerted on any given surface. That's survivable. And if the MJOLNIR can survive the vacuum of space, it can obviously survive being underwater.

And I think he'd die, even if his suit does withstand the pressure. There'd be no hope of rescue, and if it's that deep, he'd be too far from any coastline to make it in time. All that pressure is going to either: A) Give him "the Bends" because of an uneven distribution of gas in his body from the pressure, or B ) hinder his movement to the length that he cannot physically move his joints. Alternatively, it could give him both.

No matter how you look at it, it doesn't look like good ole Monsieur Chiéf will be making it back in time for Halo: Reach's release.

you convinced me

Last edited by a moderator:
my thoughts? while the pressure of the depths of the ocean is ridiculously high, space is a vacuum. you cant get a higher pressure than that. if a suit can survive under the pressure of a vacuum then it can survive under any pressure to me. sorry if im dead wrong, but that is my guess, and its late and i dont really feel like reading those posts :p. if im right, then im awesome, if not, then im an idiot. plan and simple. haha.

edit. just read the second to last one. but dont you think that 500 years into the future that (for example, in futurama) a pressure-pill of sorts would be invented to stop this? with all of humanity's advances, shouldnt buffing the body to be able to withstand different pressures be one of them?

I honestly think that... this is a video-game. That's it, I hope that statement doesn't offend anyone, but that's like asking, "Where's the bathroom on the Starship Enterprise, or have they come up with a way to automatically transport all of the waste into deep space?" or. "What's Luke Skywalker's favorite color of underwear? Or..." Once again, that's my thoughts, sorry if it offends anyone.

Now Iron Man, vs. The Chief... I'm not literate in Iron Man comics, so I can't answer that, however I'm sure there are those here who have read the comics and have read enough of the Halo Novels more frequently then I have who can answer that questiion.

Mk VI armor is an armor-plated pressure suit (designed to keep pressure in). Mk V was basically combat armor and a shield generator over a more conventional space suit design.

Point being since the armor is not a true hardsuit, it will conform to increased surrounding pressure meaning the lower limit of operations should be the same as SCUBA assuming the suit is loaded with a proper gas mix. Iron man has a true hardsuit so shouldn't need to worry about anything except what his "crush depth" is like a submersible. The geometry of the suit is bad for deep dives however.

I don't think either could make it to the bottom of the Marianas. Chief would suffocate and Mr. Stark would implode like a cheap beer can.

And Luke's favorite color of underwear is green because of his lightsaber, lol jk.

As the MKVI is a highly upgraded version of the MKV,and has the attributes of a scuba and spacesuit.He would probably not make it to the bottom.

You've also got to take into account that the SPARTANs were genetically enhanced. John weighed more than a ton. I would think that would enhance his abilities to withstand pressure as well. I say it's possible.

I drove a warthog into the water on that Silent Cartographer level on Halo 1, and stayed there for a while. Chief can live under water. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back