Quick Pepakura Project Hint!

Status
Not open for further replies.

audiooutlawsjr

Alot of the armor and helmets I have made are out of cardboard. Yea alot of people just put the pepakura together, resin it to make it strong enough for fiber glassing? well i have a trick that i do.i glue all my pepakura templates to cardboard cut them out with a craft knife. after that I cut all the fold ENOUGH to bend and fold. once I'm done with that i tape it all together. Now here comes the trick! You take resin and you paint it in the helmet,BUT do not mix it too hot or it will dry to fast. paint it in the inside till the card board soakes it in. Whan it is all dry you now have a perfect shell that wont crack or break unless you slam it on the ground. but for extra precaution. resin the outside also. after that you may sand and paint.

That sounds easy enough however I seen that using smooth-cast 300 on the inside is easy as well, but is it a total replacement for fiberglass and resin? Could This work with your cardboard method?

I don't mean to be rude, but I think that you had better lay off the "New Topic" button until you have sufficient pics. That's a policy which we here at the 405th strongly enforce. Just a word to the wise ...

ARMYofONE2469 said:
I personally think that's a good idea! ;)

But isn't that like Triple the work? :unsure

its not triple the work because you are cutting out having to fiberglass the inside and bondo the out.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaGorilla said:
That sounds easy enough however I seen that using smooth-cast 300 on the inside is easy as well, but is it a total replacement for fiberglass and resin? Could This work with your cardboard method?

it should but i do belive that it may be too liquidy.

Similar to my idea of making a " See-Through " helmet with 2 Liter soda bottles.

( works better with visors, Cut out template with plastic over top. and glue as regular pepakura )

ARMYofONE2469 said:
Similar to my idea of making a " See-Through " helmet with 2 Liter soda bottles.

( works better with visors, Cut out template with plastic over top. and glue as regular pepakura )

eh..not as much but i do say that a way to make a simple visor is tub-a-wear, gold or black window tint, and some tin snips(or really strong sisors)

ARMYofONE2469 said:

( works better with visors, Cut out template with plastic over top. )

Another method is with tupperware

Me, I'm resining all my parts and then mudglassing them. Gives me great strength in previous ventures.

Note that the resin and paper layer will be sanded off. It's just for rigidity while I mudglass.

Luckily for me, my cousin, who works at a robotics shop, has access to a full-scale vacu-forming machine, so I'm gonna go with that for my visor, which I'll tint later.

Vacu-forming means just the right size, you know... If you do it right.

Honestly, in papercraft, I've never seen much use for cardboard, and this kinda parallels that. Good concept, and I'd like to see it played all the way out, but I'm not gonna try it. At least not now.

audiooutlawsjr said:
Alot of the armor and helmets I have made are out of cardboard. Yea alot of people just put the pepakura together, resin it to make it strong enough for fiber glassing? well i have a trick that i do.i glue all my pepakura templates to cardboard cut them out with a craft knife. after that I cut all the fold ENOUGH to bend and fold. once I'm done with that i tape it all together. Now here comes the trick! You take resin and you paint it in the helmet,BUT do not mix it too hot or it will dry to fast. paint it in the inside till the card board soakes it in. Whan it is all dry you now have a perfect shell that wont crack or break unless you slam it on the ground. but for extra precaution. resin the outside also. after that you may sand and paint.

But doesn't Fiberglass add extra strength on the inside? Also you forgot to mention about the bondo part because I think the papers will just die when you sand it without the bondo.

DeathOfBlades said:
But doesn't Fiberglass add extra strength on the inside? Also you forgot to mention about the bondo part because I think the papers will just die when you sand it without the bondo.

when you resin the out side like i had mentioned. the paper obsorbs the resin making it harder! you may bondo it for regitity but it looks really good just as is

audiooutlawsjr said:
it should but i do belive that it may be too liquidy.

I've used SmoothCast 300 on all of my pieces... it can be messy, but if you're good with getting the joints on your pep (or cardboard, etc) sealed up well, it's not too bad. I have more of a problem with it sloshing out the open end of whatever I'm dealing with (forearms, shins, etc) :) I've been using packing tape to get a lip on some of the pieces or completely close off one end completely.

I haven't ever done anything like this until recently, but I think that using casting resin is a great method that produces fantastic results in very little time. It can get expensive though ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back