Props Halo 3 Sniper Rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

It has been a while but I finally got going on the Sniper Rifle. Here is a draft drawing, still have a bit of work before its complete, but I wanted to get some feedback to see what you all think before I finish it up.

I have to say that the talent that I am seeing on this board is incredible. I almost didn't bother with this piece and I am still not sure that my old 2D drafting skills are up to the quality of work that I have seen displayed here lately.

This has to be one of the hardest weapons to get right. The images from the game are so distorted that it makes getting the proportions extremely difficult. I finally piece together 6 or so images to try to get it right. I then used an image from the Weta live action ODST trailer to confirm the proportions were correct. Luckily it was a long shot so that the perspective distortion was minimal. I assume that Weta had access to the 3D model from the game when they built theirs so one would figure that it should be pretty close.

Alan

Hey there WOF, Looks like you're going well with the Sniper Rifle so far. Got a question how would I take the SMG for example and cut it from Pink Board similar to the way you did the Fett templates for the TDH. I know with your Fett Templates I was able to cut the plates from Sintra but if I use your Blueprints for the SMG as a outline on the pink board would that work the same way as your other templates?

Oh Wizard... You can't even imagine how long I've been waiting for this! I just love the blueprint, and I can't wait to get to use it. ;)

Hi Alan,

I love the drawings. Hope you check out my Sniper I built. I also built the BR and M6G off your plans.

Glad to see you back!

Lee

Alan! Good to see you back among us, buddy! :D

From one draftsman (who's already drawn up the SR) to another, I'd say you got the proportions and detailing down pat. You actually even put more detail into yours than I did, lol. All depends on who has what reference material to work with, I guess :lol

Something I didn't realize until after I'd finished my schematics was that I didn't put enough of a gap between the carry handle and the forward grip on the main body. Also made the cartridge a little shorter than it's supposed to be, based on the in-game model.

I like to think I got mine pretty accurate despite those few design flaws. Yours will still be a helluva lot more detailed than mine. Great job so far :cool

Hello,

Thank you guys. This one is a real challenge.

There are a few quirks when dealing with this type of project. There are “hard” details (actual 3D model) and “mapping” details which make it a complete visual package. Some of the mapping details are almost impossible to extrude in the “real world” it is like one of those drawing illusions that look really cool but can never be built. I am spending a lot of time working out these types of details.

Nintendude:

The pink foam build might be a bit of a stretch for the SMG and detailed pieces in general, but that is just my opinion.

I saw in Vrogy blog (http://www.flickr.com/photos/vrogy/4119276490/) where he has used a CNC machine to sculpt the assault rifle and the Spartan Laser from pink foam. The CNC rout requires a certain level of sophistication that most folks just don’t have access to and then you still have the problem of how seal/finish the piece so that it is presentable and durable enough to be handled. My limited experience with the stuff has made it clear that it has to be skinned with plastic/wood or something so that you can get a presentable surface finish and then it can be used as master for making mold for casting either fiberglass or resin. I’ll be watching Vrogy intently to see how he resolves this.

LeeKegan:

You have done some incredible work. The detail you have managed to get out of WOOD is amazing.

Spartan II:

Thank you. When I am done with this it I have to compare it to yours. I try really hard not to look at other people’s work while I am working on my drawings, keeps me from getting in trouble.

The perspective that the game uses is very “harsh” to say the least. So getting the proportions right is really tough, especial since this piece is so long.

wizardofflight said:
LeeKegan:

You have done some incredible work. The detail you have managed to get out of WOOD is amazing.

Thanks Alan,

Your Blueprints are what got me started making better version of the Halo props.

Glad to see you back.

SPARTAN II helped me out with his drawings for the sniper I did.

You both are have made it a lot easier for me and other members to make some amazing props.

Lee

Last edited by a moderator:
wizardofflight said:
Hello,

Thank you guys. This one is a real challenge.

There are a few quirks when dealing with this type of project. There are “hard” details (actual 3D model) and “mapping” details which make it a complete visual package. Some of the mapping details are almost impossible to extrude in the “real world” it is like one of those drawing illusions that look really cool but can never be built. I am spending a lot of time working out these types of details.

[...]

Spartan II:

Thank you. When I am done with this it I have to compare it to yours. I try really hard not to look at other people’s work while I am working on my drawings, keeps me from getting in trouble.

The perspective that the game uses is very “harsh” to say the least. So getting the proportions right is really tough, especial since this piece is so long.

BOLD # 1: I know what you mean, buddy. It also took me some time (and a few rough drafts) to finally get the SR schematics to an acceptable standard for proportions and detailing. More recently, I've been considering going back to mine and revising it to include more of the finer, smaller details. Just haven't had the time, lol.

BOLD # 2: I'm the same way. I like to draft my schematics based purely on reference pics and found dimensions. Feel free to take a look at mine when your done with this.

LeeKegan said:
Thanks Alan,

Your Blueprints are what got me started making better version of the Halo props.

Glad to see you back.

SPARTAN II helped me out with his drawings for the sniper I did.

You both are have made it a lot easier for me and other members to make some amazing props.

Lee

Yes I did, and boy was that a fun collaboration, my friend! Looking forward to helping you out with other such builds ;)

Speaking for myself, since I don't really have any actual props to contribute here, I simply figured I should help contribute to the community. The schematics I've drafted are just my way of doing that :cool

Last edited by a moderator:
How do I go about Downloading that blueprint? Everytime I click on it, it just pops it out on the same page...

=(

I wish you had this one about a month ago, I was using your blueprint pictures on my Dividers for my engineering portfolio..lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back