Resining Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

tazman2087

I have tried three separate times to resin a pepakura model made with cardstock, and all three times it has failed. The first time, I mixed it correctly, coated the model, waited two hours, just like the directions on the can say, and the model was not even remotely dry. It was as if i had just coated it. I decided to wait 24 hours to see if that made a difference, maybe the humidity had made the dry time longer. NO. The model was still tacky/sticky after letting it dry 24 hours. I scrapped that model and tried a second time. The same thing happened. Third time, measured out the hardener and the resin super-accurately, mixed it thoroughly for a good 3 minutes, and it's been about two hours and it's still tacky. The strange thing is that the leftover in the mixing bucket has turned into something resembling a hockey puck every time. Hard as a rock. Any ideas as to why my resin hardens and drys perfectly in the bucket, but refuses to dry on the model. It is getting so frustrating that I'm liable to blow a gasket and introduce the drywall in my garage to my fist. Help.

i had the same problem, i think i will go out today and try agaiin, i think my problem was because i didn't put enough hardener in, so thats what i'll do next time, put more in. :).

I'll report back later tonight. :).

Cheers, Dave.

mc hammer time said:
number one: what is the temperature?

number two: how many drops of resin are you using for a capful?

As of 8:15 CST the temperature where I am is 49.5 F.

I am using Elmers Fiberglass Resin, and the directions on the back of the can say to use 14 drops of hardener per ounce of resin.

Last edited by a moderator:
tazman2087 said:
As of 8:15 CST the temperature where I am is 49.5 F.

I am using Elmers Fiberglass Resin, and the directions on the back of the can say to use 14 drops of hardener per ounce of resin.

Its because its to cold

Always use more hardener the the can says to use. I tripple the amount of hardener I use for #1- faster dry time, and #2-it actually dries.

You have to be patient with this kind of stuff. If its still tacky after 48 hours of dry-time, sprinkle some baby pouder/corn starch onto the resin. That will dry it out 100% and get rid of most of the smell in about 1 hour.

And if it seems cured but still just a tad tacky, use talc powder to get rid of the tackyness. It won't cure it tho.

Alex spartan177 said:
Its because its to cold

I'm certain this is your problem. One of the things resin needs to cure properly is heat. If it's too cold your resin won't cure.

Their are instructions for a "hot box," on the forums somewhere, basically a wood box with opening for pet store heat lamps that creates a temperature controlled area for your resin to cure in. If that is out of the question, put it in the garage with some space heaters on it, and hit ti with a hair dryer/heat gun. Just have to give it time in the proper temperature to set up and cure.

Cadet said:
I'm certain this is your problem.  One of the things resin needs to cure properly is heat.  If it's too cold your resin won't cure.

Their are instructions for a "hot box," on the forums somewhere, basically a wood box with opening for pet store heat lamps that creates a temperature controlled area for your resin to cure in.  If that is out of the question, put it in the garage with some space heaters on it, and hit ti with a hair dryer/heat gun.  Just have to give it time in the proper temperature to set up and cure.

Yeah I used that to melt down clay.

Basicly take a box put one hole big enough for a 75w lamp. Layer all sides of the box with aluminium foil and light the lamp :) Guess if the box is big enough for your pep piece, it should cure.

I used a shoe box in my case.

its the cold for sure got the same problem atm , if you want somthing to use inside of the house you can use epoxy it doesent smell that hard and the price is allmost the same

grtz

Use a hair blow drier on the spots that you resin. Works perfectly.

When properly mixed, and at the correct temperature, resin will harden in a few minutes.

Okay, so i kind of merged the hot box idea and the space heater idea. I got some PVC pipe i had lying around and made a box. I wrapped the box in painters drop plastic and made sure that the edges were sealed. I cut some slits in the back to let some of the air escape. I made a hood and taped it around the output of a small space heater. Took me about two hours to make. I'll let you know if it works tomorrow morning.

[attachment=14095:Box-1.jpg][attachment=14096:Box-2.jpg][attachment=14097:Box-3.jpg][attachment=14098:Box-4.jpg]

a box and a heater works great as well, cut a hole in the box for the heater, put in the resining peice and presto. it worked for me, be careful when you take it out though the glue is all soft and is easily pulled apart, i failed at that and half my mask fell to bits... oh well.

Cheers, and thanks for the temperature tip.

My hot box worked for the most part. I left it on all night and when I checked this morning the clip was almost completely dry. Just a few tacky spots.

Use talc powder (baby powder) for the tackyness.

Altought I wouldn't recommend letting this setting run overnight. I'd be afraid it might burn and take fire.

LastSpartan said:
Use talc powder (baby powder) for the tackyness.

Altought I wouldn't recommend letting this setting run overnight. I'd be afraid it might burn and take fire.

I thought about that, but the heater never got hot enough to really do much of anything. It made the inside of the chamber just warm enough for the resin to cure.

Pretty creative thinking, good on ya!

you can use a heat gun to hit a specific spot that is not curing and other thing you can do is lightly brush the uncured parts with hardener.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back