Reach: An Lt Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I've only so far seen pep files, and half done pieces. It's shiznit like this that inspires people!

I made a bet with my friend someone will have gone this far within a month of the trailer showing.

I may now go and collect.

Excellent, excellent, job well done.

I can't wait to see it finished.

Are the "skickies" and the "foamies" the same thing?

If not, what is the difference and what purpose do they hold?

I'm guessing it's to give strait lines on raised bondo details? Correct me if I'm wrong...

Thanks! Looking great!!

Yes, stickies and foamies are the same thing, I just switch which words I use to talk about them. It is double sided tape I use to build up details. So anywhere I want a sharp defined line, recessed or built up are I will use them. They make a huge difference when trying to detail. You can see them in the pic of the top of the helmet. In one pic I have them layed out and later the bond is right up to them. It also helps you maintain uniform depth in a recessed are, you can sand down to the top of the foamie and you know that is where you stop. They make a hude difference when you get to the detailing stage.

Wow I am really flattered this is going up on the WIP wednesday article! Thanks so much, I didn't even think it would make it. Anyway, Update! So I didn't do a whole lot yesterday, other than buy materials and build a vacuum former. So I have all the stuff to do the visors now. And today, I cut out the visor section, removed the foamies in the areas I had finished and cleaned them up, and buffed most of the scratches out of the helmet. I also got some more supplies today, only this time, I got molding latex, casting resin, and release agent :) So I am all set to finish up the helm itself tomorrow, finish the visor buck, vac form my first visor and make sure everything fits perfect so I can make my mold. I am hoping to have that all done before Saturday, seeing as I fly back to Utah Saturday afternoon and can't do most of that due to the stupid cold. Once again, for the pics or it didn't happen people (and also just cuz I love adding pics), here you go:

IMG_5620.jpg

You can see that I cut out the visor, and under the brim added the stepped detai that wasn't in the original pep. I used foamies to outline and build it up. I also built up the side areas around the visor. I am still trying to figure out how to do the shape in front of the chin detail.

IMG_5621.jpg

IMG_5623.jpg

In these ones you can see some of the side and back details I cut in using foamies. I may add one to the front of the swoop, I am trying to check all the reference pictures to get an idea of shape and size before I do, but those will be quick and easy to add tomorrow.

IMG_5624.jpg

I also removed the foamies on the top of the head and sharpened up the edges. I didn't primer so you could see the sharp edges more easily.

IMG_5626.jpg

IMG_5627.jpg

And here is the vac former. Its simple, I just followed the basic tutorial layout, and am working on a more advanced design with my dad. He is also an engineer and we like to bounce ideas off one another. I still have to drill a hole for the buck support, but other than that it is finished.

So all in all, I am crazy excited about the next fews days. We are also swinging by the local motorcycle shop so I can test fit a motorcycle visor just to see how it will work, and also to find what size replacement liner I will need to order. Hope y'all enjoy, I know I have enjoyed almost every minute!

Wow man the helmet is looking great so far. alot better than mine the shoulder put this and about 3 other things i was pepping on hold. cant wait to see it finished

It sticks a little bit to the sides, but because of the smooth non porrous surface of the tape etc, it doesn't stick. I use an exacto knife to clean up the edges a little bit. Also, a little update. I ran by the Yamaha store today and bought the liner for my helmet and decided to check on whether a motorcycle visor would fit, and wouldn't you know it, but it fits great. So I bought one and taped it in the helmet and filled in the small gaps with bondo. It actually looks much better, the spaces around the visor are much more uniform. I also bondoed in the rougher areas and am mostly on to the smoothing stage. Heres the pics of the visor. It is still covered in painters tape to prevent it from being damaged.

IMG_5628.jpg

IMG_5629.jpg

So the area around the visor is all done. I am really excited about how its turning out. Tomorrow will be finishing the smoothing and cut lines, final primer and paint base coat. If there is enough time, I may do the glove mold as well.

EDIT: Just a note, as a commemorative, Quinn made me a new sig. He took the time to do it for me free of charge. Can't thank you enough Quinn, you ROCK!!!!!

ReachSig.jpg

So you put the foamies down and lay tape over them?

Sorry, but I think this whole foamie thing is quite intriguing!

No worries, this is the perfect place to ask. I actually use double sided tape, which is sticky one one side and has a green removable backing on the other side. If you look at the pics you will see the green. Some people use foam and white glue to stick the foam to the area with detail. I like the double sided tape, it is quick, cheap and easy to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back