Reach: An Lt Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon McClain

Well, I figured since I don't have anything else to do over the holidays, and Rundown has been so awesome and gotten started on the Reach armor, I might as well give it a shot. So, I did the unfold, a few actually, and finally settled on a smooth unfold. I printed off the pep and got started. Also bought all my stuff again, cuz I am down with my parents in Houston for the holidays. So I have the helm all pepped now, resin, brushes, bondo, mask, pretty much everything I need to knock this baby out before the new year. So for all those who are fans of "Pics or it didn't happen", here you go:

IMG_5574.jpg

Getting started

IMG_5575.jpg

Chin detail

IMG_5576.jpg

Ear detail

IMG_5577.jpg

Lens in

IMG_5578.jpg

Starting to feel like I'm getting somewhere

IMG_5579.jpg

Coming along

IMG_5580.jpg

Filling in the back

IMG_5581.jpg

Shot with a flash

IMG_5582.jpg

Almost done

IMG_5583.jpg

Reach LT All done

IMG_5584.jpg

3/4 Shot of LT

IMG_5585.jpg

LT from the back

IMG_5586.jpg

Face to Face with the LT

So I cardboard reinforced the ear and chin details, as well as the flat areas above the visor and below the ears. I also created a little support for the neck opening to pull it in closer and adjust the shape of the helm, I found that it had gotten a bit wide, so this just works a little better. I made the neck opening 8 inches wide, I might recommend 8 1/2 for anyone else who wanted to give it a shot, at least using the 30cm scale. Hope yall like it. It looks a little warped around the nose detail, but I may use cardboard to reinforce it and pull it stright. Let me know what you think. Tomorrow is resin time, so I will make sure to take some good pics and let yall know how it goes. Now I am just waiting for Rundown to post his chest model and we will get started on that too.

Oh, and here's the link for the helm unfold: http://www.4shared.com/file/173976774/5943188/ReachWOutSmoother.html

Enjoy, I know I did!

Clean pepping on the helmet :)

I'm going to start one soon seeing as I'm off.

Were the ear-circle pieces hard to pep?

Do you think a motorcycle visor will fit for the visor?

That's Incredible ;D Yet, another extraordinary build, The folds look pretty smooth, did you use a hot glue gun?

I wish my builds were looking as clean as yours!Love it.

I don't get it.Why does it look more O.D.S.T. than Spartan?

looks awesome :p

I also am curious if the tiny ear pieces were hard to pep.

this inspires me to do a Reach Helm :p

Looks great yea some of those pieces look like they might be a pain.. lol but none the less b-e-a-utiful awesome helmet.

First things first. In answer to questions, Yes, I use hot glue. It sets quick and I love the forgivability. When I goof or don't quite like how something lines up, I can just heat up the section and move it. As far as the ear sections, I didn't think they were too tough, but I have smaller hands for a guy my size and am used to doing really dextrous work. I built intricate lego models until I was about 19, and still do from time to time, and have always enjoyed hobbies that involve that level of intricacy. Using card board as a backing helped pull everything flat. I am going to tweak a few areas today before I start resin. I also downloaded the OBJs of the new helm, chest and ab plate that Rundown released, so I will get working on those as well once the resin is layed and I am waiting for it to cure. I will get those up asap. Thanks for the comments, hope yall enjoy this as much as I am!

Edit: As far as a motorcycle visor fitting, my guess is not, the curves don't look like they work right. I don't have one here to test fit, but I had planned on vacuum forming anyway. The plan was to build a vacuum former for myself and S299 while I was here for Christmas. Plus that way you can get the slight bubble and the ridges in the visor.

You can get styrene at a craft or hobby store, and price depends on thickness. Rube is the better one to ask. There are a few vacuum forming tutorials you may want to check out, they really help out a lot. Made some build progress today. Unfolded Rundowns ab plate, and started on the chest peice, I don't have my mouse with me, so that limits how much intricate stuff I can do. It is a beautiful day today in Texas, so I was able to get the resin done on the helmet. Two coats outside and one coat inside. I started thin on the outside and was able to build up as it dried. I noticed around the neck area was a little flimsy, so I added some fibreglass reinforcing. I then spray painted the outside with filler primer so I could get an idea of where needed the most work and to kill some of the resin smell. Having a blow dryer handy made it a lot easier and sped up the cure time. So next step is mud-glassing the inside (Rondo and fibreglass fabric), and that will probably happen Monday. So here's your pics (there are a bunch):

IMG_5587.jpg

Everything set up outside, trying to minimize mess

IMG_5588.jpg

First outside layer done

IMG_5589.jpg

Outside resin all done

IMG_5591.jpg

Resin done

Sprayed with Filler Primer:

IMG_5592.jpg

IMG_5593.jpg

IMG_5594.jpg