Drgnfyre4 Mk Vi Progress Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
When the judge of a costume contest says your suit looks store bought, then it's mission accomplished. You won't believe how many jaws drop when I say "I built it", and this is from just regular Joe's. I can understand being irritated about not being placed in the contest, but if it were me I would have probably cracked a little smile after I thought about it a bit. Your suit is a perfect example of "as good as it gets". There are maybe 3 or 4 just right suits here, and yours is definitely one of them.

You're suit is as Elite as you can go, and we all know you just can't a work of art like that.
And as you can tell were all waiting around to see how you're weapons come out. :)

As for the next contest...Well I'll tell you what I did to get around that problem. I made up a full size laminated poster with pic's on it of every step I took to build my suit, there was no doubt about the build after that. You just have to clean the drool makes off it at the end of the night. :cool

Thats a good idea About the poster board with progress pics. I have done costume competitions in the past where you have had to provide a portfolio showing the process to prove your work, but this particularly "cosplay celebrity" judge didnt want to hear any of it since she considers herself an expert on all things costume and immediately dismissed pepakura as not requiring skill, as if you simply hit PRINT and a finished armor suit magically pops out of your printer. LOL

Thats a good idea About the poster board with progress pics. I have done costume competitions in the past where you have had to provide a portfolio showing the process to prove your work, but this particularly "cosplay celebrity" judge didnt want to hear any of it since she considers herself an expert on all things costume and immediately dismissed pepakura as not requiring skill, as if you simply hit PRINT and a finished armor suit magically pops out of your printer. LOL

I believe "ho" slaps are in order.

That is so said. I didn't know there were people like that out there. As I look at the 309 build hours on mine, with all the custom parts/changes to the pep files, yes I would be upset to be told that. I've watched you're build move from day 1 and I know what you put into it. The only thing I can say is that you're build is in the ELITE section here on the 405 for a reason, and its builds like you'res that inspire the rest of us.

Final note, out of the 15, 2 part cold foam and latex costumes that I hand sculpted and caste'd over the years only 1 has ever won a contest and 13 of them were not allowed because no one would believe that they were not store bought.

Coming from traditional prop building methods, when I first came hear and heard about pepakura I thought it was cheating, but now I love it. There is an insane amount of time that goes into it, and if anyone wants to think otherwise should give it a try. Carrying around a poster or portfolio is a great idea though.

Coming from traditional prop building methods, when I first came hear and heard about pepakura I thought it was cheating, but now I love it. There is an insane amount of time that goes into it, and if anyone wants to think otherwise should give it a try. Carrying around a poster or portfolio is a great idea though.

whats is a traditional method?

I'm very amazed by the amount of care and detailing put into the small places in the armor in order to smooth it out. It's quite a bit of talented craftsmanship that goes into that. Very lovely. I'm quite jealous! =D

I also posted this in the armor related videos section but for those that dont make it around to there, here is a short video by Freddy Wong that I was in as Master Chief!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back