RoboCop: Helmet and Collar Available!

:cautious:
finalhelm1.png

1.22MB

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=28W9QOOM

-Backup Links-

http://rapidshare.com/files/439111225/Helmet_and_Collar.pdo

http://hotfile.com/dl/91762168/f9cd04e/Helmet_and_Collar.pdo.html

Hey guys, I've already begun posting this in the "Request" thread in the Pepakura section, but thought I'd make a thread here in the meantime!

I'm currently modeling RoboCop, specifically as seen in RoboCop 2, but with optional parts for the RoboCop and RoboCop 3/The Series versions. The vast majority of my reference material is derived from HQ behind-the-scenes photos, numerous photos of original suits as they are today in the hands of private collectors, HD caps from RoboCop 2&3, and finally, the Horizon and Max Factory model kits as a 3-dimensional reference. While the Horizon kit is not extraordinarily accurate, the Max Factory is for the most part.

Actually, the Max Factory kit was cut up and used as the body for the stop-motion puppets used in RoboCop 2.

My ultimate goal is to produce files that accurately reflect the proportions and details of the original suits within the scope of Pepakura. There will be no cut corners. No areas will be dumbed down to make them easier to wear. Any modifications will be up to the end-user, because I uphold accuracy to the original Bottin suits above all else.

Feel free to comment and critique all you want, I welcome it. And if you've any questions as to how I've gone about modeling this suit or decided the Parts List, go ahead and ask! :D

robf.jpg

tempkt.jpg

testspike.jpg

-----Parts List-----

• Complete
  • Helmet

Modeling
  • Lower Neckseal
  • Chest
  • Upper Arms
  • Elbow Joints
  • Lower Arms/Arm Cuffs
  • Gauntlets
  • Tank
  • Midsection Vest
  • Midsection Ribs
  • Briefs
  • Thighs
  • Feet

Yet-To-Be-Started
  • Knee Joints
  • Lower Legs
  • Ankle Joints
  • Pistons

Ohh, I smell epic in the making. Looks brilliant so far.

Are you going to build a suit yourself, or is this just to produce the pep files?

Drgnfyre4 said:
You pull this off and you will be my god! Of all the things to pep Robocop would be the ultimate!

Yeah... What He Said ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been wanting a RoboCop Suit as long as I can remember, so I most definitely intend on building one of these myself! I have to build the Pep files to make sure they work before uploading them anyway, right? And I'll definitely have to start a build thread since many of the suit parts can't be produced using the standard methods for Pepakura armor.

My plan is to have the Pep files scaled to the actual suit size, roughly 6', so that it will be easier for people to scale the pieces to themselves. Plus, with the alternate RoboCop 3/The Series pieces, slightly longer necks and thighs should be easy to accommodate.

A ) This is an awesome project.

I hope it works out well. would love to see some high quality robocops running around.

and

B ) Love your picture.

Daft Punk+RoboCop=Win

Nice robo. Glad You finally made the thread. The wheels are in motion. I'm anticipating this build a lot.

Good luck man

wow, i love robocop, and this is awesome. no offense to halo's awesomeness, but we need more scifi peps besides halo!!!!! anyways, i will be watchin. keep up the good work :)

Drgnfyre4 said:
You pull this off and you will be my god! Of all the things to pep Robocop would be the ultimate!

Ditto, couldn't have said it better myself :p

Feet are coming along well.

foot.png

The mess of seemingly random polys and vertices you see is what the rest of the model looked like at one point or another, so don't fret! After everything is blocked out I'll begin simplifying and streamlining everything.

I went back over the helmet and decided to make a few alterations while I was prepping it for Pepakura. In addition to modeling the appropriate connectors to enable a 3-piece helmet, I added a few extra polys to the jaw, visor and rear panel. Much smoother, and no difficulty added to the build. Anyway, I'll let the pics talk. Just excuse the uber-cheesy lighting I used.

newhelm4.png

newhelm2.png

newhelm.png

I did add a bit of difficulty though, with some upper neckseal details I had omitted beforehand. Can't even recall the reason I let them out, to be honest. Regardless, they're they're now, and will line up with the corresponding lower neckseal details when that model is complete.

newhelm3.png

Tell me if anything looks off, or if you'd like to see some extra detail anywhere.

Thanks, everyone! I've already built a couple versions of the helmet in straight paper to ensure that it isn't impossible, and I think that I've reached a good balance between detail and build-ability. Plus, the rough unfold I did kept a lot of the curves seen in the renders, meaning not much will have to be done to get it smooth. :)

CrackerJack121 said:
Man your renders look awesome.

It's like advertising; you've got to find the balance between informative and dramatic. Let you guys see the details, but make it a bit interesting at the same time.

Had an export issue that hampered everything, but now I can move forward again!

And here is the first file: Robo's helmet and collar.

The collar is fully detailed.

finalhelm1.png

finalhelm2.png

The bottom of the helmet also holds the corresponding details.

finalhelm3.png

And yes, the whole thing does split apart like the original suit parts.

finalhelm5.png

This thing is ridiculously big, at 21 letter-sized pages. I've not done a lot of unfolding, and after staring at this helmet so long at the modeling stage it's difficult to try and break it up in a way that's both easy to build and minimizes page count. If anyone would like to try an unfold, that'd be awesome!

I believe this to be 1/1 scale, but I can't be sure since I've only just started building the piece... and don't have a helmet to compare it to, anyway!

In the meantime, here you guys go. :D

1.22MB

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=28W9QOOM

-Backup Links-

http://rapidshare.com/files/439111225/Helmet_and_Collar.pdo

http://hotfile.com/dl/91762168/f9cd04e/Helmet_and_Collar.pdo.html

I hope my old 3D Model will help you out some with your progress. He's all broke down but needs some editing to get it right. I think you've been working on this project now for 1-2 years have'nt you?

http://www.4shared.com/file/ZmbxTDTu/Robocop.html

That's the same model that's been floating around for a while; not usable, even as a base to modify and build atop.

Luckily, the problem I was having before (where entire parts of the model would vanish when Pepakura imported them) has been alleviated, so I can keep marching forward. I slowed down when I was unsure if the model would ever be compatible but I've picked up the pace, and the arms are almost ready to go.

Just need to tidy up the lower arm cuff vents and finalize the upper arm overlap, and then mod the rear panel details (since the arms are not symmetrical, even with the scribed details taken out of the equation) and I can start unfolding. Sometime around New Year's is when they'll see a release.

The gauntlets will be a separate file from the arms to allow for flexibility not only in proportions, but also in construction method. If someone were to execute the gaunts in rubber, for example, the model size would have to be bumped up about 10% to account for latex shrinkage.

After that, it's on to the midsection, which is mostly squared away. All that needs to happen there is the addition of detail to the hip-meeting lip on the briefs (mostly geometric, so no major hurdles) and some cleanup where it meets the collar. And, of course, splitting the tank, rings and briefs along the already existing lines. Nothing crazy, shouldn't take too long.

The chest won't come along until after the midsection, since that sucker needs to fit over it. Basically, I plan on releasing the files in roughly the same order one would build them.

Anyway, without Pepakura itself hindering me, I'm full steam on this project! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back