How To Make A Helmet From Pep To Finish

Status
Not open for further replies.
OXM_Chase said:
I'm completely confused then if 280 is the normal height. The measurements to the one I printed out had been left alone, so the height is 318mm, width is 278mm, and depth is 414mm yet the helmet can fit 2 heads in it.

I know it does seem like a lot of dif. since the numbers are not that far apart, but when you adjust the height the depth and width also adjust to keep the scale. Thus adjusting one actually changes all three, and can drastically alter the size of a helmet with only minor adjustments. I would start from 280mm as the height, and if that is to small then adjust up in 50mm increments.

Last edited by a moderator:
BenStreeper said:
I know it does seem like a lot of dif. since the numbers are not that far apart, but when you adjust the height the depth and width also adjust to keep the scale. Thus adjusting one actually changes all three, and can drastically alter the size of a helmet with only minor adjustments. I would start from 280mm as the height, and if that is to small then adjust up in 50mm increments.

Unless you're like the Hulk or a hobbit or something, 280 is about the "one size fits all" for any helmet other than the busa

BenStreeper said:

Alright cause the helmet is twice the size of the helmet that came in the legendary edition of Halo 3 if that helps to visualize the size. I'll try it at 280mm height and go from there.

4O5Th learner said:
where did you get the paint brushes?! sorry I couldn't hear where you got them

Harbor Freights really is the best place to get the brushes. That's where Ben purchased his. You can get a dozen or so in a box for about $10 that I saw today.

OXM_Chase said:
Harbor Freights really is the best place to get the brushes. That's where Ben purchased his. You can get a dozen or so in a box for about $10 that I saw today.

correct, I get them in the 1 inch size 36 brushes for $6 at my local harbor freight

Hey ben,

Just wondering how the builds are coming along... And I can personally thank you for helping me get a first place metal in VAC (visual arts competition) at state. I used the tutorials you made to help make the sculpture i did for the long term project. So thanks!

Our prompt was to use nontraditional building materials (aka: no clay, no paper, no wire sculptures) to make an art piece that reflected your personalities. It had to also include some major icon in the 70's. So once again thanks for the advice and tips!

Granted I haven't been doing this as long as most of you, but how can 280mm be the normal height for all types of helmets if they're shaped differently and produce different widths and depths? I scaled a scout helmet to 280mm and a Mark VI at 280mm ending in different measurements. Now, the Mark VI I understand why 280mm is a good measurement to use, but if I set other helmets at that height they're going to be bigger?

Mark VI

height 11in. width 9.6in. depth 14 in.

Scout

height 11in. width 11.9 in. depth 16 in.

Sorry to keep pushing this confusion, I just don't want to do all that work and find out I scaled the helmet too big again. I feel like you have to go off of the Mark VI 280mm measurement as a guide to what you want the helmet to size up to. For the scout, I'd probably want to drop it down to 270mm if I'm not mistaken. Again, I'm completely lost after looking at multiple helmet layouts haha

hi, i was wondering if there was any other similar product to the flex-it foam that i might be able to find at a local wal-mart? i also tried to look for your other videos concerning washing your helmet but had no luck finding them. so i was wondering if you could explain to me what you mean by wash your helmet? or do you mean literally just wash it with water? thanks again for all your help!!!

OXM_Chase said:
Granted I haven't been doing this as long as most of you, but how can 280mm be the normal height for all types of helmets if they're shaped differently and produce different widths and depths? I scaled a scout helmet to 280mm and a Mark VI at 280mm ending in different measurements. Now, the Mark VI I understand why 280mm is a good measurement to use, but if I set other helmets at that height they're going to be bigger?

Mark VI

Scout

Sorry to keep pushing this confusion, I just don't want to do all that work and find out I scaled the helmet too big again. I feel like you have to go off of the Mark VI 280mm measurement as a guide to what you want the helmet to size up to. For the scout, I'd probably want to drop it down to 270mm if I'm not mistaken. Again, I'm completely lost after looking at multiple helmet layouts haha

Well, the reason that they all are usually close to 280 is that despite the fact that the widths and depth's change, the height of the helmet is what makes it the right/wrong size for your head. As it stands, the scout helmet has that really long front to it, so even though the height is the same as the mk VI, the depth of the helmet will be larger. Also, you want a little room inside to put padding and whatnot.

Col Keller said:
Hey ben,

Just wondering how the builds are coming along... And I can personally thank you for helping me get a first place metal in VAC (visual arts competition) at state. I used the tutorials you made to help make the sculpture i did for the long term project. So thanks!

Our prompt was to use nontraditional building materials (aka: no clay, no paper, no wire sculptures) to make an art piece that reflected your personalities. It had to also include some major icon in the 70's. So once again thanks for the advice and tips!

Builds are coming along a little slow this month due to prepping the store for opening (yep I'm opening up a gamestore) However I do set aside one or two days to get some work done. As it stands here is my current project status

Eod Helmet: Hardened

Mark V: Hardened

Eva : Working mold done, needs mother mold

Childsize Dutch: Final mold done, needs mother mold

Mark VI v3 (pep + vac formed mask details): Working mold done, 2 pulls made, cleaning up 2nd and prepping for final mold

LoneWolf: Detailing stage 90% complete wave one will be "working molding soon"

Mark 6 suit done (awaiting rubber for molding): this has been laying around the shop for a while my last molds were destroyed in the 2008 hurricane and I have yet to re-mold

I hope to get some work done on these today, but I have 3 adult size dutch helmet orders to complete, and 1 odst suit to complete before I can get back to my "recreational" prop making. You know how it goes, got to sell some to fund making more.

P.S.

I would love to see some pics of you project sir, feel free to post them up in this thread.

OXM_Chase said:

Mark VI

Scout

good answer below

mc hammer time said:
Well, the reason that they all are usually close to 280 is that despite the fact that the widths and depth's change, the height of the helmet is what makes it the right/wrong size for your head. As it stands, the scout helmet has that really long front to it, so even though the height is the same as the mk VI, the depth of the helmet will be larger. Also, you want a little room inside to put padding and whatnot.

To summarize when you set the height it auto adjusts the width and depth 280 is a good starting point as it is the most common height of a helmet. This of course does not mean it will be right for all helmets, or for you, but it's what I would recommend to start. I personally have helmets that are 300, 310, and 290. I have none that are 280 that fit me due to my massive ego, um I mean head :p

darkcrest0716 said:
hi, i was wondering if there was any other similar product to the flex-it foam that i might be able to find at a local wal-mart? i also tried to look for your other videos concerning washing your helmet but had no luck finding them. so i was wondering if you could explain to me what you mean by wash your helmet? or do you mean literally just wash it with water? thanks again for all your help!!!

not really, the closest thing would be "great stuff" but it does not have the same physical characteristics, and I don't recommend it. Great stuff has destroyed many a helmet due to it's constant rate of expansion, and over use by helmet makers.

I have a question on the foam as well. By "flex-it foam" do you mean flex foam-it by Smooth On, or expanding foam? Because the latter is of course easier and cheaper.

mc hammer time said:
I have a question on the foam as well. By "flex-it foam" do you mean flex foam-it by Smooth On, or expanding foam? Because the latter is of course easier and cheaper.

He means the product by Smooth on

I'll try to get the some pictures up of it as soon as i can. Right now my school is holding it hostage because our school took third place as a whole at state so they want it on display for everyone to see...

BenStreeper said:
To summarize when you set the height it auto adjusts the width and depth 280 is a good starting point as it is the most common height of a helmet. This of course does not mean it will be right for all helmets, or for you, but it's what I would recommend to start. I personally have helmets that are 300, 310, and 290. I have none that are 280 that fit me due to my massive ego, um I mean head :p

I printed out the 280mm pieces and they seem to be the same size as the 318mm. Crossing my fingers it's the right size cause a lot of trees are dying for my helmet haha

OXM_Chase said:
I printed out the 280mm pieces and they seem to be the same size as the 318mm. Crossing my fingers it's the right size cause a lot of trees are dying for my helmet haha

They're not dying; they're already dead lol

BenStreeper said:
Ouch Mother Nature you just got Zinged

lol take that Mother Nature. Bazinga! Yeah I've been using both sides. Are the visors set to a specific size of helmet or will I have to cut it to fit which I hope isn't the case haha.

Hey Ben, which of these stir sticks would be stable enough to withstand stirring bondo and the mold chemicals, etc? coffee sticks but I'm thinking maybe these bamboo sticks

OXM_Chase said:
lol take that Mother Nature. Bazinga! Yeah I've been using both sides. Are the visors set to a specific size of helmet or will I have to cut it to fit which I hope isn't the case haha.

Hey Ben, which of these stir sticks would be stable enough to withstand stirring bondo and the mold chemicals, etc? coffee sticks but I'm thinking maybe these bamboo sticks

Ditto I'm also curious as to how the visors work in most helmets like vac formed visors and such do they recommend a certain sized helmet or are they like a one size fits all kinda deal?

Also for my models I'm thinking about resining the outside then glassing the inside, then a thin layer (or possibly thicker if I'm mounting things inside of the helmet) of rondo to smooth out the inside and just giving the piece more "meat" for screws or whatnot to bite into. Does this sound like a good plan? I've had bondo and resin in my bedroom for like half a year now... pepping is painfully slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back