How To Make A Helmet From Pep To Finish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Ben! I'm lovin the models. One question about the shield. How do you go about attaching the details to the base? Just glue I'm assuming but want to make sure.

ben... i was lurking and watching your videos for some time now and they helped me/inspired me the only stage that is gonna get me down is the whole cutting/gluing/pepping stage

ben... i was lurking and watching your videos for some time now and they helped me/inspired me the only stage that is gonna get me down is the whole cutting/gluing/pepping stage
yeah it's the pretty boring stage, but that's why I don't have videos of that: Capitol B...O...R...I...N..G..

lol ben do you know of anyone on the 405th that can/does all the pep work? so i just rondo,sand,patch holes,cut out visor,paint

Hey Ben, I'm looking at the shield pep and how do I divide up the entire shield? It only allows me to split it up vertically so that the shapes don't fit on a single page.

Hey Ben, I'm looking at the shield pep and how do I divide up the entire shield? It only allows me to split it up vertically so that the shapes don't fit on a single page.
You can't its one solid face. you can print it on overlapping pages and put together. I just left it off so that you can harden the inside of the shield.

Excellent tutorials Ben, just got a quick question, I should carve some details before apllying rondo outside of the helmet then redetail after applying it right?

How would I go about overlapping the pages? I thought about laying the entire shield over roughly 6 pages, but he problem with this is connecting the pieces together afterward when there aren't any edges or numbers to match. When I harden the inside with rondo or whatever I chose to use I assume it will act as the backing. Do you think it would be easier this way instead of hardening the shield like you would an AR or Magnum where you'd just pour in the hardener and slush it around?

Also, the same thing seems to occur with the master sword. The blade is 2 pages long and can only be divided vertically.

Hi Ben. THANK YOU for this thread. I spent about 3 hours after working reading through this thread. Thanks to you, I now have an idea on what to do after the pepping process.

I just finished my first pep, Sharkhead's sharkmark VI. Here's a pic:

ig9fva.jpg

I need some advice on how to proceed with hardening this pep. The pep is split into three pieces: The faceplate, jaw and rest of the helmet. I'm thinking about hardening the faceplate while it is still attached to the rest of the helmet. After, I would take off the face plate, and harden to jaw with the intricate detail of the cheek grills.

Do you think is a good plan of action? Thanks in advance!

I have a question as well... I finished rondoing about a week and a half ago and the helmet has been sitting in the garage. It is hard as a rock but on the inside it is kinda sticky and has a very feint smell to it, is that OK or did I screw up? How can I fix it?

I have a question as well... I finished rondoing about a week and a half ago and the helmet has been sitting in the garage. It is hard as a rock but on the inside it is kinda sticky and has a very feint smell to it, is that OK or did I screw up?
You screwed up a little. The stickiness means that you did not put enough hardener to cure the resin properly. As is, it's not safe to wear it because of the fumes that you will inhale.

How can I fix it?
If it's not too sticky or soft, you may use baby powder to dry it completely. If it's soft enough to gouge it with your fingernail, you may have to add another layer of rondo with enough hardener or worse, you may have to scrape off the layer and start over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back