Carpathia's Odst Buck W.i.p.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carpathia

Sr Member
Carpathia's ODST Buck W.I.P. (ON HOLD)

A few months ago, I started an ODST suit. Unfortuately, in a recent move, most of the pieces were destroyed. So, I've started over and have decided to focus on one piece at a time. I started with the helmet, and nearly have it completed. Here are the pictures thus far...

DSC03851.jpg

DSC03852.jpg

Many people may not know that there is more to Buck's comm device, but there is a bar-like object protruding from the back of the main comm piece. Here's a ref pic.

104782477-Full.jpg

And here's my version of the full comm piece.

DSC03853.jpg

DSC03854.jpg

And of course, the lights.

DSC03856.jpg

As I discovered the other day by reviewing the reference picture, the comm piece was too high, so I adjusted it and it now sits more correctly.

DSC03858.jpg

The only thing left to do is vacuum-form the visor and install padding and the helmet will be done, but since I have to wait until it's a bit warmer and I can afford a bit more to build a vacuum table, I've started to move on to the chest (including the main chest plate, the stomache plates, the belt buckle and the groin plate). I'm building the most recent files from Nightshade's collection. After that, I will move on to the shoulder pieces. The shoulders are files of my own design and unfolding and I will release those later.

I got the pep file for the main comm attachment from Jason225, his thread is here. The back piece I designed and unfolded. Here's the link for that.

http://www.4shared.com/file/233213453/c41ebf9e/Bucks_Comm_Back.html

The main piece is attached via a secured screw through the back access panel. I installed an access panel to be able to get to the electronics inside. The screw attached to a small hole I drilled in the ear piece where normally just a short screw would be. The back piece is just installed with velcro.

Hey dude, how did your rondo come out white? I thought it dried pinkish. Is that what it looks like when it dries?

It's not really white, it may just look that way in the pics, but it's not terribly pink either. It may have been because I didn't put a lot of the hardener cream in. I wanted to have a good amount of time to work with it before it started hardening up, so I went a little easy on the hardeners. It's nice and strong though. I had glassed it before, but I can tell there's significantly more strength to it now after rondoing it.

Double post, but there's an update. I've pepped, resined and rondoed the center stomache plate and partially rondoed the main chest piece. Both parts are Nightshade's latest files. The ring on the center stomache plate is a modification of the ring on Skullcandygirl's original Weta stomache plate. I re-unfolded it and pepped only the ring and cut it down to about half the thickness. I then filled it with resin, let it cure and cut the horizontal groove out with my dremel. I decided to rondo the main chest piece in two stages because the last time I attempted to glass the entire piece, it sagged and flattened out really badly. This way, I can maintain the shape. Here's the progress pics so far...

DSC03868.jpg

DSC03871.jpg

DSC03872.jpg

DSC03869.jpg

DSC03870.jpg

Notice that the rondo is much more pinkish. I used a lot more hardener cream this time because I didn't need the extra work time. Rondo rules!! Thanks to Ben Streeper for introducing me to this method!

BTW, here's a sneek peek of another item I'm working on for this build...

DSC03867.jpg

Ha, man great job on that comm piece I love it! By the way, the only reason I didn't model that extra piece to it was I didn't want to make one that only fits one kind of ODST helmet... I figured it wouldn't be too difficult for people to make themselves out of cardboard or something and actually have it fit the helmet they used, because my ODST helmet is the Landfall version, unfortunately.

Oh, and damn fine work on that pistol, too!

Quick update. I got the center stomache plate pretty well finished. Added a little detail and some bolts, ready to attach. Here ya go...

DSC03873.jpg

DSC03874.jpg

It's not very pretty on the inside, but I guess it dosen't have to be.

DSC03875.jpg

Also, I'm nearly finished with the form for my visor...

DSC03876.jpg

I finally finished the main chest plate and decided to get the parts mounted. I know what you all may be thinking, it's awfully clean and the letters are nice and bright, not at all like the armor in the game. Well, to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the beat up look. I know it may look like I've never seen action, but I prefer a clean look. I did underlay the main color with silver, and over time it will get its share of scrapes and what-not, so eventually it will show some wear.

DSC03877.jpg

DSC03879.jpg

DSC03880.jpg

Here's a closeup of one of the buckle pieces. They're made from sheet styrene and thin welding wire. Also, you may be able to see that the wording (Buck, UNSC and MK117) are actually white paint that was masked off during the main color coating and the logos (the UNSC logo and Buck's rank insignia) were printed and glued on. I tried to make masks of the logos, but it proved to be too difficult (or I was just too lazy, one or the other).

DSC03878.jpg

Here's a few pictures showing how the parts are mounted. The screws you've seen on the front of the chest piece and stomache piece are functional, they go through the armor and attach to this piece, which is a scavanged backpack. Specifically the part of the backpack that sits up against your back. The buckle pieces are attached to some built-up bondo I applied.

DSC03881.jpg

DSC03882.jpg

And here's the part I'm getting pretty excited about, the form for my visor. It just needs a little smoothing out in a few places, then I can get it ready for the vacuum table (which I have yet to build).

DSC03883.jpg

DSC03884.jpg

DSC03885.jpg

Next I'll work on the side stomache plates, the belt buckle and the groin plate. I'll work on those all at once so I can get the entire front out of the way and start focusing on the backplate.

Dude this is legit. I was gonna make a custom ODST helmet for my self and I was planning on adding the comm piece. Thanks for posting this, now I have an example for mine :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back