Reach Emile Build *updates W/pics!*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boba Fett

Well, After about 6 months of being registered, 545 posts, and not a single build, I guess it's time I posted one. ;) I've wanted to do several projects, and my origional inclination was to build a Mk. VI with the perms to make the META from RvB. (he just looks so bad@$$) But, I'm 16, and I'm still 5'5" (AFTER a recent growth spurt) and I'm sure I'm going to be growing a lot more pretty soon. So, Not wanting an expensive mk. VI suit thrown out the window in a year because I'm just too tall to wear it, I settled on doing either a MK. V or WETA ODST. Since the current MK. V is soo low detail (And I'm a perfectionist) The WETA seemed to be the best choice. At the moment, I'm pepping the ODST torso piece. I went to the dollar store, and found packages of 10 foamies for, well, you know. I'm planning on using those for the soft armor parts, so they can flex. And yes, I'll pain them. It would be sickening to see an odst outfitted in pink, red, yellow and blue... :eek I also found foam core board there for a 20X30 size. It's 5mm thick, and super cheap. I've printed out Bevbor's sliced BR and have begun laying down slices. From my calculations, the slices on his BR should be 3.25 mm thick each. I'll be throwing each slice between 2 pieces of wood, then stacking my personal library on top. That should compress it by about 2mm. I only have 1 slice so far, but leet me know what you think of it. And yes, it's a bit overscale for someone of my height, but I'm planning on spending a lot of time on this thing so it'll last me a good long while. Now the challenge is finding out how to seal the foam for resining... anyway, hope the pics work! (Photobucket was spazzing out on me so I opened them in IE. Let me know if you can't see them, I'll host them on 4-shared or something.)

EDIT: yeah, it'd be good if I actually included the pics :p

EDIT 2, here they are...

S6304626.jpg

S6304624.jpg

Thanks for the compliment. Yeah, the first time I tried to cut out a slice, I used white glue to glue the paper to the foam... disaster. Glue sticks work a LOT better. ;) I have to go somewhere tonight, So I'll ave more progress tomorrow afternoon.

Boba Fett said:
Since the current MK. V is soo low detail (And I'm a perfectionist)

This is where you start learning Blender to model it yourself. :lol

Gun looks good so far, but why post this thread in the Noob section? You're allowed in the other forum parts, aren't you? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
AceHigh said:
This is where you start learning Blender to model it yourself. :lol

Gun looks good so far, but why post this thread in the Noob section? You're allowed in the other forum parts, aren't you? ;)

Yeah, But I've been busy trying to model Republic commando pep files... That IS on my to-do list. Especially since the perfect referance picture is available.

And yeah, I meant to post it in the pep and cardboard section, but I accidentally put it here. Who cares though, I'm still a noob at making stuff, I just got to be a vet cause I post waaaaay too much... ;)

EDIT: ok, got updates. I'm actually going to be changing the process of my BR, because the Foam board refuses to be squished. If the slice isn't about 3mm, it'll be way too wide, and the best I can shave it down to is 4mm... I'll have my dad try to run it over with the car later, but I don't know if that'll work... it'll be cool anyway. Here's a current pic.

S6304627.jpg

I'm now trying to pep the BR, but use foam board on the inside to make it rigid. So for all practical purposes, nothing's really changed, but it's an update... I'll be gone this weekend, Fri-mon for a plastic model show in Cali. I've been working my shebs off to get homework done ahead of time, so The BR will take a few delays. More pepping on the Torso piece, but not much has improved. 1 question though, does resin eat through foamies? And will resin eat through foam-core board?

Havn't been able to update this due to numerous papers going on at once (got 1.5 to finish... by tuesday morn. :p) I've slowly been re-doing the BR. What happened is the paper bent, and my BR looks droopy at the front end... :eek So, Been making templates, CAREFULLY this time... attacking pep pieces to postterboard, then poking holes with a tack at each edge (vert) Poke that into my material, and viola! tested it out, and works like a charm. Also fully pepped the torso piece, but no pics because my camera is fresh outta batteries. I HATE how fast digitals go through batteries... And since I'm insane, I'm adding 1 project to this. The ever-popular Emile. Posible now that rundown released all those beautiful files... I'm planning on molding armor (the cheap way, caulk molds) except for the chest, and maybe the helmet. Should be good for 1-2 pulls. Or might just stick with traditional methods... Sides, I'll grow out of them anyway soon, so why spend $500? 1 question though, I know on the top part of emile's shoulder's, it's different. But on the bottom, near the ab plate, he seems to have a belt with a million 'nades. now, anyone think that if I use the standard Rundown Chest, mod it a little, and replace the Ab plate with a belt of some sort, think it'll work? The nades should hide a lot, but just wondering. and a FINAL question, does anyone know of a decent tut on how to model gentle curves? Like in Blender? I'vve been going crazy trying to model the Republic commando chest piece, but the curves are real sudden, or just don't work right. Thanks.

YE GODS! TRIPLE POST! But, this has pics!

I'm going to scrap the WETA project for now, because looking at it, Reach is so much better, And if I'm going to spend a hundred-3 hundred bucks, might as wel make it bad-@$$ So, the most Bad-@$$ Reach spartan of them all... Emile!

S6304706.jpg

S6304705.jpg

S6304704.jpg

S6304703.jpg

I filled the inside with durham's water putty, a very cheap, stron material. It WILL crack if dropped, but I'm not planning on wearing this anyway, to make this a reality, I almost HAVE to mold this. So, I have a lot of detailing work to do, holes to be drilled, bondo work, etc. I plan on casting the visor in that smooth-on clear resin. If I polish it out smooth, you should be able to see out the front. It will require Redshirt's painted polarization method, but that's the only way to get the skull and the detailin there, as I doubt my vac-former is capable of handling it. (I wouldn;t even call it a real vac-former.) I am also pepping the torso, but my currect version is rather small on me... Will post pics of that when it;s the right size. And I will not mold all the pieces, just the helmet, and maybe the shins. Not sure. The 'nades will have to be molded thoush. All armor is to be done with smooth-cast 300 for hardenign, since my mom yelled at me for using the fiberglass resin you see on the helmet. ah well... Let em know what you think! If the helmet is good, and I make a good mold, I will probably do a short run on it. But still have to make a decent product first...

Very nice work, first emile build that I have seen this far along. That visor idea is a good one. I hope everything works out for you!

RONDO! I'll get pics in a few minutes... It's still drying. I only did the front as of right now, but the back part will get a coating. Yeah, I think the clear smooth-o will work, but you need to polish it super-smoothon the inside, so there are no runs. Otherwise, it'll look like it got rained on. If worst comes to worst, I can cast a vac-forming buck from the mold so it'll be fine.

@Pumpikn head, file is here. http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24440&st=0&p=393350&fromsearch=1&#entry393350 If you want, I can send my unfold, as I smoothed it out, and made it easier to build (in my opinion)

hilarious! My vac-former is almost done, I used the method that dungbeetle suggested, using a large bucket, and a pizza pan over the top. I'm not using it to pull complex shapes, only visors. and maybe a few plastic models I may be making masters for in the future... vac-formedkits are hard, but totally fun. LOTS of scratchbuilding. Once it's done, I'll post pics of it. And yes, I hope to get it as game-accurate as possible with available referances. The concept art will be my main reference, but I'll be checking out other pics from the trailers. I do want to make a DMR, but I have no clue how long it's supposed to be. Anyone know? And I actually plan to build an entire armory over time... will take me several years, but I want to build 1 of each weapon in the halo games (excluding books) Crazy? yes, but hey, I AM crazy. ;)

EDIT: pics

S6304710.jpg

S6304709.jpg

S6304708.jpg

S6304707.jpg

I'm done with rondo, the rest will be done straight bondo. There are some rough spots, and it is rather thick, but that's cause I plan on doing a LOT of sanding. I essentially want to sculpt this helmet in bondo. You'll notice in several spots, the rondo filled in areas. I'm going to grind that out and make it smooth. Let me know what ya think!

oh, and a nice, damp day in wisconsin, ya der hey! ;)

Sniperbaas392 said:
Fantastic work! How authentic do you plan on making Emile's helm? ;)

facepalm2-1.png

http://hawtymcbloggy.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/facepalm2-1.png?w=600

I'm liking the BR so far. Do you intend to turn it into a DMR for reach or stick with the one weapon to rule them all?

Did you build your own vacu-former? (If you did and it works out, would you care to post pics of the assembly?)

Cheers!

Can't wait to see how the rest of this turns out!

.......................................................................................................................................lololololololololololollililililialialililiololiliolilioilililioilioililoiololololololol

thats great. i had wondered how he saw out of that thing

nice job on the helmet so far, keep it up

looks great so far. I would totally agree with you one the sanding. I'd like to recommend something to you. It's basically bondo, but it sands much nicer and is easier to apply as a body filler. You can find it at the advance auto parts.rube used it on his odst helmet. I saw it and gave it a try. it works great.

dynatron dyna-delite

For the DMR, I would suggest contacting Xtreme tactics 101. He should be able to tell you about some basic info about it. Good luck on your build!

The DMR I'm making is drying in the basement as I type this. I made it the same length as the BR and it's turning out great, but there are a ton of fiddly details you have to look out for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back