Schizophrenicmc's Odst Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.

SchizophrenicMC

Completed ODST on Page 4

So, I've been working on and off on an ODST since I heard about the site, some years ago... Then, I started again when Landfall came out... Well, even awhile after that, I had to start again, because every time before I lazed out while pepping the first piece, each respective try...

Well, in October, I decided to set myself to making a set, and not giving up this time. So, here I stand, before you.

My primary purpose for this costume is to have it by September, for the Halo Reach release event at the local GameStop.

Progress:

Gotta Update my Progress Picture. Progress 2.0 Will be MUCH better.

Parts I'm using:

helmetAlpha.png

chestAlpha.png
SeanShoulders.png

SeanBelly.png
forearmAlpha.png

beltAlpha.png

SeanShins.png

torsoAlpha.png

Bonus to me if I get the weapons done in time:

br55Alpha.png

And, now, the all-important pics (Because it DID happen):

04251927a.jpg

My helmet, thus far. That's Foam Backer Rod in the back, my temporary solution for fitting, right now.

04251927c.jpg

Note all the bondo work I still have to do...

04251924.jpg

My original chest plate

Reasons I've started a new one:

04251925.jpg

04251925a.jpg

04251926.jpg

So, yeah. Post comments, critiques, tips, tricks, and what have you. Thanks for reading the thread.

Hey, cool, you're using my gauntlets! Glad to see they're gonna end up in a suit as good as this one, you have some pretty mad pepping skills. Keep going on this one, I'll be watching this thread.

Holy ODST!

Man another odst on the rise, i too can say that i miscalculated my time, well sortof, but its really early enough for me. But YOU CAN MAKE IT!

"NEVER GIVE UP! TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS!"

Spraynoob

:D

Ay, I will in fact post in here. ;) Might I add, you know too much!

By the way, nice progress on the suit, bro. Better bring your helment over here once you have everything installed and finished.

Update:

Ah, hell, I feel stupid. I just realized the hole on the neck guard isn't supposed to be big enough to fit over my head. I scrapped 4 rescaled versions before I realized it's supposed to come apart, then reconnect like a necklace... So, now, I have to refigure my math for my scale, reprint that part (Did I mention I've wasted 20 pages on that bit, alone?), and rebuild it...

So, while I recover from the sickness that building the same part over and over gives you, I'mma work on mah backpack and chestplate... And I do hope my SB parts get here soon...

A bit of progress, though:

04271636.jpg

Backpack, thus far.

04271637a.jpg

This stack of 26 pages is to the backpack, alone, and that's minus the two I've already cut and pasted.

04271637.jpg

All of that is the wasted backplate bits... Sans the Reese's, of course.

OBLIGATORY CROTCH INCOMPLETE HELMET SHOT:

04271640.jpg

And, yes, my hair is that long. Ask Soap.

Anyway, thanks for keeping up with this. Nothin' too special, but there's always room for more ODSTs, right?

Till next time, stay green, troopers.

This is kind of a bump. That being said, it's more of an update...

So, I've put a small dent in the backpack.... This mother is huge. Like yours.

04291623a.jpg

Also, I'm near completing my Torso plate (Finally, dammit...)

04291623.jpg

I guess when I've got that done, I'll try and squeeze the Chestplate into a day and glass all day Saturday. Wish my respirator luck; the filter's slowly clogging. (By my math, it should last another glassing or 2)

gakkengod said:
Dr. Pepper IS RETARDED BOSS!!!!

Dude, you just said that to a Texan. On a forum full of Texans. I'd suggest you hide, boy.

(Unless the glue fumes are getting to me, and you meant that in a good way >_<)

In any case, I don't drink Dr Pepper much. I'm usually more for the Dew can on the other side.

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE:

Okey-dokey, people, I have an update. Sorry for my absence, lately, as I've had state standardized testing and various home situations going on.

Most importantly in this update, I've decided that I'm not gonna be able to complete the armor by A-kon, which gives me time to make it look better than I could have under that crunch. Looks like AnimeFest is going to be its debut convention. Oh well.

Nextly, I got my stuff from Sean Bradley, and I must say, damn. This stuff is quality -blam!-. Commendations to Sean Bradley for his excellent work.

So, pics, then there's an updated progress pic in the first post. (Which basically removes the thighs and shoulders from the Sean Bradley list, because I'm no longer under a crunch where I need expensive and detail-lacking (Sorry, Sean, but it's an inherent part of the vacu-forming process. Still great stuff, though.) vacu-formed PS parts)

On that note, I won't have pics of the stuff from Sean. He has better pics in his thread. Also, you can PM him about it for details.

05082351.jpg

Side view, thus far, of my over-the-shoulder part of my torso

05082351a.jpg

The same part, a different angle

05082352.jpg

New chest plate, crafted in 2 hours, at school, after taking aforementioned standardized test (which I completed in half an hour... Can you say too easy?)

05082352a.jpg

Backpack, to date, since I'm more focused on other things

05030630.jpg

Side profile of the M6SOCOM I'm making. Anyone see how massive that thing is? It could be a rifle, in its own right!

05082352b.jpg

Unfortunately, it's warped as -blam!-

05082353.jpg

And the handle doesn't fit to the receiver as well as it should

05082353a.jpg

Did I mention it was warped?

05082350.jpg

Shiny Sean Bradley Visor is shiny

05082354.jpg

And I bleached my hair. It burned. A lot.

gakkengod said:
of course its a good thing... wait, why do i have a negative mark???

And my apologies, Gakken, I mistook your comment. I think what happened with the negative mark was I was trying to hit reply, but hit -1 instead... Sorry... I didn't mean it...

The up close shot looked like it was a painfull fit but the distant photograph looks a lot more scale. Oh and the bleached hair coming out of the helmet gives you a Sweedish death metal ODST soldier appearence, You should keep an eye on your scalp if the bleach gave off a severe burning reaction.

what tint did you go with.... my odst is going to have a 5 percent with an infared camera in the helm, good idea or bad idea? also no biggie on the negative mark.

Linehaler said:
The up close shot looked like it was a painfull fit but the distant photograph looks a lot more scale. Oh and the bleached hair coming out of the helmet gives you a Sweedish death metal ODST soldier appearence, You should keep an eye on your scalp if the bleach gave off a severe burning reaction.

My scalp is fine now. Luckily, I had a thick layer of dandruff between the bleach and my skin. (I have a condition...)

I'd totally run with the death metal thing, but I'm not gonna get this done by A-kon, so I'm just gonna cut my hair in June and work on the armor this summer, for AnimeFest and Reach's release.

gakkengod said:
what tint did you go with.... my odst is going to have a 5 percent with an infared camera in the helm, good idea or bad idea? also no biggie on the negative mark.

You'd have to ask one Sean Bradley. I bought his deep blue visor. Looks too light when you first get it, but damn, it darkens well with your head behind it. Also, it's very see-through from the inside.

As for the camera, I've decided that now that I have more time, I'll make the sniper goggles and put a digital camera in the lens bit, so I can flip the goggles down and roll with that. I was thinking of wiring night vision into the smaller doodad on that side, but I lack the skills and patience to run that to the camera's display. Maybe a later version.

Update:

So, I've made slow progress on my backpack, and that's about it. I now have most of the middle section pepped.

05161314.jpg

A wild crack appears!

05161317.jpg

I choose you, Bondo-brand fiberglass and resin!

Bondo-brand fiberglass and resin used Bond!

It's not very effective...

So, yeah, a crack has made its way into my helmet... And now, I need even more glass to hold it together... My advice to anyone who has yet to build a helmet, REALLY reinforce the bottom section.

In the meantime, I've been at work on this to tide me over, since I've been sick of pepakura lately, and the weather has not been conducive to glassing or painting, and my respirator's getting to need new filters:

05161314a.jpg

This time, I really have updated the progress pic.

Well, I'm back to work on the armor. Got some new stuff, broke some old stuff, and am redoing some existing stuff.

For starters, my helmet. I had to pull a quickie to get it ready for A-kon, and skipped a lot of Bondo work, and painted it kinda bad. So, I'm sanding the paint and redoing it. Bondo's gonna have to stay as-is. Oh well. Doesn't look too bad. At least it's not polygons.

06090035.jpg

Front
06090035a.jpg

Side
06090036.jpg

PARTY!

Currently:
07231540.jpg

Also, I pepped a new torso plate (Working on getting the last 7 pieces glued)
07231611.jpg

Shoulder:
07231543.jpg

Thigh:
07231544.jpg

Chestplate warped to hell after I tried glassing it:
07231542.jpg

I've also expanded my fan setup to add a 50mm fan to the 2 existing 40mm ones. This also means I've had to wire a 4th battery in. So, I've pulled the wiring from the helmet and I'm gonna solder it as soon as I find my iron.
07231541.jpg

And my grandma thought of a great way to prevent so much warp, which I'll be trying when it dries out. You may have seen it in a photo, here.

I may have more pics tonight, depending on the rain.

Well, I've repainted my helmet and it looks better than ever. Been working on Sean Bradley's pieces he sent my way, as well. Rondo'd most of the stuff I plan on. Having a slight issue scaling my forearms, and the chestplate keeps coming out wide (I plan on manually inputting a width for it), and fiberglass is, as always, a -blam!-.

But, I figure pics are better.

Helmet:
SDC10778.jpg

SDC10785.jpg

(Notice the respirator. For safety)

SDC10784.jpg

SDC10783.jpg

Torso, pepped:
SDC10786.jpg

SB Parts, rondo'd, and most of the right shoulder glassed:
SDC10787.jpg

Still trying to find my soldering iron. I have until September, so every minute is crunch.

First I beat you, My F3 Chest had 42 Pages lol. Seconded,

Loler.png

(Edit:Wait, Spy from TF2 doesn't have a hat...)
I also have to put those over priced 1" CPU fans in my helmet(12$ EACH!! WTH)

Looking good so far!;)

Looks great! I just had to dig up your thread. :p
Hopefully mine will be as good as yours.
Hopefully, it'll be even better! There was a lot more I could have done with this, but I was too overwhelmed by the HD files. (Except the thighs, which are HD, modded down to Medium def :p)
First I beat you, My F3 Chest had 42 Pages lol. Seconded,

(Edit:Wait, Spy from TF2 doesn't have a hat...)
I also have to put those over priced 1" CPU fans in my helmet(12$ EACH!! WTH)

Looking good so far!;)
Well, -blam!- that's a lot of pages for one part.

I ended up with 2 40mm fans and a 50 on top. $6 apiece at Fry's Electronics.

I'll have new pics up tomorrow, I guess. Got a batch of resin on some glass curing in the garage right now, so when it's all set, I'll go back out, drag everything in, and take pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back