The Functions Of Blender [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The day I read that a new section would be creating for 3D modeling, I started to make this tutorial. It tells the function of almost every key and number on the keyboard (and numpad). I also put in a description of each function.

If there is a problem with anything in it (such as a typo or inaccurate description), or any of you feel that something needs to be added, I will go back and fix it in MS Word, then release an updated .pdf of it.

Tutorial last updated: 30 April 2010

http://www.4shared.com/document/vJ79AYPG/Blender_Tutorial_by_Chevysrule.html

*Moderators: If this type of tutorial (or topic) is not allowed, feel free to lock up this thread or delete it (but please explain what rule(s) I broke beforehand).*

Not trying to be rude, but you need to structure the tutorial better and make sure that you get all the relevant facts correct and actually in the tutorial. As a newb, I wouldn't be able to follow any logical learning curve, and a lot of very basic functions are left out (for instance, no advice on how to zoom or pan, or what the space button does). If you want to target newbs you need to think like a newb. You need to plot down every function, even those that are automatic for you. As a not-too-newb, I would have a hard time finding the information I was after as there is no apparent structure or even a table of contents. The tutorial jumps from area to area without any apparent logical thread to follow. Try to group things together in a more logical fashion and the tutorial will become much better.

Templar said:
Very nicely done, Chevysrule. This is a great intro for anyone wanting to try Blender. Keep up the awesome work!

Thank you, I sure will try to keep it up.

AceHigh said:
Not trying to be rude, but you need to structure the tutorial better and make sure that you get all the relevant facts correct and actually in the tutorial. As a newb, I wouldn't be able to follow any logical learning curve, and a lot of very basic functions are left out (for instance, no advice on how to zoom or pan, or what the space button does). If you want to target newbs you need to think like a newb. You need to plot down every function, even those that are automatic for you. As a not-too-newb, I would have a hard time finding the information I was after as there is no apparent structure or even a table of contents. The tutorial jumps from area to area without any apparent logical thread to follow. Try to group things together in a more logical fashion and the tutorial will become much better.

No offense taken. I understand what you mean completely. I will try to update it this weekend (I have an essay to write tomorrow, so I can't work on this until Friday.), and I will fix as many of the issues you stated as I can. Thank you for bringing all of that to my attention as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice job so far! Like Ace said, it needs a little bit of structuring work, so the hasty noobs don't start fretting, but it's otherwise a good tutorial!

BTW: Was that Emile's helm in the background :D

Cheers!

Looks great also for people that are trying to get into blender but are more visual learner try going to blendercookie.com it has really in depth tutorials just like the OPs

Sniperbaas392 said:
Very nice job so far! Like Ace said, it needs a little bit of structuring work, so the hasty noobs don't start fretting, but it's otherwise a good tutorial!

BTW: Was that Emile's helm in the background :D

Cheers!

Thank you. And yes, Emile's helm is in one of the pictures. Also pictured are a Longsword and the Reach Assault Rifle.

Iren00 said:
woot thanxs! im still trying to figure it all out so this will help out alot

You're welcome. Glad I could help you.

Spartan 051 said:
Looks great also for people that are trying to get into blender but are more visual learner try going to blendercookie.com it has really in depth tutorials just like the OPs

Don't forget the Noob to Pro Wikibook. That is one of the best tutorials out there in my opinion.

My essay due date got extended, so I am going to have time today to start restructuring and properly ordering everything, and am about to add in a little more information.

EDIT: Everything is done and ready for an update, but I have one thing left before I can release it. I have to detail all the functions of the Spacebar. Other than that, everything else is finalized for the first update.

EDIT #2: If anyone has any recommendations or problems with the tutorial, please tell me today or Friday, so I can fix it up before release number 2. Thank you.

Dr. KriSpY said:
FINALLY I CAN USE BLENDER WITHOUT SCREWING UP!!! (I only use blender for the game engine)

Glad I could help you!

Tutorial updated in the first post! The update is much improved from the first release. I have added in a table of contents, logical and easier-to-follow order of information, and more information on things that were left out from the first tutorial.

Is there a way in blender to make a surface flat?

I want to flatten some surfaces on a mask

to be more specific I want them to flatten according to selected points?

Dude you need to stop necro posting! You shouldn't post a post if the thread has been inactive for over a month.
If you want to you can just report him for it. Eventually consistent necro posting could get him banned or at least a referral. However I think it is alright in this thread to necro post though since there is no more progress that really can be made in my tutorial to post something anytime as long as they have something constructive like a question about it or if I messed up somewhere in it, they can just ask and since I'm still on the site I could help them out here.

And MikelCaboose, this is the functions of Blender, not how to work Blender. You read it to know what you can do with it and acquire a basic entry to 3D modeling, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back