Bondo Sanding Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

p0g1

Jr Member
which tool are best for sanding bond? also how to you get into the corners and make sharp points? right now i'm using a dremel with the sanding rod, grinding tool, finishing sander but i still cant get the angles right. can anyone help? your advice is much appreciated

If you want to create sharp lines, try using double sided tape to create the negative for your recessed areas. Bondo up to the line, and then sand down to the tape. This will give you consistent depth and a sharp edge once you have removed the tape. You can see it done in my Reach LT wip. It works really well. I find a flat file is also helpful as is an exacto knife. As far as the actual sanding, a palm/mouse sander is going to be your greatest friend. Get a nice variety of grits, from 60 on down to 200. I generally start at 60 or 80, depending on how much I have to work it down. Then go from 80 to 100, to 120, to 150, and then to 200 or 220. That will get things nice and smooth. I also use sanding blocks and straight sandpaper, depending on the curves, whether convex or concave. So start by building your basic curves with the palm sander, and use a block and straight paper to smooth you small high spots. This will get you a nice, beautiful smooth part.

Ive got an Oscillating multi-tool that works great for sanding. It's got a triangular head, so it's easy to get into tight corners. it also has a razor head, so heavy removal is easy as well.

it was only $40 at Harbor Freight tools- V

i heard that a mouse sander is too powerful and it takes off too much material? and end up putting more bondo back on? what do you say?

Iron Mang said:
i heard that a mouse sander is too powerful and it takes off too much material? and end up putting more bondo back on? what do you say?

I never had an issue with using a mouse sander, if fact most of my helmet work was smoothed with one. 3d sanders are great too, Craftsman use to make a 3-headed mini orbital sander that works great on rounded areas, like helmet curves and chest plate work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a few tips for you. When the bondo is setting up there is a period in which it is very 'sculptable'. You can use an old knife and shave it down or cut sharp edges into the bondo. You can also use a rasp during this time and smooth out uneven areas quickly without 20 hours of sanding. You have to be careful and not push to hard with the rasp or you can make giant scratches. Make sure to clean your tools or your rasp will clog up. In fact when working with bondo it is always a good idea to keep all your tools clean in order to keep the bondo smooth. While vibrating sanders are good the best one I have found is the Dremel “Multi-Max” with this tool nothing is impossible. Good luck.

Gremlin117 said:
Black & Decker Mouse Detail Sander, or the like. Once you get one you wont know how you lived without it. :)

right on! just got a mouse sander works great thanks for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back