New Hd Iron Man Mk V Suitcase Helmet Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubean33

So i've been tinkering with this one for a while now, and im happy to say its in the unfolding stage right now. I took Sharkheads new Iron Man file that was a mash-up of his and Dungbeetles helmets, gathered some reference pictures and set out to create an even more accurate helmet. I have to say i couldn't have done this without the base model created by both these guys.

Not being very skilled with body filler (mostly just don't have the patience), i modified it to include nearly all the grooves and ridges as seen in the movie helmet aside from the screws and under chin detailing.

List of what i modified/added:

- forehead vent now is indented rather than a straight plane

- the two grooves on top

- the groove that starts at one temple, goes to the back and around to the other temple

- grove in the sides of the face mask

- chin groove separating the upper and lower halves of chin

- more accurate ear pieces

- more accurate trapezoid indents in the back. i have yet to see ones close enough to my liking, so i made my own :) Close references of the sideshow bust were used for those

- an eye piece that more or less fits in the eye sockets. We'll see how peppable it is

- narrower more slanted brow that makes it look more aggressive and mean.

- cleaned up the mesh a bit and combined vertices that needed it.

I've downloaded just about every iron man helmet file thats been on this site and any others i've been able to find. I don't wanna toot my own horn here too much, but i feel that this is the most accurate representation of the movie helmet in a pep file you'll find. At least for now. I know agbates was going to start a super HD iron man for CNC purposes but that hasn't really taken off yet.

Here are some pictures of Version 2.1 and the new Mark V Suitcase Suit Helmet

Helmets.png

Helmets2.png

Helmets3.png

Helmets4.png

EDIT

- Ian

The current Iron Man Helmet Version 2.1 with some cleaned up parts of the model. Eye pieces and jaw detailing should be a bit easier. Here!

The NEW Mk V Suitcase Suit Helmet is ready for download Here

2.1 Faceplate WILL be compatible with the Mk V as long as the scaling is the same. Some minor adjustments may need to be made to the 2.1 to fit the Mk V.

NOTE MAC USERS - Quakevirus was so kind as to convert the Mark V helmet into a PDF for you. Download it Here

Its looking good man, i appreasiate your honesty for giving credit. This hobby of ours in making this stuff is nothing short of art through modeling unfolding and even crafting, and i think that your modification is looking pretty good.

Thanks guys i appreciate that. I think this stuff can be an art form too. Look at what finhead has done and what stealth is doing. Those are beautiful pieces of work!

Stefano -

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n78BpvaX9N8[/media]

le-yo-ra said:
wow ,this is gonna be great...keep us posted... :D

For sure! in fact, im doing one of those like with war machine where i'd say ill have it posted tomorrow, then end up posting it that night. It looks like this will be up an 30 mins to an hour

Last edited by a moderator:
dubean33 said:
For sure! in fact, im doing one of those like with war machine where i'd say ill have it posted tomorrow, then end up posting it that night. It looks like this will be up an 30 mins to an hour

if you do what you did just now with a war machine helmet. I will be your friend...again

dubean33 said:
Thats next :)

probably a few days at least for that though. I wish i had JUICE's file to use for that too

you should ask him, he said he was half way done, so I'm assuming he meant the front half

he's busy playing Reach beta. I'm sure hed be more than willing to let you take over

not a bad idea! i'll send him a pm in a bit when im done unfolding the IM helmet. this thing sure won't be "easy" to put together. lots of intricate little parts oh well! :p

Oh man...looks like I'll be pepping a 4th helmet! Well done on this one dubean, the accuracy is fantastic!

Having said that...I do have ONE critique...and it's the eyes. You may disagree with me here, but, they're a little too small. They need to be a bit longer in toward the middle, lessening the gap between the eyes. IMO, the eyes on the dungbeatle/samuray helm were pretty much spot on.

The eyes are also layered, if it were me pepping the file, I'd make the outer layer (face-plate) only, and add the additional inner layers afterward (The black rim(s) on the inside). I'm not sure if you've done this or not but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

Eye layering:

iron-man-poster2-big.jpg

Otherwise probably the most accurate Iron Man helm here, thanks much!

no i totally agree Jordy. I was messing with the bridge between the eyes and forgot to move it back. I'm kinda pissed now since i just spend like an hour and a half unfolding it haha. Its a really simple fix while you're cutting it out though. The only thing wrong with the bridge is a vertice in each corner makes a 90 degree angle rather than a slight sloped angle. Otherwise they're the closest i've seen.

About the inner eye, there is an eye piece included (it will be hard to pep, i might have to model a new one) that has the layers you're talking about

As for the dungbeetle-samuray helmet, i've always felt the eyes on DB's helmet were too large. His model was based off a 3d laser scan of a toy seen here which is still a very good model. Many of the dimensions for the helmet don't line up as close as i'd like so i took the liberty of making one i like.

6.gif

Sharkhead based his off the sideshow bust which is said to be taken from the molds from the real helmet but i really don't think thats ACTUALLY the case. Still i think the sideshow is the most accurate model aside from the prop itself.

anyway, the helmet is done.

enjoy, build, take pictures. :)

Very nice, very very nice. One question, I didn't see any mentioning of it, but is the visor detachable, like can it slide up like i does in the movie?

dubean33 said:
no i totally agree Jordy. I was messing with the bridge between the eyes and forgot to move it back. I'm kinda pissed now since i just spend like an hour and a half unfolding it haha. Its a really simple fix while you're cutting it out though. The only thing wrong with the bridge is a vertice in each corner makes a 90 degree angle rather than a slight sloped angle. Otherwise they're the closest i've seen.

Haha daaammn, that sucks man... I also noticed the corner of the eyes thing too, but its no biggie.

dubean33 said:
About the inner eye, there is an eye piece included (it will be hard to pep, i might have to model a new one) that has the layers you're talking about

Ah, this should be interesting!

dubean33 said:
As for the dungbeetle-samuray helmet, i've always felt the eyes on DB's helmet were too large. His model was based off a 3d laser scan of a toy seen here which is still a very good model. Many of the dimensions for the helmet don't line up as close as i'd like so i took the liberty of making one i like.

I also thought they might be a tiny bit too large, but its better they're too large then too small when it comes to the bondo. Adding a thin layer of bondo around the inside wall of the eyes automatically makes them smaller, so its an easy fix. I think of my peped pieces as only 'armatures', I'm pretty handy with sculpting so as long as the proportions are there with all the pieces in the right places, minor details aren't really a worry for me.

dubean33 said:
Sharkhead based his off the sideshow bust which is said to be taken from the molds from the real helmet but i really don't think thats ACTUALLY the case. Still i think the sideshow is the most accurate model aside from the prop itself.

Apparently it IS taken from the same moulds as the films.

From the website: "Iron Man has been captured in 1:1 scale in his unique powered armor, taken directly from the molds used to create the film costume."

The helm I'm making now is a combination of DB/samuray's and sharkhead's, basically I'm using Sharkheads head and jaw (dung/sams is too big it, really does look like Storm Trooper version of Iron Man), with dung/sam's face plate. I have no idea if these two will fit together smoothly, if it doesn't I'll either mod it, or use your model. I'm so sick of making helmets now...lol. Hopefully after making yours I wont have a reason to pep any others :)

Hope those little details aren't a pain in the arse... looks amazing though. Can't wait to get my hands on it to begin pepping.

Whomever unfolds.. pleaes try and keep it as smooth a fold as possible.

And Dub... will you have the chin, faceplate and crown separate? I sure hope so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back