Question For All The Pepakura Iron Man Builders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honus

So I'm working on some new arc reactors and planning for kits and new tutorials. My idea is that I would have different reactors for wearing on your chest (no armor) and then other reactors for using in armor. The reason for this is that when it's on your chest you're limited in terms of light output due to thickness and heat. In an armor application it could be a whole lot brighter and a bit deeper as well.

My question is- is there a standard diameter that everyone has settled on for the Pepakura armor? I figure a reactor worn on your chest would be about 3.75" diameter. Will that work for everyone's armor as well?

I'm also looking into the War Machine animatronic cannon mechanism so if anyone has some overall dimensions (or files) for that it would allow me to design the turret mechanism and get up a tutorial asap.

Thanks!

The pep arc reactor in the iron man part location thread is 3 inches in diameter... i dont know if thats accurate, but it looks right on me though...

old school dude said:
I'm working on the chest piece as we speak, so I dont know yet but how much are you looking to sell them for?

Don't know yet but I imagine a complete kit will be around $150 or so, depending on reactor version. I don't think it'll be more than that but you never know...

Last edited by a moderator:
charlieiscool12 said:
The pep arc reactor in the iron man part location thread is 3 inches in diameter... i dont know if thats accurate, but it looks right on me though...

That definitely looks small to me if you're wanting movie size- have a look here:

I'm almost the exact same size as Robert Downey and 3" diameter looks pretty small and my 4" reactors look just a bit big- I probably wouldn't go any smaller than 3.5" OD. Now the opening in the armor my be smaller than the chest mounted reactor so that's something to consider.

On the Hero physical suit the RT chest mountlarger then the chest sizing, it only goes from inside of the outer rim to outer rim.

I dug out my HT 1/6 scale figure (a very good scale replica of the physical suit) and the RT measures 1.0cm while the actual Arc from rim to rim is 1.1cm

Fox w said:
On the Hero physical suit the RT chest mountlarger then the chest sizing, it only goes from inside of the outer rim to outer rim.

I dug out my HT 1/6 scale figure (a very good scale replica of the physical suit) and the RT measures 1.0cm while the actual Arc from rim to rim is 1.1cm

So what is the 1/6 scale OD of the armor opening?

Sorry Honus, not sure i follow you, the "OD"? mind being bit more specific, i'll gladly measure it, just want to know what you want measured.

(just incase, the RT is the "hole" in the armor, as it's actually a repulsor mounted over the arc reactor)

Fox w said:
Sorry Honus, not sure i follow you, the "OD"? mind being bit more specific, i'll gladly measure it, just want to know what you want measured.

(just incase, the RT is the "hole" in the armor, as it's actually a repulsor mounted over the arc reactor)

I should be more clear. What I want to know is what is the diameter of the hole in the chest armor.

AHHHh, I gave that .. the "hole" in the chest armor IS the chest RT which is 1.0cm diamater, so the hole is 1mm smaller then the actual arc reactor, or when you look at it, the hole is the size of the arc reactor MINUS the reactors outter ring housing.

if a cheepo diagram would help just ask Honus

i just checked what diameter the RT hole was on the Mark IV model I'm making was and it was almost exactly 3.5 inches.....and it seems just about right scale wise.....

robo3687 said:
i just checked what diameter the RT hole was on the Mark IV model I'm making was and it was almost exactly 3.5 inches.....and it seems just about right scale wise.....

Thanks- that makes sense to me. Thought I was losing my mind... I just kind of wanted to get an idea of what everyone was doing so when I make a kit or do a tutorial it's a usable size for everyone.

Fox w said:
AHHHh, I gave that .. the "hole" in the chest armor IS the chest RT which is 1.0cm diamater, so the hole is 1mm smaller then the actual arc reactor, or when you look at it, the hole is the size of the arc reactor MINUS the reactors outter ring housing.

if a cheepo diagram would help just ask Honus

Thanks- I understood what you were saying. I just didn't understand how it could be that small- I thought maybe something was getting lost in translation- LOL. If that's the measurement at 1/6 scale and it's supposed to be reasonably accurate that would mean the outer rim of the arc reactor is 66mm diameter (roughly 2.6in), and the RT is 60mm (2.36in) which is really small. I know the actual movie prop arc reactor is significantly larger than that.

The diameter of the chest RT slot varies depending on the scale used when pepping the chest section . I dunno if there can be a default diameter without modifying the slot which in the end might make the chest look inaccurate (depending on the persons taste if it mattered to them or not)

best choice would be when you make the template, make it to the hero suit size, but note that for use on a person the template should be scaled to match thier size.

IE if the RL arc from rim to rim is 6.6cm in diamiter on someone who's 5'9 (RDJs rough hieght) then for someone who's 6'4 the arc should be 7cm diamiter, or someones who's 5.4 should have a arc that's 6.3.

Just a case of doing the math. the scale figure is 12cm tall (6' aka 72cm in rl) once you know that it's pretty easy to scale. (thank you tactics for drilling that into my head)

Thanks for the help guys! So here's another question- how are people mounting the RT/reactor in their armor? Also, what do you think the maximum depth could be? I know for a reactor that is glued to your chest you want it to be as low profile as possible but for one that is mounted in the chest armor you could add a lot of detail by making it deeper.

Honus said:
Thanks for the help guys! So here's another question- how are people mounting the RT/reactor in their armor? Also, what do you think the maximum depth could be? I know for a reactor that is glued to your chest you want it to be as low profile as possible but for one that is mounted in the chest armor you could add a lot of detail by making it deeper.

no idea how its going to mount in my model...might make like a little socket for it or something....but i just checked and there's approximately 1 3/4 inches from the front surface of the chest to the chest of the wearer on mine

EDIT: just put the 'socket' into the model and it goes in exactly 1 1/2 inches here it is

027hh.jpg

Well mine, is being mounted into the under structure and the actual armor will rest over it. But again on the HT figure it's not IN the chest hole but sits flush with the backside.

Cool deal. 1.5" depth is plenty of space. Did some sketches today for a Mk III reactor and it'll easily fit even with a LiPo battery and charging circuit built into the base so it would be entirely self contained. I could even make it turn on using a remote fob but that would probably add $50 to the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back