Halo Reach -- Emile Helm -- By Chwbcc

Status
Not open for further replies.

chwbcc1

Here is my first attempt to model something from the Halo Universe. This is still a Work In Progress but I think it's far enough along to actually show off.

But I want to know what you think?

This model is based of an artist illustration I found on the net. I don't know the artist (didn't even try to research it) but I love the detail and thought it would be a pretty cool model and a good start for my first step into modeling Halo pieces. (NOTE: I have been recently told that this is a concept version of Emile's Helm, but I don't know if that is true so don't quote me on it)

Here is the reference I am sure you all have scene it:
Halo-Reach-Emile-Helm-Refereces.jpg

Here is what the most recent file looks like in Pepakura:

Emile_Helm_v4b.png

Here is an updated PDO. This one is free to use as you see fit. It still needs to be cut in Pepakura and scaled but I am sure some one with more pepakura talent than I can make it work.

(NOTE: There are pieces missing in the design like the ear circles. I left these out because there are many house hold items that are this size and shape that can easily be glued to the helm. Why pep circles when container lids come in all chapes and sizes? You will also notice that this is based of the concept art and not official game mesh so there are some differences but it's still a great looking piece.)

http://www.4shared.com/file/81GKCHHr/_2__Emile_Helm_v4b.html

Enjoy!

It's good, but there are some shape issues around the back of the helmet. the jaw is a bit off too. The ears are a mess, you need to join those open edges into the mesh. Overall, a good model, it just needs to be refined.

I agree. Join the edges that need it and also the jaw is really fat, it should be more of a point. Good overall though

Cool, I am working on the open edges right now.

The ears are still sepearate objects and need to be joined to the full piece.

The chin has given me some trouble. The frontal image doesn't really match up with the profile. I've stretch aand manipulated it in Photoshop but the image gets really distorted so I have to make a best guess. But I will throw some deformers on it and try to narrow the chin with out warping the dome too much.

The back of the helm is a mystery in these references so I made it up based on what I could figure out. I don't know if I should cross different references to make it complete, because in either case it's not going to be "Game Accurate" since this is only an artist representation. What do you guys think?

This is a pic from bungie, and really, it's pretty close to game accurate. Crachead released a compilation of Reach pics. He has the EVA in there. my other comments are the visor is too fat, it needs to be slimmed. See where the visor meets the chin an cheeks? Those areas are Waaaaaay to small. I'm editing chevysrule model when time permits, and I'm using the side view as my primary source, then using the front view to give me something to work with.

Ok random question.

Why is it when I mirror my Helm half and import it to Pepakura some of the faces flip and fold differently? What setting am I amissing?

chwbcc said:
Ok random question.

Why is it when I mirror my Helm half and import it to Pepakura some of the faces flip and fold differently? What setting am I amissing?

The mirrored side has flipped normals, or it's something else I don't know about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok here is what I squeezed into my full day of laundry, dishes and goofing off with my son today:

I think it's getting close and I have tried to incorporate all of the suggestions. The lip around the front of the helm where the visor rests was completely wrong, Thanks Boba Fett for pointing it out. I noticed it wasn't really a lip but more of a bevel to the visor so I have incorporated it.

I've also added the vents on the cheeks but I just can't get rid of the cut lines in Pepakura. I have over lapping lines in the 3d file somewhere, I just can't figure out how to eliminate them yet.

I've also deformed the jaw to match the reference images better. I though it was going to look odd but in the end you guys were right it looks a lot better thinner and pointed. I was concerned about the references not matching up but in the end it really didn't matter. I was making it harder than it had to be.

So here is the next Draft of the file. I have reduced some of the polys and removed some of the detail, which I will add back in as I continue to refine the piece.

Thanks for the feedback and let me know what you think of the revisions: Emile Helm Draft 2.pdo

Halo-Reach-Emile-Helm-Cover2.jpg

Looks like the little chin piece could use a little work along with some open edges in the ears...

But I must say that that helmet is AWESOME!!!

It looks pretty good! I will say that the shape is not game-accurate, it's a bit more round than the game. but you could actually turn this into a pretty sick EVA helmet varient. I love the design!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back