Child's Play Auction Custom Odst Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Bradley

Sr Member
Hey 405th!

It's been a while since I've had time and something new to contribute here, so I'm really thrilled to show off one of my newest projects to you!

A few months ago Laird MacLean (Halo Unyielding, Paid in Blood, RvB CanWest) contacted me about donating something to his upcoming auction to benefit Child's Play, the game industry charity that provides games, toys and entertainment to kids in hospitals around the world. After some discussion about the details, I offered to make him a one-of-a-kind ODST helmet for his auction, and to jam-pack it with as many extras as I could muster. I finished this helmet last week, and shot a commercial to show off the helmet for the auction and to demonstrate the custom paint and new feature that I came up with for it: a changing transparency visor effect.

I first thought of how to change the visible transparency of the dark tinted visors with backlighting a few months back, but didn't have an opportunity to test it out until Laird approached me to make something for the auction. I thought that this might draw some extra attention to his fundraiser for Child's Play, and would be a great way to show off this lighting effect to all the other ODST's out there!.

The effect is really simple, I imagine that any of you who want to install it can do so pretty easily. I wired my own led lights inside the brim of the helmet, it's truly no different that the type of LED wiring that everyone installs into their Master Chief helmets, view a tutorial here:http://www.instructables.com/id/LEDs-for-Beginners/ , just that I left the ends of the LED's flexible, so that I could aim them inside the helmet evenly light the face, and to not shine directly into the eyes.

EDIT: Due to new forum image limitations, I had to cut out several photos of the explanation of how the LED's were installed to create the transparency effect, but you can still read about it here: http://www.therpf.com/f24/custom-odst-helmet-made-charity-auction-87679/

IMG_0654.jpg

Lights Off.

IMG_0600.jpg
IMG_0658.jpg

Lights On!

The auction for this helmet begins tomorrow, I'll be updating the addresses in the YouTube description and in the post here when Laird has everything ready to go.

In the meantime if you'd like to see more photos of the finished Child's Play custom ODST helmet you can look through my photobucket gallery here: http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e90/ScaryMonkey75/Laird Auction ODST Helmet/Finished Helmet PICS/

or if you'd like to see more pics of the process of making this helmet and applying the battle worn paint and graphics go here: http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e90/ScaryMonkey75/Laird Auction ODST Helmet/

What do you guys think?

-Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
Think? Idk... my mind just blew from the sheer awesomness of this! It's an awesome idea for an awesome cause!

What a wonderful idea! Awesome work too Sean! looks sweet, and if i had any money i definately would pay big bucks for it!

Cheers, Dave.

damn!

and you made that for free!

you're amazing! whoever buys the helmet will be one lucky... person :p

wow sean that is amazing work and a great idea for back lighting in the helmet so the face is visable. I know this will bring big bucks for a great cause

That. Is. Amazing. This is a really great helmet going towards a good cause. I'm sure it'll auction off for a butt-load. I'm sure several people here want it.

omg, this helmet is sick. Ive been trying to figure out the visor transparency for ages! I even thought of the way that some car windows can electronically change from opaque to transparent and vice-versa lol. If I had the money I would definitely buy this!

You've outdone yourself this time Sean. It's amazing, did you have to get Bungie's "OK" for the logos?

This helmet is so amazing. its the best i have ever seen. I have a few questions though. What is the name of the visor you used? and How many vents did you make and what exactly did you use to cover the wholes?

thanks, and amazing job

hey im sorry for the double post but i had one more question. Do spartans have the swichable visors too and would it be weird if i did the swichable visor on a spartan helmet?

thanks again

Wow. I love this video. First and most importantly, it's for a great cause. I've heard of Child's Play. A guy called MasakoX did a thing for this charity a while. Anyway, I love how the video is presented and explained. I also love the helmet and the way it's explained.

Thanks everybody, it's nice to hear what you guys think about the helmet and the new visor features. I should have some other new things to show this week too! :)

@ God of War: The visor is custom made on a vacuum forming machine by pulling a sheet of clear plastic over a form. Afterward the part is trimmed and dyed.

The vents are pictured in the video, they are 2 at the temple, 2 on the cheeks and 2 on those forward facing spots like where The Mk VI lights are, and 2 in the rear of the helmet, those long trimmed out sections. I used a thin black fabric to cover them, kind of like the fabric that is pulled over speaker enclosures. Look more in the gallery of making the helmet if you need more details.

I'm very excited for the auction to get started. I hope the helmet pulls in some good money for Child's Play.

It's like a helmet made of pure awesome....
Great idea for the color changing visor. It's definitely something new to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back