UNSC SOCOM Trooper-WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xtreme TACTICS 101

Hey everyone,

Because of the forum move, and the new direction I am taking with my original "Weta Marine Armour WIP" I have decided to create a new topic for my progress.

Now, you may be wondering "What new direction?". What I mean by new direction is I am creating a “mash up” of various marine and army trooper armour parts, along with a lot of my own design to create a more down to earth UNSC trooper.

However, unlike typical UNSC Army troopers and Marines, this costume will capture the special operatives side of the military. A completely hand picked Militia of the best troopers of the UNSCMC and UNSCDF. A Militia so highly trained and so good at what they do, they put the name “Helljumpers” to shame. I’m referring to the UNSC’s Special Operative Classified Operations Militia. Or, for short, UNSC-SOCOM.

Now, onto the progress pictures of my UNSC-SOCOM Trooper.

--------------------------------------------------

CONCEPTS

The initial concepts of the armour were heavily based on Weta’s take on the Halo 3 marine. After the release of some images of Halo:Reach’s UNSC Trooper, I decided to integrate some of the design of the UNSC trooper into the marine armour. This eventually revolutionized into what is below.

MarineHelmetConcept2.jpg

SCULPTING

All of the concepts above and MANY more were mashed together to create what is here. Trying to achieve a proper balance of straight, uniform design and curved, round shapes in the armour is key in the production of the costume. If something doesn’t look correct, I go back to the concepts and edit them so the armour looks less like a mash up of random armour parts, and more like a smooth co-operation of similar, but different armour parts.

I have nearly finished the shoulder piece (aside from some small details and touchups). Its design is very similar to the Halo: Reach UNSC Army Troopers, but had been altered to compliment the rest of my costume.

DSC_0079.jpg

DSC_0078.jpg

I must admit, oh, so smooth!

MOLDING

I chose to mold the armour parts with Smooth-On’s Rebound 25 and Plasti-paste as a shell. I also have my thickening agent. A few thousand dollars and 2 weeks for shipping later, this just came in the mail.

(Products here and ready to use!)

DSC_0044.jpg

CASTING

After experimenting with both Smooth-on products and other casting materials, I came to the conclusion that casting with a gelcoat and fiberglass/resin would be the way to go. Its roughly the same cost as the Smooth-on products, but accepts paint and bondo far better. Fiberglass and resin is also far easier to come by then smooth-on products in my neck of the woods.

(Products here and ready to use!)

002-2.jpg

EXPERIMENTAL PAINTING AND WEATHERING

I took an old tank model and began to do various washes and dry brushing to achieve a grimy, faded and heavily worn out look. I want to make my armour look as if it has been through hell, while keeping a Spec. Ops. look. I also wanted to achieve a camouflage pattern similar to the British DPM pattern but in Olive Drab and Yellow-green colors. Having all of the layers of the costume mix together perfectly is my top priority, so I wanted to insure the armour coloration complimented the BDU’s coloration and camouflage scheme, as well as keep with the Special Operatives look.

The colors have been achieved and perfected, but the pattern is still at the concept stage.

DSC_0047.jpg

Tell me what you think!

This is just a teaser of what’s to come. Things may not look Spec. Ops now, but they will. I will be updating VERY soon with some nice, juicy updates of a finished armour part, and two shoulders fresh out of the mold.

Until then, stay frosty.

Jake
Xtreme TACTICS 101

Sounds sweet. I've always thought the marines and Spartans on halo looked underequipped. I'm considering making my reach armor spec-ops. of some sort but thats still in the air. What you've got so far looks great!

Ooooh. Me likey. I'm guessing that tiny greenish thing is what you were working on?

The greenish thing is the colour test. Along with the shemagh scarf and new neck piece (Pictures of those coming soon). I'm working on the shoulder, and it should be going in the mold tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the comments everyone! I really appreciate your encouragement.

Ooh man, lookin' good. You look like you have a great plan going, I really am looking forward to seeing a take on a more spec-ops UNSC trooper.

I like your work so far. the way you described the armor it out in my head looking like my avatar with a few modifications.

I love a fresh concept and some good clay work- I'll have my eye on this build. The worst thing about starting something new is not being able to sleep at night. I don't envy you, but I am jealous of your vision. Gl man, I can wait to see the results.

nice job it's coming out great, can't wait to see it all finished. It will look very awesome, keep up the great work

Again, thanks for the comments everyone.

I have successfully made the mold of the shoulder. This was my first time using a brush-on silicone, so a few mistakes were made. An air pocket was created resulting in a small bubble hole in one of the lower entrenchments. However, its nothing that a dermal can not fix when I cast from the mold.

Trial and error will play a large part in this costumes creation, that is why I did not mold the helmet first. The shoulder is serving as a test, so better results will come from the rest of the armour.

Anyway, onto the pictures.

Before molding the shoulder, I insured that all of the detail was perfect, and the shoulder was as smooth as I could make it. I also created a mold wall to make casting easier so some fiberglass could overlap if needed, and be trimmed later.

DSC_0080.jpg

After molding the shoulder and de-molding it, I was quite pleased that during the brushing on of the silicone, the shoulder was smoothed even further to create a far nicer finish. I initially feared that I would mess up and scar the surface of the clay while brushing the silicone onto the surface. Luckily this did not happen. I even maintained all of the sharp angles with no problems at all.

DSC_0083.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

I made sure I had mold keys so the silicone mold would register properly into the plasti-paste shell. I made a note to next time extend the boarders of the plasti-paste further beyond the silicone so the silicone mold would register far better into the plasti-paste shell.

DSC_0087.jpg

After fretting over the size of the shoulder, I can now say my fears have been laid to rest.

DSC_0085.jpg

DSC_0086.jpg

Height: 19cm
Width: 20.6cm

Overall, aside from a few problematic areas (mainly in the plasti-paste shell) the mold turned out quite well. I will be pulling a cast later today to see if my work paid off.

I will be doing a run of these later.

Stay frosty,

Jake
Xtreme TACTICS 101

Hey great work!
Could you possibly post up a walkthrough of how you cast with that gelcoat and resin/fiberglass?

Hey great work!
Could you possibly post up a walkthrough of how you cast with that gelcoat and resin/fiberglass?
Yes, please do- this has been something I've been interested in for some time now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back