"We Are ODST" helmet painted

Status
Not open for further replies.

torsoboy

So I couldn't find my old thread (guess it didn't get moved), which I thought was in this section. Mods, if this is in the wrong place, please move it - I'm still getting used to the new forums!

Anyways, this is my personal live-action ODST helmet, one of four I'm making for our group. I finished painting it tonight. Our vacformer isn't up and running yet, so no visors yet. But I thought I'd show off some pics.

S7001099.jpg

S7001100.jpg

S7001103.jpg

Looks excellent, can't wait to see the visor in it. Love the paintjob too, it looks like that poor odst really did jump into hell.

Great job, the helmet looks good, nice work on the bondo, the little details like screws and your name on the back is sweet.

If my Mark IV helm looks good as this ill be very pleased.

Wow! thats amazing work! You gotta give me some tips on painting. Mine is a sup-par paint job, your is farr superior. What exactly did you use to paint it. Like, have any tactics or such to work with? The battle damage looks awesome, how did you do it to make it look so realistic?

How did you make the helmet that smooth and refined looking? Are you amazing at peping and bondoing or did you do something else?

How did you make the helmet that smooth and refined looking? Are you amazing at peping and bondoing or did you do something else?

I'm experienced in sculpting. Pepakura should not be the first and only tool for the general prop builder. Just like any modern medium, you should have a good basis in the tried and true techniques. This pep stuff is a really new media. Also having a good understanding of what is intended for the design versus the model itself helps - if the part is supposed to be curved, don't fold it.. glue it flat and let it bend itself into a curve naturally. Also, I'm just using the pep as a base for good proportions. I'm sculpting over it with bondo - I'm not letting the pep define the prop, just letting it start it off. What I've said here is rather vague, but they are just the things I think about when I start a pep project.

Update!

We got our vac table working tonight, and we just made our first two visor pulls. We used some .04" PETG plastic - rather thin, but it formed well and once shaped into the ODST visor, it has pretty decent strength (though, it's not like it's load bearing or anything anyways...). So I popped the first pull into my helmet, and here are the results:

The buck isn't the ideal shape for vacuum-forming. It should be a mound-shape, with supporting sides leading up to the edges of the buck. But this worked well enough for our needs, and because the plastic is thin enough, it can just be trimmed off the buck with a hobby knife.

S7001117.jpg

Our table. Crude, but functional.

S7001118.jpg

Mocked into place with some masking tape...

S7001123.jpg

And here are the finished photos:

S7001130-1.jpg

S7001139.jpg

S7001140.jpg

S7001148.jpg

Just a question: will you let the visor transparent?

The visors will remain transparent because we are building them "as filmed," which also happens to be the non-polarized look.

did the plastic bust a hole when you formed it?

diggin it man

We were worried that it would tear because it's .04 gauge plastic, and it was thinner than I expected. But it held its shape perfectly fine, and once formed into the ODST visor shape, it's pretty strong. But keep in mind, PETG is vacuum-forming plastic. It's not supposed to tear. ;)

This helmet is looking extremely good. What always gets me is the battle-damaged look. I just love it so much.

Noob question about vacuforming- What is it exactly, How is it done, and what materials/knowledge is needed to even attempt this?

That is far and away the coolest paint job I have ever seen on an odst helmet. GREAT JOB!!!

The bullet "holes" actually look realistic too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back