Props "We Are ODST" SMG

Status
Not open for further replies.

torsoboy

Another component to our "We Are ODST" live action ODST costume group is the SMG. This is sort of a hybird, though, as it began as a game-version of the SMG. Of course, the differences between the game 3D model and the live-action model are negligible for the main body portion of the SMG. However, the main differences are in the scope and the barrel.

As I said, this began as a game version of the SMG. So I took the side view of the gun, scaled it to what I thought worked well, printed it out, and traced it onto some MDF. Building began there. Details were sculpted directly into the MDF with my dremel and some other hand tools, and other details were added with 2mm Sintra plastic added to the MDF. The barrel you see pictured here is the beginnings of a game version of the barrel, which was scrapped in favor of the live action version.

S7008925.jpg

S7008928.jpg

S7008938.jpg

Then the gun was molded. For some reason I couldn't find any photos of the mold itself, but here are some photos of the mold preparation. It's a two part Smooth-On silicone mold, and each half is poured in and allowed to cure separately. Then the two halves of the mold are put together and taped up, and then we use the pour spouts to fill the remaining cavity of the gun. That way we can minimize air bubbles in all the details and only have to worry about filling stray bubbles on flat, detail-less surfaces.

S7000470.jpg

S7000503.jpg

Castings are made from solid fiberglass resin with micro bulb filler (thought on this particular casting, the greeblies were Smooth Cast Onyx resin). The castings aren't terribly heavy, thought it's what you might expect of a real firearm of this size. The rear sight is screwed into the top, and the scope and the magazine had to be pinned due to their larger sizes and the surface details preventing screws. The pins are just sections of metal clothing hangers cut and drilled into the parts allowing for deep setting glue.

S7001051.jpg

S7001061.jpg

The barrels for our group are being hand-made out of PVC and sintra. The detail on the movie-style barrel varies greatly from that of the game. However, due to lack of high quality reference materials on the movie SMG, a rough design was built mimicking the grainy details I can make out of screen shots and ECCC photos.

S7001065.jpg

Finished photos:

S7001077.jpg

S7001074-1.jpg

S7001078.jpg

Enjoy!

wow looks pretty sweet xD
@ghettoninga MDF is basically partial board that is been grinded up much finer than normal chipboard with a butt load of glue that in a compression case until it' set.
Alot of places have banned the use of MDF like America I think.. due to the dust particals cause 'down the line' harzards to health.
If you are thinking about doing the same process as Torsoboy I would just use chipboard aka partical board.

MDF is sold widely in the US, EvilFieldy, but you are correct about the health issues - there are lots of hazards. Definitely use a respirator and be outdoors when you use it. It's commonly used in cheap furniture kits (like those $30 desks from Wal-Mart and similar stores) because it's fairly strong and it's cheap (a 4' by 8' sheet of it at Home Depot is around $18).

I will be selling copies, but not at this exact time. I still have to finish up three more costumes before Dragon*Con.

YAY

Another MDF fan!

I used a similar technique on my DMR and the MDF made all the difference.

I'll be waiting for one of these for sale if it's fiberglass resin I'll definatly be wanting one. Can't wait to meet you at D*C Torsoboy.

YAY

Another MDF fan!

I used a similar technique on my DMR and the MDF made all the difference.

I've used it a lot on printmaking back in college for my woodblock prints, and a lot in my sculpture classes as well, so it's a really useful material. Very easy to use, you just have to learn how to use it first (since it sands a little too easily with a power sander).

I'll be waiting for one of these for sale if it's fiberglass resin I'll definatly be wanting one. Can't wait to meet you at D*C Torsoboy.

Yeah man. I'll be there Friday, Saturday, and Sunday in ODST and Ghostbuster costumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back