Props UNSC Reach Dagger

Status
Not open for further replies.

S1l3nt V1p3r

Sr Member
Thanks (again) to Juliet76's awesome blueprints, I'm able to make yet another set of knives from the Halo Universe. I haven't started on any of the work just yet, but I was able to make stencils out of Cereal box Cardboard. The actual blueprints were drawn by hand, since I wasn't able to print it out.

Enjoy!

I made the stencil into two pieces, so it was easier to make the Blade and Grip separately.
00004.jpg

00001.jpg

Nice! You planning on using bondo for filling it out, or clay?

V1p3r works in wood for his weapons, what he's doing here is making a stencil for himself to trace around onto the wood and then he'll cut that out giving him the shape of the knife. He'll do the same thing a couple of times for the handle and then layer those with the blade sticking out of the centre layer.:D

Sorry I haven't gotten in here sooner V1p3r, busy on the M45 blueprints.

Looking good so far! Shame you couldn't just print out the blueprints, having printer issues?

V1p3r works in wood for his weapons, what he's doing here is making a stencil for himself to trace around onto the wood and then he'll cut that out giving him the shape of the knife. He'll do the same thing a couple of times for the handle and then layer those with the blade sticking out of the centre layer.:D

Sorry I haven't gotten in here sooner V1p3r, busy on the M45 blueprints.

Looking good so far! Shame you couldn't just print out the blueprints, having printer issues?

Haha! What Juliet just said. ;)

Yes, I'll be making this out of wood. Plywood to be exact. ^_^ The only thing that's going to be made of Steel is the Blade, which I will most likely to tonight or tomorrow. :)

So Juliet, when will you get the M45 Blueprints done? ;)

Yeah, the wireless connection between my PC and the Printer worked fine for a while, but now it would not connect. So yeah, drew everything by hand. Was not too hard, just taped some cardstock to the screen and traced the blueprints onto the Cardstock. :)

UPDATE!
As you ca see, the grip, the fingerguard and the blade has been cut out. I have yet to shape the grip, glue the fingerguard to the grip, and the Blade is just a placeholder for the Metal Blade I'll be making.

Enjoy!

00001-1.jpg

00002.jpg

That looks like a really good base you have going on. I am really interested to see the progression of this knife. How are you planning on securing the metal blade into the handle?

Ahhh, very nice! I've not really seen anything done in wood before, looks good so far though.

Yeah, you should check out LeeKegan's (Grandun) threads first, they contain a lot of awesome stuff made out of wood. I also have a lot of stuff made out of wood, not as awesome as Lee though. ;)

That looks like a really good base you have going on. I am really interested to see the progression of this knife. How are you planning on securing the metal blade into the handle?

And progress you will get. ;)
As for securing the blade into the handle, I'm just using wood glue. It holds plenty, as well as pins holding it in place. :)

Have you seen nothing that Lee Keegan (aka Grandun) has done?

Looking good, V1p3r. Can't wait to see it finished.

Haha, he obviously hasn't. He's totally missing out. ^_^
Yeah, I think I'm done for today. I'll start on the blade tomorrow. As for now, here is the handle all smooth and ready to resin.

Enjoy!

00001-2.jpg

00002-1.jpg

00003.jpg

00004-1.jpg

00005.jpg

Looking great so far V1p3r! You're doing my blueprints justice again. :D

Working hard on them my friend and hope to have them up ASAP for you all. ;)

Sounds like sweet music to my ears, Juliet. ;)

Also, Updates! :D
The Blade still needs some work (Sharpening, painting, drilling, etc).
Hope you enjoy!

00004-2.jpg

00003-1.jpg

00002-2.jpg

00001-3.jpg

That is simply magnificent. Obviously the blade still needs to be shaped and panrts of the handle rounded, but looking at that rough draft just shows how good it is. I now have the temptation to make a knife even though I do not need one, except now I think I need one.
What kind of sheet of metal did you use?

That is simply magnificent. Obviously the blade still needs to be shaped and panrts of the handle rounded, but looking at that rough draft just shows how good it is. I now have the temptation to make a knife even though I do not need one, except now I think I need one.
What kind of sheet of metal did you use?

Yup, still got some work to do here. :) But thanks for the compliment. :$
I used 3mm thick steel sheet to make the blade. Used nothing but an angle grinder, a metal file and a sharpening stone. :) Hopefully I'll be able to do some sharpening tomorrow. We'll see.

As for making the knife, it's not really that hard. All you need is some wood and some metal, and you're good to go. :) I say go for it!

Hi Viper, the knife looks great. A critique if you will. The slot is just supposed to be indents on both sides. They are there to let blood flow out when you stick it in. I think they are called blood channels.

Well, I don't have a mill, so I just drilled all the way through, and cut out that little section. Still looks sweet, doesn't it? ;P

Actually, that groove is called a fuller. The blood-letting is actually a misunderstanding, they were originally put into swords and daggers to decrease the overall weight of the blade, making them quicker to wield. It also added a degree of strength, since a multi-faced blade is stronger than a smooth-sided blade. Check this link out...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuller_(weapon)

Your knife looks great, though I'm not sure that the fuller was meant to be all the way through the blade, maybe I'm wrong though.

Edit: Sorry, already been mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back