Moddified Mark VI Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishabille

Jr Member
Modified Mark VI Helmet-WIP

this is a work in progress as school is at the top of the to do list.

This is my first attempt and making something along these lines. I started this about 4 years ago in my college dorm room when i was a freshman and its been sitting there at about 25% until a couple of days ago when i decided i had too much free time since its summer. I started off with a paintball mask by JT so that i wouldnt have to do a lot of the pep like everyone else, it also makes it different in many ways. By using the premade mask i cant have the big face shield like in the game and the piece around the mouth is up covering the nose which you can see in the pictures. Ive only invested about 15 hours in this project since i do have jobs to do. The jaw is as complete as i can hope for since its only the styrofoam underlayer, detail work wont be done until after fiberglassing.

this is what ive completed so far only doing about 2 hours most days.

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

lightings poor in my house so thats why the pics are all dark.

Hey, that's pretty cool. Looks a little like Master Chief's helmet from "The Package". That, or a cross between the MkVI and the Hayabusa. Don't forget to seal your foam before you work with the resin, or you might see your foam work start to melt away...

Thanks. oh i am def going to find something to keep the foam from melting. im not putting all that time in this just to see it lost.

heres the sides that ive done now and will continue to work on tomorrow or friday.

IMG_0284.jpg

by friday i should have the sides all the way done and maybe a little of the top of the helmet too.

alright so its been another 2-3 years but I finally got around to trying to finish this damn thing. It wont ever be worn just something that I can set on a shelf and be proud of my lazy ass.

Over the last couple of days I finished applying the blocks of foam on top of the paintball mask. this part was a real bitch since the mask underneath is all complex curves and a couple protrusions that made sticking everything on a pain in my ass.
IMG_1454.jpg
[/URL]
IMG_1453.jpg
[/URL]

i was able to round it all out and remove most of the hard edges in one day. luckily summer school is pretty easy so its giving me plenty of free time to knock this out.
this is all done with a hacksaw blade I broke in half with some pilers. I use it backwards to shave the foam a little at a time until both sides match roughly. the best blade has been the one with the larger tooth pattern, when you start getting into the 32 tooth blade it gets too hard to work through the foam so i stuck with an 18 tooth.

IMG_1456.jpg

this is the last of the foam, just finished it before i threw this up here. off to the bars to drink to my success. tomorrow starts the bondo and then tons of sanding and getting the corners just right.

IMG_1462.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_1463.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_1464.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

9635641e-6311-45e1-9ea7-07dabba42a28.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_1467.jpg

IMG_1469.jpg

update

alright so its been a couple days of surfing the site and trying ideas others have given me to no avail. I tried the eva foam trick with 50/50 PVA glue without any success(it just stayed wet for hours after i finished). Im in the process of coating the whole thing in a very thick layer of gorilla wood glue which has added some stability to the soft styrofoam underneath. next step will probably be finding a two part epoxy or some low heat resin to pour over the top to get the rigidity i want.

ultimately i want this to be as solid as a motorcycle helmet but only to be used as a show piece since it will be no where near DOT approved.

if you have any suggestions or comments please let me know.

thanks
dishabille

Last edited by a moderator:
hahaha yes im going to give it a try just want to build that under-layer up since i went with the wrong foam from the start and dont want to lose all the progress ive made so far.
i just wanted to put it on here so no one else has such a colossal screw up as what im having.

i used plastidip on my car and i know they use it for sealing foam armor but that wont work i don't think for what your doing... i would say just mix up some fiberglass resin and coat the whole thing lightly and make sure the foam soaks it up, it will add a bit of weight but its really the only thing that will give it the form and allow you to bondo over it! how ridged is the foam? is it pretty soft and squishy or is it hard and firm? will it soak up any fiberglass resin?

the only way i could get plasti-dip is by mail and im outta here in two weeks so i think im gonna go with carpathia's suggestion of bar top. its a two part epoxy that dries clear and ill paint over the top of it. the resin would probably melt some of the foam and then id be back to where I started. The foam is just the craft stuff you can get at walmart its pretty rigid but you can use a finger to put a dent in it that stays dented forever, so handling it was tricky. Too much pressure in one spot leaves divots where your fingers were. No it wont soak anything up, its made of millions of bubbles so its extremely light weight which was a main reason i picked it at the time, and when you sculpt it it only breaks the top most bubbles. Ill post a picture of it covered in the glue in the next day or two, it leaves it a little more smooth and you can get an idea of how it looks.

update:

i got the whole thing covered in glue and have started sanding but a lot of the foam seperated and so i have huge gaps to fill. I went and bought some alex plus chaulk to try and fill the gaps without having to worry about sanding or adhesion later.

IMG_1496.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_1495.jpg

and yes they are yellow tinted. it was the glue i used, when it hardened it turned the whole thing that pale yellow but made the outside a hard layer which is a plus hahaha.

any suggestions would be great. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back