Josh's MKIV WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaymin Sky

Hello All. It is I. And I have a new project to share with you; But first, a story.

When I first joined the website last June I was stricken with ODST armor. I got around to actually making a thread and posting some work but the thread was locked due to inactivity and soon I gave up on ODST armor for a number of reasons. Warping, constantly re-pepping pieces that were destroyed due to carelessness, and a slew of files that wern't very accurate.( allow me to point out that I do not blame those who made the files, But I blame myself for craving more accurate files and not being able to do anything about it.) Soon I went for a MKIV project, with inspiration from several other wonderful builds on this forum. Scince about april or may, I have been working on this and several other costumes. But for now, I am dropping all other projects and going full steam with the armor. So enough about my life story and here's my progress.

I stopped and picked up some supplies earlier. I got both fiberglass mat and cloth to try because I don't know what works better.
downsized_0712001351.jpg

These shoulders and gauntlets were recently pepped and are ready for resin.
0712001359.jpg

0712001400.jpg

These thighs and handplate are ready for fiberglassing, after 3 coats of resin.
downsized_0712001347.jpg
0712001348.jpg

Last, I just finished my tester chest piece. Scaled at 420mm Height, I think it's a perfect fit.
0712001357.jpg

That's all for now, more updates soon, Bondo to be applied and as we speak my helm is being crafted. I took a break to post this. Thanks for reading and commenting!

Josh kreza

Bump.(pardon the double post)

I finished pepping my helmet.
P7180007.jpg

the helmet seems to droop inward on the right side, but it's nothing some extra support struts can't fix.

In other news, at this point all my previous pieces are ready for fiberglassing and bondo. But i'm in a bit of a fix. As I said before, I bought both fiberglass mat and fiberglass cloth to try. But I really don't know which one works better. opinions? Thoughts?

Thanks for checking in, more to come.

Nice!!!!! I personally like to use mat because I think it soaks up the resin better, but since you have both I would use mat for first layer and if you do a second layer use cloth so it wont be so pokey on the inside. the cloth will make it smoother so it wont hurt when you put on your armor piece.
you may not need to do a second layer, just if you do, then use the cloth for 2nd layer. good luck!!!!!

Looking good!
I'd recomend using the cloth as the 1st layer. It's easier to poke the cloth into the high detailed areas than the mat. Then use the mat as a 2nd layer.
Nice pep work! I can see that some of the pieces were done with the Edge ID's turned off. A+

Cheers.

Hey guys, more updates

helmet with resin, awaiting rondo
DSC00247.jpg

chest is almost done, I plan on adding some foamies for detail. Also, Insted of going through the insane process of adding all those rediculously small pieces, I have decided to add them as foamies as well.(which explains the blank spot in the back.)
DSC00250.jpg

DSC00249.jpg

DSC00251.jpg

As for my other pieces, They are probably rotting in a landfill by now. A week ago, I went to Chicago for a small vacation. when I left, my pieces were safe in plastic bins, ready for my return. When I did return, I found my pieces were all warped, because countless other things in the shed were shoved in the bins. A similar fate befell my ODST pieces a while back, but this was not an accident like last time. This was due to gross negligence by other members of my family. I shared this story to avoid confusion on future updates, not for sympathy.

So to get where I was before, I'm going to get a craft robo. However, I need some advice. Does the craft robo take letter size paper? I know there is a similar model for the US called the silhouette, but pep viewer for craft robo does not support the silhouette. so I have to buy a model that supports pep viewer for craft robo. I also need to buy the pep viewer and a pep licence.

other non armor costuming news, I picked up some black shoes from wal-mart for 18 bucks.
DSC00252.jpg

I also got thermal underwear for a under armor base.
DSC00255.jpg

I'm also now working on the bluerealm neckseal, Thanks to Adam for making a goodie for donating to the new site.

Thanks for reading and more to come!

You've got some great pepping skills. Very clean, and with no edge IDs to boot. As far as mat vs cloth, I would recommend cloth in the smaller pieces (helmet, biceps, forearms, etc) and mat in the larger pieces (torso, thighs, etc).

One thing though... that is MKVI not MKIV

Oh wow, Epic fail. I cant seem to change the title like on the old forums, So could I get a Mod to make the appropriate changes?

You've got some great pepping skills. Very clean, and with no edge IDs to boot. As far as mat vs cloth, I would recommend cloth in the smaller pieces (helmet, biceps, forearms, etc) and mat in the larger pieces (torso, thighs, etc).

Thanks, I'm blushing. It's really cool to get a compliment form someone who is really good at this. Your amour is coming along fantastic.

I'm putting more coats of resin on the helm as we speak, and a cool thing happened today, My noble 7 came in and now sits proudly on my wall.
0805000932.jpg

pardon the quality, I had to use my phone.

My apologies for the double post, but I have updates.

helm rondoed and bondoed. Still a long way to go.
DSC00327.jpg

DSC00326.jpg

DSC00325.jpg

Thanks for looking, and definitely more to come.

I apologize for the triple post, but I have progress and more questions.
DSC00440.jpg

So I got my silhouette Sd in the mail. I downloaded pep viewer for craft robo trial and warmed up a 1 page hand plate to try it out. I followed the steps to print, and the page came out perfect; registration marks and all. then I proceded to put it on the carrier sheet and cut it out. the first thing i got was a error message that said

"the distance between the registration marks have not been specified correctly. please check the distance between registrations settings in your application program. Error code 251

I did not know how to respond to that, so I moved on. I followed the steps until I was ready to cut. I clicked cut and the machine whirred to life, for about 5 seconds. Then it stopped, and I got this message

Auto registration mark reading failed. reload the media and click cut again. if this does not work correctly, undo the Search registration mark setting and move the blade position to green. error code 210.

So I tried to set it up manually, and that failed too. I searched the web and couldn't find anything. I try to figure things out on my own, because I'm familiar with the no spoon feeding policy of the 405th. But I need some help and I know I can find an answer here.

I would like to apologize for the really lame update, but as soon as I can get this contraption working, I'll have plenty f cool stuff to show off.

Thanks, and definitely more to come

Hey your build is looking great. I purchased the same cutter earlier tonight. So I'll be watching this build to see how it works for you. Keep the updates coming.

Hey, are you still having registration mark problems? If you haven't figured out a fix yet, you probably have to change the size of the margins and rearrange the parts accordingly. Go to this site for more info, but basically I set my margins to 32mm (top/bottom) x 15mm (left/right). Yeah, I know--you'll go through more card stock due to the decrease in usable space, but it'll read the registration marks and cut without any issues. I've got the same model, so feel free to hit me up if you're still having problems.

EDIT:
Oh yeah, you'll have to manually position the cutting head to read the first reg mark. (It'll read the others fine after that.) I think it's because the margins are so big, it can't automatically search for all of them. I also recommend you print from Pep Viewer f/ CraftRobo rather than from Pep Designer. It prints 3 reg marks instead of 4 like Pep Designer (it only reads 3 of them anyway). It'll help you figure out how to orient the paper when loading it based on the onscreen diagram.

Mr. Oreo,

Yes I'm still having the problems.I have actually been using the trial for pep viewer for craftrobo. I'll try out what you said, but I'm confused. When you say margins, do you mean between the registration marks? or actual paper margins? And as for manually setting the cutting head to read the first mark, I tried that before, and it did not work. It cut out the piece, but it told me it could'nt find the first mark and the piece came out not on the lines.

As for Mel's papercraft corner, I've been there. They actually have a forum on his main website too. I posted my problem there and got some mixed responses. Mostly, they have to do with the printer re-scaling the file for printing.
the topic is here:http://www.ebblesminiatures.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=2103

So my list of problems mosty deal with scaling, and I fianlly have a couple of solutions.

change margins to 35x15 and manually position the scanner.

turn off scaling to fit page or anything related( I don't even know how that works.)

well, I'm gonna try it out. Wish me luck!

Most of the pep files that people release have very small margins, something like 5mm or 10mm to minimize total printed pages. But the craftrobo can only read/cut something that has at least 32mm x 15mm. Think of it this way: it's like having a 5x7 picture, but in a 5x7 frame with a 4x6 mat. So if you don't rearrange the parts to fit within those larger margins, the craft robo won't cut the parts that are out to the edges. Soon after I got my CR, I started releasing my unfolds with these larger margins for that reason.

It will also have trouble reading the reg marks if there are any parts placed really close to the corners. Ideally, you'll move the parts away from the corners. If you can't for whatever reason (like a large part that takes up most of the page that will only fit diagonally), what I did was tape a small piece of paper to mask the offending part to differentiate it from the reg mark. After it reads where the reg marks are, I peel off the marks just prior to cutting.

I'll have to check out that forum, because I have the same alignment problems between the printed scale vs. the cut scale. But it's usually not off by much, so it hasn't been that big a problem for my builds.

Mr Oreo,

Thanks for the help on the margin problem. My craft robo reads the marks now. Of course, another problem has risen that I don't even know why. The printer will not cut. I made a video and posted it so others could see my problem.
it's here:
I don't know how to post videos, so I'll look into that.

Soon after I got my CR, I started releasing my unfolds with these larger margins for that reason.

So you have craft robo friendly unfolds? Anything in high definition?

Thanks for all the help guys, and I promise soon I'll have some real armor progress instead of stupid question posts with nothing interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Big news about the Craft robo and big news of where my project is going.

On the craft robo, It Works! Finally!

But For some reason(yes, another problem), it didn't cut exactly on the lines.
DSC00526.jpg

I don't know if this is the file or what, but it's a price to pay to have it working. Although for curiosity and future reference, what causes this and how can it be prevented?

I'd like to thank Mr. oreo again for all the help in getting this thing to work. It's nice to be a part of a forum that has your back.

On my mkvi project, the gut plate has 3 coats of resin and is ready for rondo.
DSC00527.jpg

As you can see, I took extra care to prevent warping.
DSC00529.jpg

DSC00528.jpg

And now for the other big news. If you haven't seen it then you should go here to see Ruze 789's awesome new Spartan III Tuxedo shirts.
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/27026-Reach-Tux-Shirt
They're not available yet, but when they are, I would hope to acquire one. But just the shirt wont do. So until halo reach midnight release, I'm going to push the limits and see if I can get a spartan III or carter helm done. I'd like to do the carter helm by Ruze 789, but the current unfold of the pep is a little daunting. So maybe the spartan III helmet. On the plus side of the sparan III helm, someone might have a spare one that they have lying around; and would be willing to part with for a suitable fee. I'll have to look around.

Anyways, whatever the choice, I'll have the craftrobo warmed up and ready! See ya, and more to come!

OK, So today I made some light progress on the chest and gutpiece.I raised some details on the back using foamies and cardboard form a cereal box. I rondoed the gutpiece and used the left overs to start on the chest.
DSC00547.jpg

DSC00543.jpg

DSC00546.jpg

As for the Reach helmet I'm working on, I decided to go with the noble six helmet. I chose it because it seemed more... Finalized. I printed it out and got it ready for the craft robo. I Have it cut out fully now, and it is getting built as we speak.

Thanks for all the support and more to come...eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back