Our Story so far, Mark VI Armor w/pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLane972

Jr Member
Our Story so far, Mark VI Armor w/pics 10-20 update

So while looking for some insane idea for something to doo (Like I don't have enough hobbies) I came across the IndyMogul video for the Halo Armor, then subsequently found this wonderful meca of information. I always wanted some type of spartan armor, but wasn't paying 800 bucks for the comercial set (that money would be better spent on some obcene piece of Star Wars Armor) I figured I'd give it a go, I have a little bacground in autobody repair and paint, so far I've found that helps. I decided to start with the Helmet, just to see what I was getting into, having never used pepakura before I went with the normal res pep file by robotgenisis, and Thanks really need to go you XTREME Tactics 101 for an awsome scaling tutorial. And I have to say so far...so good.

So here we sit with a helmet folded and glued
Halo_Armor_WIP_2_by_SLane972.jpg

Halo_Armor_WIP_4_by_SLane972.jpg

And here she sits on my deck as we speak, inside is glasse and the outside had the final resin coat (and is currently very sticky)

Mark_VI_WIP_Update_1_by_SLane972.jpg

Mark_VI_WIP_update_1_2_by_SLane972.jpg

Mark_VI_Update_1_4_by_SLane972.jpg

MARKVI_Update_1_3_by_SLane972.jpg

I've got some rough edges to clean up and need to even out the visor. Starting on the mud work (bondo) tomorrow, and getting the inside primed.

Chest peices have been printed and I am hoping to start on that friday.

I have never got to the glassing stage, it always falls apart before that. Yours is looking good at the moment

Just an update, had some significant down time this weekend, friday being rather icky out, I kinda got a little crazy on the pepping, Chest piece assembled as well as the hand plates. Remainder if the upper body and one boot have been printed (ran out of cardstock!) then with great weather today I went nuts on the helmet, right now that is sitting at about 80% done with prep work. Here's a few more pics, and I'll probably update this weekly untill it's complete so I don't clog this up with a bunch of pics of different layers of bondo...lol

Chest piece
Mark_VI_Armor_wip_update_2_2_by_SLane972.jpg

Helmet with top half done and first glaze coat getting ready ot be sanded
Mark_VI_armor_update_2_5_by_SLane972.jpg

Sanded, then ran out of daylight before the second coat could set up
Mark_VI_armor_update_2_4_by_SLane972.jpg

Kinda reminds me of my first truck :p For some reason the left side looks all f'd up in this one, but everything is even, it's just an optical dillusion
Mark_VI_armor_wip_update_2_3_by_SLane972.jpg

Where we stand now
Mark_VI_Armor_WIP_Update_2_1_by_SLane972.jpg

So there you have it, hope to add more next weekend.

And thank you all for the positive feedback on this. I just hope the rest of it goes as well as this has!

7-25 update

Didn't get as far along as I had planned this weekend, with 2 days of rain as well as not having enough material on hand to complete what I wanted, Thats my own fault, I overlooked that when it's 90 outside, resin is gonna kick off faster than when it 65, so I lost a batch along the way. I did have a few issues with the chest, not the end of the world, but will make more work in the detail stages.

One arm with first coat of rein, the other just finished assembling, chest has first layer of fiberglass, back is just resin'd so far. Helmet needs light sanding and ready for primer and paint.
Mark_VI_7_25_update_1_by_SLane972.jpg

Mark_VI_7_25_update_2_by_SLane972.jpg

Mark_VI_7_25_update_by_SLane972.jpg

WEll, its looking like its coming along pretty well. You got further than i did, but im catching up slowly. I had some annying issues with the shoulder piece thats doesnt want to get fixed, so im not sure there. It looks to me like the helmet warped just slightly just as mine did (mine is in my progress thread in my signature). Its not too bad, and its something thats unless observed closely isnt noticable.

WEll, its looking like its coming along pretty well. You got further than i did, but im catching up slowly. I had some annying issues with the shoulder piece thats doesnt want to get fixed, so im not sure there. It looks to me like the helmet warped just slightly just as mine did (mine is in my progress thread in my signature). Its not too bad, and its something thats unless observed closely isnt noticable.

Thanks, the pics do make the helmet looke warped, but it really isn't. well at least as bad as it looks. I'm hoping to put up new pics of the helmet tomorrow, it's sitting primed right now. I had a spot on the front that broke through to an air pocket so I gota fix that, but I think It'll be painted by friday. Chest is coming along by leaps and bounds as well.

Yeah, I went with the low def on the whole thing. Figuring this is my first build and I wasn't sure how it would go I played it safe to start. That and I also wanna have it done (or at least wearble) by the Reach launch while a lofty goal in itself if I don't make that date, my absolute goal is Halloween... I have I high bar to reach with that, having to top my drag queen vampire last year (don't ask...lol) After than I plan on reworking piece by piece if I can and plan of taking it to Portcon next year. I too am interested in seeing how it looks finished, my wife on the other hand, just wants her kitchen back.

Nice armor! what color are you gonna paint it and are you gonna put LEDs in it?
Well, good luck!

nate98.

Was gonna go with the standard green, but having found a blue I really liked, I am gonna go with a more multiplayer armor look. LEDs and a cooling fan are planned. I wanna find a voice amp for it to but no biggie if I can't.

So I finally made it to paint today. Few bungs in it I didn't get (battle damage right?) but overall not bad for it starting it's life as a stack of paper. Gonna add the detail and hopefully finish it up tomorrow.

Mark_VI_Helmet_Base_coat_by_SLane972.jpg

Mark_VI_Helmet_Base_coat_3_by_SLane972.jpg

Mark_VI_Helmet_Base_coat_2_by_SLane972.jpg

SO it's been a while since I've updated, haven't got much along the line of pics right now exept for a few I did last week to include some of the helmet detailing.
The clear lens is just a mock up for when I get the gold one

100_1573.jpg

100_1574.jpg

100_1575.jpg

100_1576.jpg

The ribs on the front still need to be glued in completley. I've got the LEDs and fan to be installed and some touchups to do still. padding for the liner is cut and waiting to be intalled as well, and I plan on ordering the faceshield today. Pics will follow of course.

As for the rest or it, the chest piece is at about 80% and the back is that about 60% done. The right arm pieces have been glassed and await finishing, everything else is peped and assembled and ready to go. I'll try to have the rest of the progress pics up later today or tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back